Floating moving 3d platforms

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
shino1

Floating moving 3d platforms

Post by shino1 »

I recently had an idea to "demake" the levels from Chex Quest HD back to regular Chex Quest. This would definitely be a GZDoom-only map pack, as HD heavily utilizes true 3D features like room-over-room, which would be impossible in Boom compatible maps. However, one thing bothers me - at some point in HD, there is a part where you have to platform across platforms suspended in mid-air above the floor, and said platforms are moving on a set path, both vertically and horizontally.

Here's the part in question:

Skip to 11:15.

So my question is, is there a feature in GZDoom that would allow me to replicate that behavior? I don't care much about aesthetics, I would be satisfied with floating boxes (or floating sprites), as long as they would move in 3D space and that player can stand on them.
Apeirogon

Re: Floating moving 3d platforms

Post by Apeirogon »

With pure mapping skill, no. Unless there are some hacks involving poly object and portals attached to it.
You should use zscript for it. ACS can do so, but it require building hack over hack using hacking hack to do so. It would be very hard to implement I mean.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

It certainly isn't possible with map constructs. Moving vertically is easy obviously, moving horizontally is theoretically possible with complicated portal+polyobject setups, but combining both is a no-go, especially if the platforms would need to overlap at any point.

The best way to replicate this cleanly would be 3D model objects textured to look like lines/flats, and attached to a moving actor. Using Zscript, moving one actor with another actor (like moving the player with the platform) is possible and proof-of-concept has been shown a few times, though I don't have any links at the moment.

8-)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Apeirogon himself has quite a nice example here: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=68771

It needs a bit of final polish, but the basic setup seems to be working quite nicely.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

I would make a 3D model of such a platform then place a custom made simple decorate based invisible solid and nogravity actor that - under it. Then move two actors simultaneously with scripts along interpolated anchors.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

Darkcrafter wrote:I would make a 3D model of such a platform then place a custom made simple decorate based invisible solid and nogravity actor that - under it. Then move two actors simultaneously with scripts along interpolated anchors.
exactly

I actually have a plan that involves making a megawad where all levels are inside a giant skybox and each level is then made up of 3d platforms and other 3d objects
ReX

Post by ReX »

Gooberman had created exactly what you're looking for. I've found that the most convincing way of using this method is to use a model for the platform, rather than the linedef method Gooberman uses in his example.
shino1

Post by shino1 »

Thanks everyone for replies!

Return to “Mapping”