[Abandonded] "Man Is The Warmest Place To Hide"

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
The Philosopher
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: [WIP] "Man Is The Warmest Place To Hide"

Post by The Philosopher »

XLightningStormL wrote:Personally I'd prefer to see weapons that would more benefit The Thing's era, and time setting, so:
1) Instead of the Bwutal D0w0m flamethrower opt instead for a better sprite (i.e such as the really bad example Flammenwerfer from uhh Moon Man.pk3 {this is the only source I could think of off the top of my head that uses that flamethrower, sorry])
2) Use the VietDoom M16 instead of the bd19 AR (not exactly accurate considering that VD's is a M16A1, and a M16A2 would be a better option, but gotta work with what you gotta work with) and give it a burst-function instead of semi-auto.
3) Eschew the Gauss Cannon entirely, maybe replace it with the Grenade Launcher, make it a M79, have it be reloadable, maybe even got the RE2-route and give it incendiary rounds or something.
4) Replace the 5 Slot GL with Dynamite (I can provide you with proper tan-colour Dynamite sprites based on the Thing mind you, as I'm using such a weapon for RN)
5) Maybe instead of using a greyscaled Shotgun, and just replace it with VD's Ithaca M37 (that appeared in The Thing according to IMFDB)
6) Replace the starting weapon with a .44 Revolver (something like what MacReady uses in the movie, just upscale it for .44 so it's not pointless, once again VD has the assets for it so :P)

Just suggestions, not dictating :P

You mention making a mapset, you might wanna check out Cold as Hell, since that's basically The Thing From Another World meets Doom.

1)I Already replaced the Brutal Doom's flamethrower sprites with the Toaster one from Realm667, maybe i will check the flamethrower from Moon Man, but you seem embarrased suggesting things from that mod, what is about? Is the mod you mention bad or something?
2)I dont know if the next version i will keep the M16 but i will sure check out Vietdoom sprites
3)The Gauss Cannon will be replaced with a M202 Flash since if fits the Heavy Weapon type and also fires Fire-damaging Rockets
4)I will replace the Grenade Launcher with a Scoped AG3 Rifle just like in the movie
-As for the dynamite, maybe i could make it like a quick grenade option with limited ammo?
5)I think its more easy to rename the Shotgun to Remington 870 dont you think?
6)I already working on the new weapons starting with the Revolver.
The Philosopher

Okay people, thanks anyone with your suggestions and feedback!
This is the list of new features for the next version:

-Replace the Dog sprites with the ones from Artic Wolf
-Replace the Player and player-related sprites with a more Artic style
-Replace current weapons with a more Movie-Related arsenal
List of New Weapons:
Spoiler:
The Philosopher

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:First of all, thanks for choosing me as a beta tester!

Secondly, sorry for taking long to post feedback about the mod. I could not download the new version because i am having deep troubles with the internet (otherwise i would show some new tricks in Nightshift :p)

I also wanted this feedback to be private, but since i am not going to be harsh, i don't see reason to not post here.

This list is based on the beta version you sent me. With that said, let's start:

The first thing i noticed is that the mod inclined a lot to the Brutal Doom side. This is not an offense, not at all. But i think Doomguy black gloves are as already as bland for all of us as the standard gloves, and they basically pass the feeling that the mod is going to be "action packed". This is rather a personal mumbling, so i am going to go ahead and say that i would invest in some new sleeves, i dunno, maybe a heavy coat.
Spoiler:
I swear i have more to say but i forgot a bunch. I will give a spin with the new version as soon as possible and give you new ideas.

If possible, i have a ton of Resident Evil things here too, so i can provide some resources.

