[Need Help] Doom 2: Martian Buddy lockers

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
J.A. Matlock

[Need Help] Doom 2: Martian Buddy lockers

Post by J.A. Matlock »

:bang:
Does anybody know of a way to create lockers that require a key combination like the Martian Buddy supply lockers in Doom 3 for Doom 2?

More importantly I need to know a working key combination script that can be applied to doors and lockers.

I'm using GZDoomBuilder2.3 & Slade3.

Any help would be highly appreciated. :mrgreen:
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: [Need Help] Doom 2: Martian Buddy lockers

Post by Kappes Buur »

J.A. Matlock

Post by J.A. Matlock »

Hm, while this is interesting, it doesn't quite fit the game I'm creating. I'm thinking it should be a small menu that pops up when the player presses the use key on the key pad. This menu would look like an 11 key number pad, 0-9 & enter. The player would then use the mouse cursor to click on the keys in the correct order to unlock the door, locker, gate, etc. If the player presses use on the key pad, but does not know the code they could simply press use again to cancel.

I'm a decent digital artist so coming up with the map design, textures & overall art is no problem, however, code has always been my weakness & I'm working on it.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Doing a search for key pad I found that some years ago (2005) Wasted Youth worked on a script to accomplish a password protected door with a key pad. I don't know if he ever made his pwad available to the public, though.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I have made a shop interface for my mod that I was able to edit to work as a keypad.
It's not perfect, and only works with 3-number pass codes as is, but can be edited easily.

This keypad is operated using movement keys for selecting, fire for pressing the selected key and altfire for backing out of it.
To my knowledge, ACS does not support mouse movement, so it's not exactly like in Doom 3.

This was made to be "universal", so it takes 3 arguments from ACS_Execute as the pass code.
It also only opens the door it's placed on, as I ran out of arguments to make it execute a script.
If there's a way to execute a script with 4 arguments, I can edit it so it takes arg4 as a script number.

Included is a test map with 3 doors, each with a different combination.
There's a switch behind the player that tells the codes.
The KeyCode script itself starts from below the "ENDMAP" marker in SLADE.
Attachments
KEYCODE.wad
(18.06 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I deeply apologize for the double post, but apparently I lied when I said this:
Jarewill wrote:To my knowledge, ACS does not support mouse movement, so it's not exactly like in Doom 3.
I have managed to make the script support mouse movement with a few things to keep in mind:
- The script requires mouselook to be enabled to work.
- I set up sensitivity to work well with mine, so I don't know how well it will work for other people.
To customize sensitivity edit lines 19 and 20 in the script, changing "50" to any other number. Bigger values lower the sensitivity, while lower values raise it.
- It's set up for 320x200 resolution, so in widescreen the cursor won't get to the edges of the screen.

The controls were changed to be mouse-only.
And pressing fire outside the keypad will close it, just like pressing altfire anywhere.

The test map was not changed at all, only the script was changed.
Attachments
KEYCODEMOUSE.wad
(13.99 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Last edited by Jarewill on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Neat - however, as an inverted mouse player, it could do with a check for that. It makes it very hard to use otherwise.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Right, I fixed it now.
Sorry for not thinking about that earlier Enjay.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Much easier to use. :)

Return to “Mapping”