Vulkan CTD when opening automap

Post by Jarewill »

Tested with g4.5pre-44-g486e07300

This happened to me with two different mods:
Rain and this project of mine.
Steps to reproduce:
Spoiler: With Rain
Spoiler: With my mod
In both scenarios it should crash GZDoom.

I think this might have something to do with sprites/textures, because when I tried to make my file smaller and I deleted the sprites, the crash didn't happen.
It only happened with those sprites.
The crash also didn't happen in OpenGL.

Sidenote: My project was not meant to be uploaded anywhere on the internet. I am just uploading it here as a way to reproduce the crash.
The project uses ripped sprites from an old game and it will be removed once this is either fixed, or flagged as user error.
I can't remove the sprites from the project, as they are needed to reproduce the crash.
If necessary, I'll remove this link and send this project in a PM to a developer.

Edit: It seems this might be a duplicate.
I deeply apologize for not checking the forums thoroughly.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Vulkan CTD when opening automap

Post by Rachael »

Jarewill wrote: Edit: It seems this might be a duplicate.
I deeply apologize for not checking the forums thoroughly.
Please don't feel bad about that. It's always better to get a dupe than no report at all. There's also always that chance it's not a dupe.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problem here is actually that the command buffer of the Vulkan renderer is too small and has zero abilities to deal with an overflow, e.g. flushing it out to restart from the beginning.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

That's not correct. There is code in place that makes it flush the command buffer and restart from the beginning.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Which buffer was it then? There's one that causes a crash when it's full. And a very large automap is the primary cause of such overflows.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

VulkanFrameBuffer::WaitForCommands(false) can be called at any time to have it wait for all work to be completed and make it safe to recreate/resize/reuse any buffers.

VKBuffer::Resize is one example of when it does that. To my knowledge there aren't other places where it suddenly runs out of buffer space so that's the only place. Vulkan command buffers themselves can't be overflowed. Naturally there must be something more to it since it still crashes, but my point here is mainly just that the feature for flushing and waiting is in place.

Return to “Vulkan Renderer Bugs”