Keep rocking, this is my favorite (and i bet a lot of guys here too) horror movie. You don't see movies as good as this even today. Carpenter is a genius.
- Hmm, i didnt encounter that problem, i will test it if ever happens to me
-In the new version the only reloads that stop you entirely are the M249 and the Gauss Cannon
-The new version has a semi invisible enemy but with the basic Carcass stats
-In several post i said that the priority for the next version will be the Movie related arsenal so expect that soon
-in the new version there is a Dog Thing but the next version the sprites will be replaced with Husky sprites.
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

i loved the old game! it was aamazing lol but today prob it be seen as crap

i have issue where you neer see enemies drop ammo ? hterefore its useless to muster on
Last edited by theroguemonk on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Philosopher

theroguemonk wrote:i loved the old game! it was aamazing lol but today prob it be seen as crap

i have issue where you neer see enemies drop ammo ? hterefore its useless to muster on

You can find ammuniton among dead bodies
Eggs
Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Post by Eggs »

Putting in my two cents, the mod is great, however I've only got one real complaint, I honestly don't like the title music is plastered on every level, Maybe only keeping it up on the title screen would work better, i know its pretty easy to remove by myself, but this is just a small complaint.
I also don't know what those red balls everywhere are for, i tried blowing them up, but they only seem to just block my way.

That's pretty much everyone of note during my small testing play though, no bugs yet.
The Philosopher

Eggs wrote:Putting in my two cents, the mod is great, however I've only got one real complaint, I honestly don't like the title music is plastered on every level, Maybe only keeping it up on the title screen would work better, i know its pretty easy to remove by myself, but this is just a small complaint.
I also don't know what those red balls everywhere are for, i tried blowing them up, but they only seem to just block my way.

That's pretty much everyone of note during my small testing play though, no bugs yet.

The red balls for now are just decoration, you can hear an heartbeat if you stay close to them.
theroguemonk

Post by theroguemonk »

Eggs wrote:Putting in my two cents, the mod is great, however I've only got one real complaint, I honestly don't like the title music is plastered on every level, Maybe only keeping it up on the title screen would work better, i know its pretty easy to remove by myself, but this is just a small complaint.

I LOVE SOF do you want to make a mod? let me know i can help with sprites
theroguemonk

Post by theroguemonk »

The Philosopher wrote:
theroguemonk wrote:i loved the old game! it was aamazing lol but today prob it be seen as crap

i love to philosophy

also what do you mean they are all imp like monsters no soldiers and they dont drop ammo ...

what are you talking about exactly

the dead bodies on teh ground do not contain anything i tried pressing use ont hem toobut nothing inside them
Eggs
Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Post by Eggs »

Well, after a bit more playing around I've managed to scrape up a bit more.
Ammo from dead marines is extremely rare, and considering at the start of the game where you may only have the m16, this causes problems as there is no ammo, and too many things to shoot at. Maybe taking SUAB's approach and having the common enemies drop say, 1 bullet upon death might solve the early game death trap on maps where they expect you to live off zombie men pickups.
theroguemonk

Post by theroguemonk »

Eggs wrote:Well, after a bit more playing around I've managed to scrape up a bit more.
Ammo from dead marines is extremely rare, and considering at the start of the game where you may only have the m16, this causes problems as there is no ammo, and too many things to shoot at. Maybe taking SUAB's approach and having the common enemies drop say, 1 bullet upon death might solve the early game death trap on maps where they expect you to live off zombie men pickups.
why only one bullet

also i am up for a SOF mod
Valken

Post by Valken »

Awesome work! Please make a monsters addon only mod as well so we can use our favorite weapons!
The Philosopher

Eggs wrote:Well, after a bit more playing around I've managed to scrape up a bit more.
Hmmm, well currently i am working on the new arsenal so i will adress the ammunition managment, for now try to find Small Ammo Suply from dead marines and remember that they are Inventory Items so you need to use them first to receive the ammo
The Philosopher

theroguemonk wrote:
The Philosopher wrote:

i love to philosophy

also what do you mean they are all imp like monsters no soldiers and they dont drop ammo ...

what are you talking about exactly

the dead bodies on teh ground do not contain anything i tried pressing use ont hem toobut nothing inside them
Did you search among the dead marines? They randomly drop an item called "Small Ammo Suply" you need to press the use button first to receive the ammp
The Philosopher

theroguemonk wrote:
why only one bullet

also i am up for a SOF mod
Excuse me but what SOF means?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”