[Abandonded] "Man Is The Warmest Place To Hide"

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
The Philosopher
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: [WIP] "Man Is The Warmest Place To Hide"

Post by The Philosopher »

theroguemonk wrote:noob question.... when do we know the mod or A mod is updated .. does the date of the first page change or not?
Well depends on how the author of the post works, recently i showed some images of the new weapons in the next update
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

any of you played the thing game on old console? i love that old game so much
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Could the shotgun be made to not pump every time it's selected?
For the first time it's good, but it would be nice if it was one time only.
Sometimes I want to select a shotgun and use it and not wait an extra second.

And also what's the deal with the two "backpack" belts the player starts with?
They give a lot of shells, but barely any bullets.
The Philosopher

UPDATE 1

Updated link in the First post, see Update 1.txt inside the Zip for list of changes
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

Love the new weapons in this update. Are you planning to cover the other monsters like the Archvile or the boss monsters?
Eggs
Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Post by Eggs »

I wrote a manual/guide for the mod, so i'l post it here for anyone who needs it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11qBtZ ... TLvxPl8NZe
edit: Corrected spelling errors.
edit number 2 : fixed link?
Last edited by Eggs on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Philosopher

Eggs wrote:I wrote a manual/guide for the mod, so i'l post it here for anyone who needs it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11qBtZ ... tJtTLvxPl8
Hmmm, it gives me an error but when i will see it can i have your permission for putting the link in the OP?
Eggs

Post by Eggs »

The Philosopher wrote:
Eggs wrote:I wrote a manual/guide for the mod, so i'l post it here for anyone who needs it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11qBtZ ... tJtTLvxPl8
Hmmm, it gives me an error but when i will see it can i have your permission for putting the link in the OP?
No problem, I'l see whats up with the file, all go for putting it in the post, use it as you wish.
Eggs

Post by Eggs »

guide thing should be fixed now.
The Philosopher

Now is fixed, posting it in the OP soon
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

barosans wrote:a nice mod for the DarkDoom mod
I actually used darkroom in my video
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Ooooooo this mod is cool. I always thought a doom mod based on The Thing would be cool, and this certainly doesn't disappoint. Couple suggestions though, based on about a half hour of playing:

-The shotgun pumping every single time it's selected needs to go. It's unnecessary, slows the player down, and feels way too "action"-y to fit the tone of the mod.
-On a similar topic, the shotgun's firing sound feels kinda weak, and could use a little more oomph.
-The option to burn corpses to prevent them from getting back up or spawning scuttlers would be a very cool mechanic.
-The reload animations for some guns could use some more bells and whistles, even if it's just manipulating offsets. Though more sprites and detailed animations would be great.
-This could be just me, but the player's hands combined with the use of ketchup give way too much of a Brutal Doom vibe, and kinda put a damper on the horror atmosphere. Perhaps different assets for the gore and/or different hands could work better.
-This is a nitpick, but the fact that some of the sprites are using the same names as vanilla sprites creates some issues with brightmaps.
-The marine chatter on the PDAs could stand to be quieter or have a longer delay between voice clips, because while they do certainly help the ambiance, the frequency and volume quickly makes things sound more chaotic than I would like. A bigger variety of clips would be cool too.

And that's all the suggestions and criticisms I got! Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoyed my time with this mod, and I am very excited to see this develop
The Philosopher

Whoah wrote:Ooooooo this mod is cool. I always thought a doom mod based on The Thing would be cool, and this certainly doesn't disappoint. Couple suggestions though, based on about a half hour of playing:

-The shotgun pumping every single time it's selected needs to go. It's unnecessary, slows the player down, and feels way too "action"-y to fit the tone of the mod.
-On a similar topic, the shotgun's firing sound feels kinda weak, and could use a little more oomph.
-The option to burn corpses to prevent them from getting back up or spawning scuttlers would be a very cool mechanic.
-The reload animations for some guns could use some more bells and whistles, even if it's just manipulating offsets. Though more sprites and detailed animations would be great.
-This could be just me, but the player's hands combined with the use of ketchup give way too much of a Brutal Doom vibe, and kinda put a damper on the horror atmosphere. Perhaps different assets for the gore and/or different hands could work better.
-This is a nitpick, but the fact that some of the sprites are using the same names as vanilla sprites creates some issues with brightmaps.
-The marine chatter on the PDAs could stand to be quieter or have a longer delay between voice clips, because while they do certainly help the ambiance, the frequency and volume quickly makes things sound more chaotic than I would like. A bigger variety of clips would be cool too.

And that's all the suggestions and criticisms I got! Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoyed my time with this mod, and I am very excited to see this develop
- Yeah probably i will remove it
- I will replace the sounds with the ones from CS 1.6 in the next version
-What weapons specificaly?
-I will not replace the hands or the gore, maybe i will add a sleeve to the hand sprites but bothing more
- Hmmm i will look ove that
- Maybe is ignorance but i dont know how to lower the volume on the sounds, do you know of a way? Also there is 2 types of PDA with different chatters maybe i will add more in the future
- About the corpses, sounds like a good idea but my decorate skills are not good enough, maybe i will look into BD destroyable corpses to have an idea

Thanks for having fun with the mod!
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I was thinking that pretty much all of the reloading animations across the board could use a facelift, since most of them just kinda move down, make a noise, then move back up. I believe you can lower the volume through the SNDINFO lump, but the ZDoom wiki should have your answer. And I think the addition of a sleeve to the hands would be cool. Hell, I think the addition of various snow-related things would be pretty cool, like snow, people wearing big winter coats instead of doom marine armor, maybe some wind sounds for ambiance or even a new skybox. Dr Cosmobyte's Nightshift mod is a solid example of what I'm talkin' about
The Philosopher

Whoah wrote:I was thinking that pretty much all of the reloading animations across the board could use a facelift, since most of them just kinda move down, make a noise, then move back up. I believe you can lower the volume through the SNDINFO lump, but the ZDoom wiki should have your answer. And I think the addition of a sleeve to the hands would be cool. Hell, I think the addition of various snow-related things would be pretty cool, like snow, people wearing big winter coats instead of doom marine armor, maybe some wind sounds for ambiance or even a new skybox. Dr Cosmobyte's Nightshift mod is a solid example of what I'm talkin' about
I was thinking of using the Artic wolf player sprites but that would also mean that i would need to replace all of the dead marines sprites and the Dying Marine ones

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”