[WIP] Malice - Version 1.0pre5 [BURNING MELEE!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Twitchy2019
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:27 pm
Location: My Foot,Your Face! (Team Monster)

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by Twitchy2019 »

3: Playtester spots are open until the final version of Malice is released.

Izzat right? Well, send me a playtester link, damn it! I wanna play and stream this! (with your blessings, of course.)
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Posts: 1556
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Twitchy2019 wrote:3: Playtester spots are open until the final version of Malice is released.

Izzat right? Well, send me a playtester link, damn it! I wanna play and stream this! (with your blessings, of course.)
Sent you a message - have fun, and don't forget to set the fullscreen HUD scale!

Speaking of, to anyone who playtests Malice - set fullscreen HUD scale and use a 16:10 resolution. Whatever scale value causes it to fit the screen is acceptable - I'm gonna look into finding a way to remove that step for player convenience.
User avatar
affandede
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:52 am

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by affandede »

Hey, can I pitch in too?
Folding Chair
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:09 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by Folding Chair »

I'd love to play your mod, been looking at it for a good bit.
Gizzard97
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:53 am

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by Gizzard97 »

I would also love to help out with the playtesting. Been keeping an eye on this mod for a while now!
User avatar
Valherran
Posts: 1406
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by Valherran »

I'd like to try it.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Posts: 1556
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Folding Chair wrote:I'd love to play your mod, been looking at it for a good bit.
Gizzard97 wrote:I would also love to help out with the playtesting. Been keeping an eye on this mod for a while now!
Valherran wrote:I'd like to try it.
I'm currently working on reducing the visual FX and seeing if that improves performance, which is a fairly consistent problem reported in playtesting so far - should have a second playtester version to send out sometime today, and I'll include y'all in the next round of messages.
User avatar
AstartesCitizen
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:43 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)
Location: The Phalanx

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by AstartesCitizen »

I want to join in too been waiting for this one.
User avatar
ValeriePalerie
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:10 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by ValeriePalerie »

Another quick observation; reloading the shotgun and AR would be waaaay smoother if there were partial reload states that cut out the pump/charging handle animations when you weren't empty. I know you can cancel out of the charging handle animation but the pump just gets pushed to after your dash/punch/etc.

Oh, also, I've noticed this in a couple of mods already, but projectiles end up a fair amount below where your crosshairs are centered, which makes sniping with the N7 and N12 a bit awkward.
TheOldKingCole
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by TheOldKingCole »

If I can get in on the playtesting I would like to. If it means anything I've done playtesting for 1 or 2 mods before.
User avatar
Turnock
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:29 pm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by Turnock »

If it is still possible, I would love to join in on the playtest. The Weaponset appears to be quite entertaining to use from the videos, and the added maneuverability looks useful. And so far, the enemy pack for this mod is definitely one of my favorite overall.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Posts: 1556
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by TheRailgunner »

ValeriePalerie wrote:Another quick observation; reloading the shotgun and AR would be waaaay smoother if there were partial reload states that cut out the pump/charging handle animations when you weren't empty. I know you can cancel out of the charging handle animation but the pump just gets pushed to after your dash/punch/etc.

Oh, also, I've noticed this in a couple of mods already, but projectiles end up a fair amount below where your crosshairs are centered, which makes sniping with the N7 and N12 a bit awkward.
Partial reload states are actually something that I've implemented in Playtest Demo 2 (the version I'm currently working on - I sent out Demo 1 a few days ago), so expect that next time around. I'm also going to just bite the bullet and lower all of the crosshairs down by a couple of pixels, at least for now.

Furthermore, the pump is being pushed from the end of the animation to the beginning, and is skipped if you pumped after firing and the weapon is empty.
AstartesCitizen wrote:I want to join in too been waiting for this one.
TheOldKingCole wrote:If I can get in on the playtesting I would like to. If it means anything I've done playtesting for 1 or 2 mods before.
I'll loop you in when I send out Demo 2, which should be relatively soon.
Turnock wrote:If it is still possible, I would love to join in on the playtest. The Weaponset appears to be quite entertaining to use from the videos, and the added maneuverability looks useful. And so far, the enemy pack for this mod is definitely one of my favorite overall.
See above - also, there's an enemy pack for Malice? I sure as hell haven't started on it yet (I actually do plan on making one, but it'll likely take much longer than Malice's development time). It seems odd for there to be an enemy pack for a mod I have neither released nor finished - did someone make one?

But yeah, you'll be included when Demo 2 comes along.
User avatar
Linz
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:42 pm

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by Linz »

I think he's talking about the Project Malice enemies mod

Which funnily enough,was the enemies mod I played Malice with
User avatar
Turnock
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:29 pm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by Turnock »

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, I did mean the Project Malice Enemy pack, which, I honestly thought was for this mod due to the similar names.
User avatar
TheRailgunner
Posts: 1556
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Re: [WIP] Malice - Smooth As Hell [PLAYTESTING HAS BEGUN]

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, Demo 2 has been sent out - I will almost certainly end up doing at least one hotfix after I wake up in the morning, but it should hopefully improve a few key issues that have you guys have been bringing up fairly consistently:

*Partial reload functions for the N10 Shotgun, N7 Battle Rifle, and N12 Railgun (reloading these before you empty them skips charging/pumping animations)
*Increased transparency for passive shield graphics
*Minor FX reduction - the N10's, N7's, N12's, CFG's, and Scorpion's projectiles have drastically reduced FX usage. It may still slow down for, say, the CFG, and I still haven't figured out how to deal with the issue with explosion effects and sectors with changing floor/ceiling height, but the improvements should be noticeable and immediate compared to Demo 1. This will likely be something that winds up being worked on further morning, as making Malice more accessible to players is a very high priority.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”