[Community Sequel] [FINISHED] 40 Monsters Challenge

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blue Shadow

Re: [Community Sequel] 40 Monsters Challenge

Post by Blue Shadow »

@CBM: how can I put this?... you're making way too many posts in this thread. You don't need to update the rest of the team on every bit of progress you make on your maps. And the screenshots, even though they're thumbnail-sized, the whole thing is countered by the fact that you post a lot of them.

So try to keep things under control, will you?
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

Blue Shadow wrote:@CBM: how can I put this?... you're making way too many posts in this thread. You don't need to update the rest of the team on every bit of progress you make on your maps. And the screenshots, even though they're thumbnail-sized, the whole thing is countered by the fact that you post a lot of them.

So try to keep things under control, will you?
ok
howeartistic

Post by howeartistic »

@CBM: Man, just saw the progress on the temple, looks great! That is a ton of screenshots though, lmao!
We should make a hang thread for this project so we can share updates. Unless that already exists?

I've been trying to get myself into a map for the challenge. I've got 5 started, lol. I keep getting too into it and making a huge complex level. Anywho, the current one I'm really liking, would anyone wanna take a run through it? There's no monsters or items, just trying to get a nice flow through first. Stay safe, friendos! :D
CBM

Post by CBM »

howeartistic wrote:@CBM: Man, just saw the progress on the temple, looks great! That is a ton of screenshots though, lmao!
We should make a hang thread for this project so we can share updates. Unless that already exists?

I've been trying to get myself into a map for the challenge. I've got 5 started, lol. I keep getting too into it and making a huge complex level. Anywho, the current one I'm really liking, would anyone wanna take a run through it? There's no monsters or items, just trying to get a nice flow through first. Stay safe, friendos! :D
thanks

the whole portal thing turned out to be problematic when line portals and 3d floors are combined so I did a sector portal in the aztek pyramid temple instead

just need to add spawn code and some more details then I can give our fearless leader an alpha release of that map

just hope my cs/call of duty/urban doom map will be just as good. I figured it could be fun to hunt demons in an urban setting

there is no hang out thread
CBM

Post by CBM »

first alpha for the new aztek pyramid temple map for slot 33 and
first alpha for the new monster city map for slot 34...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ppja91grgh0s ... 4.rar?dl=0
howeartistic

Post by howeartistic »

CBM wrote:first alpha for the new aztek pyramid temple map for slot 33 and
Hey dude! Played both, unfortunately I couldn't get past the temple in aztec. Teleport broke? Also, left side of the stairs were missing a texture. I like the idea of the city, but it destroyed my frames, lmao. Maybe more doors and teleport monsters in so they don't all rush you at once? I'm excited to see more of both! :D

My tech hell factory thing is like... 50% done? I've got zombiemen placeholders atm, but I'd love feedback if anyone wants to give it a shot.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Post it here or PM it to me. I may not be able to take a look immediately so please wait. Got some IRL things to take care of in the next few days.
CBM

Post by CBM »

howeartistic wrote:
CBM wrote:first alpha for the new aztek pyramid temple map for slot 33 and
Hey dude! Played both, unfortunately I couldn't get past the temple in aztec. Teleport broke? Also, left side of the stairs were missing a texture. I like the idea of the city, but it destroyed my frames, lmao. Maybe more doors and teleport monsters in so they don't all rush you at once? I'm excited to see more of both! :D

My tech hell factory thing is like... 50% done? I've got zombiemen placeholders atm, but I'd love feedback if anyone wants to give it a shot.
thanks for the feedback, I will look at it, were you using gzdoom? because the portal works fine and I see no missing textures.. running map analysis to be sure though... also... runnning to fast makes you overshoot the entrance
Accensus wrote:Post it here or PM it to me. I may not be able to take a look immediately so please wait. Got some IRL things to take care of in the next few days.
wait for alpha 2 of my map 33 and 34

done.. alpha 2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9qay3z41q0mn ... 2.pk3?dl=0

changes:
aztek
* made lines behind entrance impassable so no overshoot can occur anymore
* checked whole map with map analyzer and fixed anything it found
monster city
* removed the multilevel 3D tower to improve FPS on potato rigs
9Rifleman
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by 9Rifleman »

So, I have finished fixing my maps, with the exception of 36, where I found a problem and I need your input on this, Accensus. No rush though.
Spoiler:
CBM

Post by CBM »

9Rifleman wrote:So, I have finished fixing my maps, with the exception of 36, where I found a problem and I need your input on this, Accensus. No rush though.
Spoiler:
would you mind testing maps 33 and 34 for me?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

9Rifleman wrote:So, I have finished fixing my maps, with the exception of 36, where I found a problem and I need your input on this, Accensus. No rush though.
Spoiler:
One solution is to use https://zdoom.org/wiki/TeleportInSector. The other involves giving the players custom TIDs on map start, which I recall has numerous problems with compatibility so let's not do that.

As for the observing part, you can take a look at 20MCP's MAP42. Try opening it in local co-op and have one player go through the teleporter. The giant cinema screen will turn into a camera that follows the player doing the maze. It was the first makeshift solution I could think of at the time.
howeartistic

Post by howeartistic »

Hey y'all! So, here's my progress. I have to polish textures, tweak monsters and items, and finish the last room (it's just a placeholder for the moment, I like to leave it til last and crank er to 11).
I would love your thoughts on it. Oh, I guess the mutator is one colour, I may add damaging floors (floor is lava), but not sure.
I've been having a blast so far! :D Stay safe, my dudes!

I call it "Refined Tastes". :twisted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NHo3OL ... sp=sharing
CBM

Post by CBM »

awaiting test of my alpha 2 version of maps 33 and 34
9Rifleman
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by 9Rifleman »

@CBM:
would you mind testing maps 33 and 34 for me?
I did try them. They seem to be on a good way. Some remarks below:
Spoiler:
@howe:

While I was at it, I tried yours too:
Spoiler:
@Accensus:
Spoiler:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

9Rifleman wrote:I assigned the TID to players using Thing_ChangeTID through ENTER script(player tids 700-703), but if need be, I suppose I could figure out a script to assign TIDs and avoid this.
You basically did just that. :P
Honestly it's been so long since I last encountered an issue with player TIDs that I don't even remember what went wrong back then, so let's keep this solution until it breaks.

Return to “Levels”