[Abandonded] "Man Is The Warmest Place To Hide"

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] "Man Is The Warmest Place To Hide"

Post by Captain J »

This Thing is really scary and intense to play. The bodies are everywhere, and enemies are now craving fresh place... Of yours. And i think some feedback of it might help:

- It's based on a Survival Horror Movie, right? I think the mod is giving rather too much of ammo.

- Axe's First Person sprite gets cut off when you swing it.

- For some reason i still can use healing items at full health.

- Because of the creature, enemies revive or escape from their former host. I would like to explode or burn the corpse to prevent the revival. I guess this might take more effort to make it real?

- I see some radios still functioning around the map. I can't pick them up nor destroy them. What's the purpose of the Radio?

And btw thanks so much for using my gib sound effects!
The Philosopher
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by The Philosopher »

Captain J wrote:This Thing is really scary and intense to play. The bodies are everywhere, and enemies are now craving fresh place... Of yours. And i think some feedback of it might help:

- It's based on a Survival Horror Movie, right? I think the mod is giving rather too much of ammo.

- Axe's First Person sprite gets cut off when you swing it.

- For some reason i still can use healing items at full health.

- Because of the creature, enemies revive or escape from their former host. I would like to explode or burn the corpse to prevent the revival. I guess this might take more effort to make it real?

- I see some radios still functioning around the map. I can't pick them up nor destroy them. What's the purpose of the Radio?

And btw thanks so much for using my gib sound effects!
Thank you very much for playing!

- Well its based in both the Movie and the game, the problem with the ammo is that in previous feedback some people said the opposite: that i was giving too little ammo

- Axe sprites was made by OSJC becuase i didnt want to use the ones from Brutal Doom V21, maybe i will change them or add the hands idk

- Hmmm i dont know how to solve that problem

- Like i said previusly, this will take time maybe i will look into BD Destroyable Corpses code to give mr an idea for that

- The radios originally were meant to have a Save Function instead of the manual save function but because its prohibited to replace the manual saves function they are just decoration for now.

No Problem! those sounds are very satysfing to hear.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Why, thanks for the reply!
The Philosopher wrote:- Hmmm i dont know how to solve that problem
You probably could use a base from the other games like Strife and Hexen. Hope it works properly.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Loving the evolution so far. Here are some of my new nitpicks

- FLASH M202 pickup sprite could be slightly resized down (around 0.2 less)
- Radio calls frequently get spammed around. In the SNDINFO lump, you can use the $limit command to choose how many sounds you want at a time.
- Try using blood sprites or decals, since models usually get kinda bugged up and take up performance (considering this mod uses BD Blood as a base)
- Sgt. Mark IV has released Bolognese V3 recently, so you could take a peek at the code, which is still Zandronum-friendly, i think.
- In the same vein, he also made the VietDoom sprites avaiable, so you might want to use some of his weapons (not that i don't like the originals, but you understand).
- I know you like the Beretta 92, but the Doom vanilla sprite makes it so... bland. There are some cool options around the forums, i can even provide some of my own if you're interested.
The Philosopher

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Loving the evolution so far. Here are some of my new nitpicks

- FLASH M202 pickup sprite could be slightly resized down (around 0.2 less)
- Radio calls frequently get spammed around. In the SNDINFO lump, you can use the $limit command to choose how many sounds you want at a time.
- Try using blood sprites or decals, since models usually get kinda bugged up and take up performance (considering this mod uses BD Blood as a base)
- Sgt. Mark IV has released Bolognese V3 recently, so you could take a peek at the code, which is still Zandronum-friendly, i think.
- In the same vein, he also made the VietDoom sprites avaiable, so you might want to use some of his weapons (not that i don't like the originals, but you understand).
- I know you like the Beretta 92, but the Doom vanilla sprite makes it so... bland. There are some cool options around the forums, i can even provide some of my own if you're interested.

