Ashes Afterglow TC - closing the vault

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Toberone

Re: Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- teaser video pg19

Post by Toberone »

Longtime lurker here, Felt the need to say I'm in love with everything in the recent video! I could not be anymore hype at this point. Immense work!
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- Progress update pg17

Post by Leglock »

ReformedJoe wrote:Just because, here's a quick little gameplay video showing off some new-ish stuff.

To be clear about the state of the project, we are definitely in the back half, if not quite the home stretch yet. But the end is in sight and we're all optimistic about a release this year.

The commercialization of ashes is not something, I think, the team has a moral opposition to. The biggest sticking point with it is the use of assets from other games, but the process of replacing this stuff with original work is ongoing. There's also the hobbyist point and the fact that injecting money into this might produce ugly results and conflict.

It is honestly something we haven't discussed much beyond a basic level. Like Vostyok says, it's something for us to think about
Oh god, I think I have a rocket in pocket :O
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: Re: Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- teaser video pg19

Post by Vostyok »

Jj117 wrote:... I just wish we could meet more friendly npc within the same map instead of going to another map. Do some quests given by friendly militia, or even go help remove monster lair with friendly militias
Hopefully you'll enjoy the little "gang war" I'm making, but will be adding more Npcs to maps, some friendly, some not. It's something I'd like to do more of, but we'll see how it works.

Thanks again for the comments, everyone! Not long now, I assure you. Have updated the front page with some backstory for two new items and one of the two new enemies I've recently added.
atarumoroboshi18

Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- teaser video pg19

Post by atarumoroboshi18 »

So pumped, sounds like things are going great! That video was great! Can't wait!
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Is it possible to make a version of the gameplay mod without the monsters?
ZeroFox

Post by ZeroFox »

Looking forward to this next update so much!
StraightWhiteMan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by StraightWhiteMan »

My God that recent gameplay video looks amazing! Great work so far to say the least. All the updated & new sprites/artwork is spot on, the layout of the map look extremely fun, and the sounds are all perfect. Usually sequels don't shine as bright as the first one, but that doesn't seem to be the case whatsoever here. One minor (although possibly time consuming) suggestion I have is: animating all the idle weapon states to have minor finger/hand movements. I wouldn't normally suggest this, but you guys have the skill to do it, and the game is of high quality where something like that would be considered. Definitely not something that will take away from the game not having it, but would add a little more detail and immersion to it.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Bobby wrote:Is it possible to make a version of the gameplay mod without the monsters?

If you mean just weapons, yes there will be a weapons/items only version of the mod compatible with other mapsets. I'm also planning on a Sterilized map pack which will reduce all the rpg and related elements so that it can be played as a straight shooter or with other mods such as Hideous Destructor.

Finally, although this is awaiting the playtesting phase, we may be releasing a 'Depleted' map pack for those machines that aren't quite cutting edge, but as said, we will see how playtesting goes. Hopefully with all the optimizing we are doing we won't need one.

Edit: one subject of weapon/hand animations, this is something I would like to do from the get go. The sprites so far are all finished, so would be tricky retaining that original style constructing completely new angles. Definitely something I can think about in the future, but not really feasible for this release. Sorry
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

That's great. What do you have left to do?
xx4353

Post by xx4353 »

Vostyok wrote:
Bobby wrote:Is it possible to make a version of the gameplay mod without the monsters?

If you mean just weapons, yes there will be a weapons/items only version of the mod compatible with other mapsets. I'm also planning on a Sterilized map pack which will reduce all the rpg and related elements so that it can be played as a straight shooter or with other mods such as Hideous Destructor.

Finally, although this is awaiting the playtesting phase, we may be releasing a 'Depleted' map pack for those machines that aren't quite cutting edge, but as said, we will see how playtesting goes. Hopefully with all the optimizing we are doing we won't need one.

Edit: one subject of weapon/hand animations, this is something I would like to do from the get go. The sprites so far are all finished, so would be tricky retaining that original style constructing completely new angles. Definitely something I can think about in the future, but not really feasible for this release. Sorry

Then question, if you are doing just a weapon/items version. How will that translate with the upgrading system version of guns? WOuld it be like two differnt version? One with the uprades and one without? Or would it just be one version only
Miguelvillamizar94
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Miguelvillamizar94 »

Could you guys improve the extended barrel for the drevolver? it looks like more a assault rifle or smg barrel attached instead of a large revolver barrel with picatini rails. // Also the sprites will be continue performing as in the first demo? i mean if there will be destroyable parts on the emeies like head and limbs.. By far this is the best mod project ive ever seen. Thansk guys.
Vostyok

(WIP) Ashes Afterglow- DEFCON 5

Post by Vostyok »

Bobby wrote:That's great. What do you have left to do?
It's difficult to answer this one. In terms of content, not a great deal at all, and I'll break it down for you.

All the maps are at least partially complete. This is a total of 19 maps.There are a handful missing some bits and pieces, but on the relatively minor side compared to what we've already done. All the weapons are in place, including their upgraded forms. Some monsters are still missing sounds and a few rotations, but barring the final encounter, they are all in the files now - totaling 8 new enemies to fight compared to episode 1. All the new vehicle code has been finalized, and we're working on a new addition that should be some fun in the badlands.

I can't put a time frame on this yet, real life is getting complicated, but as of this date, we're on the home stretch.
xx4353 wrote:
Then question, if you are doing just a weapon/items version. How will that translate with the upgrading system version of guns? WOuld it be like two differnt version? One with the uprades and one without? Or would it just be one version only
We're introducing a new upgrade kit item that will spawn in regular doom maps and the sterilized maps automatically. So you'll be able to upgrade your weapons as you go, no matter what mapset you're using these with. I've added it to the items guide on the front page, so you know what to look for.
Miguelvillamizar94 wrote:Could you guys improve the extended barrel for the drevolver? it looks like more a assault rifle or smg barrel attached instead of a large revolver barrel with picatini rails. // Also the sprites will be continue performing as in the first demo? i mean if there will be destroyable parts on the emeies like head and limbs.. By far this is the best mod project ive ever seen. Thansk guys.
Not sure about destructible parts, yet. I'm against implementing locational damage at this point. But I'll see what I can do about the revolver sprites.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Final word - this is probably the last screenshots/videos/teasers post in this thread. In order to not spoil anything else, further updates to this thread will be focused on progress toward release- playtesting dates, release date, and final trailer/release. We'll have more information in the coming days.

Thank you for all the patience and support. We hope the finished thing is worth the wait.

Pachira

Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- DEFCON 5

Post by Pachira »

About the Episode 1 update, is that still planned for release with Afterglow?
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Pachira wrote:About the Episode 1 update, is that still planned for release with Afterglow?
Probably at the same time or just before. Besides swapping textures around, and Joe doing a lot with DMW, a lot of it will just be quality of life stuff. I would like to do more with it, but priority is Afterglow at this point.
atarumoroboshi18

Post by atarumoroboshi18 »

Ooh! Man I love how everything looks. It's not just highly detailed, it's got charm and personality too!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”