GHOLAZON X: clone rangers (v5)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

GHOLAZON X: clone rangers (v5)

Post by Skelegant »

Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8ldzq8oa ... 5.wad/file
This is a goofy, over the top, 90s comics as fuck helper mod, ideal for huge maps/slaughterwads or folks who are still workin on their doom skills, and is compatible with most weaponsets, monster packs and mapsets.
It definitely isn't for those looking for a regular gameplay enhancement, although if you are then try out Combine Kegan's Combined_Arms, the Tech Monk weaponset shown is coming in the next big update: https://combine-kegan.itch.io/combined-arms
Capn' J made a lil sound add-on for this, try it out if you wanna spice the mod up a little: http://www.mediafire.com/file/d6b5ksti9 ... s.zip/file
MOD INFO AND STUFF:
Spoiler:
Outdated vid:
Last edited by Skelegant on Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: GHOLAZON X: clone rangers (helper add-on)

Post by Captain J »

SIZZLING CIRCUITS! New mod from good ol' Skelegant! Gonna play it, and it's gonna be a blast from the past!
Valken

Post by Valken »

I love it... quirky and fun!
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

So I was casually browsing through Gameplay mods, and some new title caught me eye. And...

OH SHIT! It's a new Skelegant mod! Stop the presses!

And it's so YOU, Ms. Skelegant :) Can't wait to test it proper.
zimxpentagram

Post by zimxpentagram »

Glad I jumped on the forums today or else I would of missed this, can't wait to try it out tonight.
PatCatz2004

Post by PatCatz2004 »

Im actually curious as to when the Tech Monk actually gets released
PatCatz2004

Post by PatCatz2004 »

BTW though, uhm what map pack did you use in the Tech Monk segment of that vid?
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

PatCatz2004 wrote:BTW though, uhm what map pack did you use in the Tech Monk segment of that vid?
Vrack 2, it's a classic for a reason :D it's really fun
Sgt. Ham
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Sgt. Ham »

Holy hell is this mod something! Sure is interesting to see helper mods rise in popularity recently, no? I find the aesthetic of this mod works really well with EPIC 2 I might actually complete it with WildWeasel’s Nazis on UV this time.
Spoiler:
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

Sgt. Ham wrote:Holy hell is this mod something! Sure is interesting to see helper mods rise in popularity recently, no? I find the aesthetic of this mod works really well with EPIC 2 I might actually complete it with WildWeasel’s Nazis on UV this time.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

OK, so my two cents. I like the mod, its funny and gives that Japanese vibe. Definitely gonna do a run of Japanese Community Project with this and Final Doomer or Highway Acceleroid Booster at some point.

So the thing that bothers me is the ally cannot reliably keep up with me. I tested this mod with a couple of Doom 2 maps and found the helpers would not follow at times. Might be prudent to have a recall key to have the helper teleport to the player's location.

Also, if there are Night Sentinel skin sprites, could we see those implemented here. The SSGs these guys use would be perfect for Night Sentinel buddies.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

OK, so I did a video with some gameplay to demonstrate what I was talking about in my earlier post. On map 3, there was an incident where I think I entered a portal at the same time as one of the helpers, and I telefraged em. Dunno if that is intentional or not. The mods and source port used was just Gholazon X, Doom 2, and LZDoom Version 3.85.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/596280835
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

They're not as complex as some of the other helper mods out there, I could make em more intelligent but they'd be way too op if i did that, they're not really meant to beat the entire map for you (in regular gameplay that is, the included maps they can mostly clean up themselves lol)
no night sentinel skins btw, i assume that's a doom 4 thing and this is kinda just its own mod :D
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

This is great! AND it can be combined with Lt. Typhon for maximum brawn!
Sgt. Ham
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Sgt. Ham »

After getting around to actually playing this mod, I'd like to give some feedback on the issues I dealt with on my playthroughs:

-On maps like EPIC 2 where there are decoration props that touch the ceiling, they can actually get stuck in the ceiling if they go on top of them. Either making them able to pass through them without going over them, allowing them to teleport near you like the Lt. Typhon marines, or a recall button like what Twitchy2019 suggested would be appreciated.
-I understand that being able to be killed by the girls' powers is a design decision, but them going "Super Saiyan" and becoming a walking killfloor does way too much damage to the player. I lost my entire Gold Armor from that :(
-After you've played as Sapphire once in your entire playthrough, you can't collect more of the 5 hearts afterwards to be able to play as her again in the playthrough.
-You can actually get telefragged by the girls which can be annoying at times.
-This final issue is more of a personal taste, but I think her Super Shotgun feels weak after using Lt. Typhon's SSg for so long. I think it should do the same damage as Typhon's and, not being a sawn-off shotgun, could also be more accurate; keep the reload speed as is so as to not encourage overuse.

I'll let you know if I find anything else. Amazing mod regardless.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”