-Point 1 and 2 will implemented soon
-I will look into BD 21 Blood stuff for updating the Gore Stuff
-The reason that i still use Ketchup is that is easier for mr to edit since Bolognese uses ACS to spawn the gore on monsters and the other reason is that some of the blood models in Bolognese spawn as black squares (i use LZDoom)
-He really made the Vietdoom sprites for public use? Hmmm i will look some of them
-Thanks! sure, every help is welcome my friend
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, making the weapons mainly Cold War-era would be fitting given the time period.
The Philosopher

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah, making the weapons mainly Cold War-era would be fitting given the time period.
Ehhh, the weapons are actually from that era.
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

The Philosopher

SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

What's wrong? Someone asked what was in the original film, so here it is.
The Philosopher

SLON wrote:What's wrong? Someone asked what was in the original film, so here it is.
Ahhh, no no, there isnt a problem, i was just confused
But regarding the weapons, i based on that same list plus the list of the Game and of the Prequel, also i included the MG3 and the PM rifle since both are from that era and some of the NATO countries use them
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

I like the mod, I am pleased with the concept but it could definitely see some improvements.

First of all flamethrower needs to be somehow reworked, it burns through ammo (pun 100% intended) too quickly to be an effective weapon, it's more like get out of jail card for downing certain enemies that you don't want to resurrect or whatever.

Now the other thing I would prefer even though it would be very hard to do is the "thing" itself should be more......scary (?) in my opinion. The brute (red thing if my memory serves me) is rather terrifying but that's all. I was expecting more grotesque, disgusting stuff like from the movie. I was hoping this would be more of a survival horror mod with emphasis on horror, and this wasn't as scary as my expectations were. Good mod nevertheless don't get me wrong, but I was hoping it would be more horror themed.

Now I know you're limited with the resources you have (or can use) and all, but I'm just thinking out loud here. No hard feelings.
Keep working on the mod, it's great so far. :yup:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

SHayden wrote:First of all flamethrower needs to be somehow reworked, it burns through ammo (pun 100% intended) too quickly to be an effective weapon, it's more like get out of jail card for downing certain enemies that you don't want to resurrect or whatever.
I actually thought the same thing, but i think eating up a lot of ammo is kinda reasonable because it would make the mod less survival-horror themed otherwise. And besides, the hosts eventually burst to bits.
Now the other thing I would prefer even though it would be very hard to do is the "thing" itself should be more......scary (?) in my opinion. The brute (red thing if my memory serves me) is rather terrifying but that's all. I was expecting more grotesque, disgusting stuff like from the movie. I was hoping this would be more of a survival horror mod with emphasis on horror, and this wasn't as scary as my expectations were. Good mod nevertheless don't get me wrong, but I was hoping it would be more horror themed.
Now that you've mentioned it, i think dogs are quite comical-- they spit blood projectile despite them being the melee enemy.
The Philosopher

SHayden wrote:I like the mod, I am pleased with the concept but it could definitely see some improvements.

First of all flamethrower needs to be somehow reworked, it burns through ammo (pun 100% intended) too quickly to be an effective weapon, it's more like get out of jail card for downing certain enemies that you don't want to resurrect or whatever.

Now I know you're limited with the resources you have (or can use) and all, but I'm just thinking out loud here. No hard feelings.
Keep working on the mod, it's great so far. :yup:

If you are refering to the Blowtorch then the you are using it wrong, you need to damage first the things with a normal weapon and then use the Blowtorch, now if you are refering to the actual Flamethrower you need to know that is one of the most damaging weapon in the mod plus it has a very long range, maybe i can make it more damaging in the future but the ammo usage i think is fine

Now, concernig the sprites, i have previusly said that making sprites similar of the ones from the Movies or the Game is very difficult, how i compensate that? well making the monsters have the same behaviour of the game, and concerning the "Survival Horror feel" i was thinking of making an "Experimental Version" with the same ideas of the main version but with features more closer to Resident Evil but first i have another mod in my head.
The Philosopher

Captain J wrote:Now that you've mentioned it, i think dogs are quite comical-- they spit blood projectile despite them being the melee enemy.
at some point I gave the Hounds some sort of "Flesh Hook" that worked like the hook of the Loremaster

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”