[ABANDONED] Tooltips 0.3.3.1

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Sarah
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 11 (bullseye), Windows 10

[ABANDONED] Tooltips 0.3.3.1

Post by Sarah »

Spoiler:
Tooltips is no longer available on the ZDoom Forum. Thank you.

All of my mods can be found on my GitHub.
Last edited by Sarah on Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:23 am, edited 8 times in total.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [ZScript] Tooltips 0.3.2.1

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Awesome work! Would you mind it if I incoroporated it into Beautiful Doom?

Also, how can I create a linebreak inside a tooltip text? Is it only possible by using the LANGUAGE lump?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hey thanks JGP! And absolutely yes you can incorporate Tooltips into Beautiful Doom!

Uh, do refer to the OP section for modders though - the decision to either incorporate or become dependent on Tooltips is all about what kind of mod Beautiful Doom is. Let me know if I can help at all.

Also, LANGUAGE is just there to make Tooltips multi-lingual. I could release French, German, etc., translations for the menu, and include them in just one file. The engine will pick up the system language and use the correct translations if they are present. It defaults to English; also that's all that's there right now.

For a linebreak, put a \n where you want the line broken off at. It shouldn't matter if the tooltip is defined in the MENUDEF or a LANGUAGE lump, it should obey the linebreak. Let me know if it's not.

Edit - So apparently it does matter where the tooltip string is defined. I made the jump to a LANGUAGE file pretty fast when building Tooltips so I did not catch this bug; currently no solution other than define strings in a LANGUAGE file if you want to use special characters. This is odd, I suspect localization is prepping the string for the text drawer while simply defining the tooltip string in the MENUDEF does not. What preparation needs done? I don't know without seeing it in a debugger.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Thanks! I did eventually figure out the linebreak thing. I also read the section for modders in detail. Tool tips work very well with Beautiful Doom since it has a rather extensive options menu. If you're interested to see how it works, feel free to check it out here: https://github.com/jekyllgrim/Beautiful-Doom (you can either download the latest release or the repository itself with Clone or Download > Download ZIP).
Sarah

Re: [ZScript] Tooltips 0.3.3.0

Post by Sarah »

Tooltips Updates to v0.3.3.0

Out of my own necessity I've updated Tooltips to support Menu Commands. My original intention was to eliminate the CVar dependence for things like debugging toggles, however feature expansion has made that dependency optional now. The idea is to move to net events. At the core, Tooltips just adds itself to the Command class so there can be tooltips when you highlight one, but I took it a step further: I added functionality from the Option class.

Tooltip Commands may also display a value indicator next to the command label. This works like an Option, for example if the Command is a toggle, you can supply a value like "OnOff". For this to work, there still has to be a CVar that is getting changed by some piece of code somewhere, so this is implementation controlled.
Sarah

Re: [ZScript] Tooltips 0.3.3.1

Post by Sarah »

Tooltips Updates to v0.3.3.1

After 2 years of just sitting on this waiting - more like got sidetracked and forgot - I've finally updated the code to reflect this addition to menu sliders. Tooltips sliders may also be disabled, following existing conventions - it should have gotten added back in September of 2020, but I wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to update their chosen engine flavor copy before adding something that might have broken things.

Nothing else has changed, few minor changes to documentation, so updating shouldn't break existing user code.

Package, as usual, can be downloaded from my Google Drive or from the Git Repo.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”