[RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.08

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kabuto

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by kabuto »

Max Dickings wrote:Okay hear me out -

Side-version of DN3D that consists of the weapons of DNF 2001 now that we have access to it. Instead of weird glocks we get a powerful golden deagle, that M16 that can fire 40mm (rocket ammo), and that awesome slinged shotgun? Yes please :wub:

PSA the DNF 2001 alpha build was released and is available on moddb, tricky to get working though. I think have it run from the C drive solved my problems.
Kipo wrote: That would be awesome, sadly it's way out of my league, since it requires working with 3d models. But it's doable.
Have you thinked in do in it with sprites from the internet ? I mean there isn´t sprites based in the 2001 version (At least i dont know none ) But you can try to make weapons that function similrarly but with a diferent models(Ex. the railgun from shadow warrior for the railgun in DNF 2001) Also the duke nukem 3d mods DNF 2013 and Kickass edition have sprites similar to the models of DNF 2001 for the M16, the shrink gun, the rocket launcher (In th case of DNF 2013) and the golden eagle(In Kickass.)
kabuto

Post by kabuto »

Speaking of Kickass Edition, you should totally check out that mod if you need new ideas for your mod. It has some very interesting stuff.
P.D: Keep up the good work, this is one of my favorite mods!
OverDriver05
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by OverDriver05 »

Here's a little suggestion: Please make an option to disable those pesky Sentry Drones!
kipo

Post by kipo »

kabuto wrote:Have you thinked in do in it with sprites from the internet ? I mean there isn´t sprites based in the 2001 version (At least i dont know none ) But you can try to make weapons that function similrarly but with a diferent models(Ex. the railgun from shadow warrior for the railgun in DNF 2001) Also the duke nukem 3d mods DNF 2013 and Kickass edition have sprites similar to the models of DNF 2001 for the M16, the shrink gun, the rocket launcher (In th case of DNF 2013) and the golden eagle(In Kickass.)
Nah it would be cooler to export the models and just use them as cosmetic replacements. Like having the m16 instead of the ripper, but only visually.
OverDriver05 wrote: Here's a little suggestion: Please make an option to disable those pesky Sentry Drones!
Have you tried the latest versions of the mod? The sentry drones have been nerfed a long time ago, so they are not even a threat anymore (they are actually rather easy). Also they now share the same enemy slot with other enemies, so they won't even come in packs anymore.
On the other hand, I think I need to add a slider for the slimer eggs % of appearance, because although the slimers have been fixed already (they die instantly when attacked whilst facehugging), they can be annoying (or traumatizing) for some people.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

For whatever reason the enemies aren't switching to their "frozen" palletes when being killed with the Freezethrower.
kipo

Post by kipo »

That's a new one. Are you using other mods?
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

kipo wrote:That's a new one. Are you using other mods?
Just the Sterilized version of Ashes Afterglow. Was having a blast otherwise, really felt like a proper Duke mappack.

EDIT: Figured out the problem. It was happening because I was using the latest devbuild of GZDoom. Dunno why that breaks it, but w/e.
kipo

Post by kipo »

That's good to know. I just tried that last gzdoom version and found no problems. I hope such issues don't reach the public release version in the future.

Edit: I tried the devbuild and there's indeed a problems, seems like it's not recognizing its own internal translation "Ice". I hope the devs notice it.

Btw, you are right Ashes Afterglow feels like a proper duke mappack. The previous releases also fit well with the Duke.
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Lord Misfit »

kipo wrote:Edit: I tried the devbuild and there's indeed a problems, seems like it's not recognizing its own internal translation "Ice". I hope the devs notice it.
This feels like something that should be reported in the Bugs forum, considering I've been noticing this happening as well on an entirely different mod. It's not too likely the devs will notice this otherwise, because the only vanilla game that uses Ice damage in GZDoom is Hexen, where monsters that can be frozen all use unique sprites and not the 'Ice' translation. x.x
kipo

Post by kipo »

Thanks, I see you already reported it.
Talon1024

Post by Talon1024 »

This mod is one of my favourites so far. The palette changes and enemy additions really make it feel like Duke Nukem 3D. However, there is an awful slowdown bug on some maps. Is it OK if I look into the issue and release a fixed version of this mod?
kipo

Post by kipo »

Sure man, thanks.
Talon1024

Post by Talon1024 »

All right, enjoy the framerates.

The performance issues were caused by voodoo dolls. Since DukePlayer has A_GiveInventory calls, the voodoo dolls were placing ridiculous amounts of "waiting" items into the player's inventory. I replaced the "waiting" item with a proper variable in the ZDukePlayer class, and I also wrote two new ZScript functions to work with this variable, while checking if the caller is a weapon, voodoo doll, or player.
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

Red trooper have an issue with his teleport. Once he's reappear, he stand still and cannot be harmed or killed.
kipo

Post by kipo »

Talon1024 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:31 am All right, enjoy the framerates.

The performance issues were caused by voodoo dolls. Since DukePlayer has A_GiveInventory calls, the voodoo dolls were placing ridiculous amounts of "waiting" items into the player's inventory. I replaced the "waiting" item with a proper variable in the ZDukePlayer class, and I also wrote two new ZScript functions to work with this variable, while checking if the caller is a weapon, voodoo doll, or player.
Thanks that's awesome, as I understand it this slowdown only happens in maps with voodoo dolls? or does the fix improve the frame rates in general?

The 'waiting' logic was inherited from don ramon's base mod, so I didn't think much about (he probably fixed it in his last version too). But it makes sense now with other reports from other people. I'll test it later, do you mind if I include the fix in an update (with credit of course)?
Ac!d wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:10 am Red trooper have an issue with his teleport. Once he's reappear, he stand still and cannot be harmed or killed.
That's a bug with gzdoom which I already reported, and it seems they fixed it, but I'm not sure how that works since the latest release still has the bug. For now you can use a previous gzdoom release (before 4.8.1).
Here's the bug report: viewtopic.php?t=75846

Return to “Gameplay Mods”