[RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Vordenko
Global Moderator
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:21 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Clonka Minkus

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by Vordenko »

This mod has quickly become one of my favorite Duke Nukem 3D x Doom gameplay mods out there. I absolutely love everything about it, and I found a new love for double barrel shotguns with the one in here :P

That said however; there is some issues I'd like to point out, and if they have been stated before I apologize:

- In multiplayer games, if you die while shrunk, sometimes you will keep your shrunken fists. You can switch in and out of them however, and I think it happens to player 2 and so forth exclusively?

- Due to the Cyberdemon replacements being able to fight each other, this can break some map progression when a bunch of the boss monsters that were all originally cyberdemons start to infight. I suggest adding the flag that prevents damaging actors/classes of the same class/species.

- The regular shotgun's alt fire consumes both the in-chamber and from the ammo pool ammunition.... intentional? I can understand the latter, since it is really strong. Just struck me as a little off. I think perhaps making it so it consumes 2 rounds per shot in the chamber could be a little bit better. Or just make it consume from the ammo pool directly in large quantities.

All this said, this is a solid mod, with some minor inconveniences, but overall it's a really awesome experience!
kipo
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by kipo »

Thanks, you are right about most things. There were some compromises I had to make along the way.
Vordenko wrote:- In multiplayer games, if you die while shrunk, sometimes you will keep your shrunken fists. You can switch in and out of them however, and I think it happens to player 2 and so forth exclusively?
Never noticed this bug, I'll try to recreate it. Thanks for reporting.
Vordenko wrote:- Due to the Cyberdemon replacements being able to fight each other, this can break some map progression when a bunch of the boss monsters that were all originally cyberdemons start to infight. I suggest adding the flag that prevents damaging actors/classes of the same class/species.
That won't work because my mod randomizes the aliens, so even if you have two cyberdemons in doom, you can have one cycloid emperor and one overlord in my mod, and since they are different species they can infight and damage each other (and if they are from the same species, they will not infight but they can damage each other).
This is a tough one, since some people enjoy the infighting, even on bosses, and this also makes the mod easier since some bosses can be tough. I was planning to add some customization options for this, like: no infighting, infighting thresholds, reduce infighting damage, infight species, etc. But I'm not sure how this will turn out.
Vordenko wrote:- The regular shotgun's alt fire consumes both the in-chamber and from the ammo pool ammunition.... intentional? I can understand the latter, since it is really strong. Just struck me as a little off. I think perhaps making it so it consumes 2 rounds per shot in the chamber could be a little bit better. Or just make it consume from the ammo pool directly in large quantities.
Yes this was intentional, since it's very powerful. The proper way would be to have a different ammo class (like in duke nukem 64), but I already have a lot of ammo classes in my mod and didn't want to complicate things even more, so I went for a simpler approach. At first I wrote some complicated code to make it consume 4 shells from the chamber (and if you don't have 4 it'd reload automatically), but when I tried it I didn't like it, it killed the flow because you were reloading too often, or had to overthink about shooting regular bullets or the explosive ones. I tried smaller numbers too, but it was still not fun (from my experience).
kipo
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by kipo »

Just to post an amazing addon by G-F, "Nuke Gloves" which gives gloves to all the weapons/hands.

Download links in the video:
User avatar
Max Dickings
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by Max Dickings »

I made another thing

The Duke 64 dual mp5k's to replace the ripper/chaingun



(Edited 12/04)

Just needs to be loaded after DN3DooM

Despite what kipo says credit to him for providing the new proper tracers and shell ejections!


Btw kipo I forgot you added Doom monsters into this mod, so I gave it a whirl right now. I'm really impressed, you even kept headshots and the appropriate sprites for doom enemies! I didn't know how badly I wanted this until you made it possible, thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Max Dickings on Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kipo
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by kipo »

Hey that's really cool!
I did some rearrangements to the chaingun code to have pistol casings & aligned smoke/tracers/casings for the dual mp5k's (attached file).
Feel free to tweak it if you feel something is off and/or include it in your package for completeness. No credits needed (it's just moving some xy offset values).

And thank you too for the kind words, glad you enjoy it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Max Dickings
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by Max Dickings »

kipo wrote:Hey that's really cool!
I did some rearrangements to the chaingun code to have pistol casings & aligned smoke/tracers/casings for the dual mp5k's (attached file).
Feel free to tweak it if you feel something is off and/or include it in your package for completeness. No credits needed (it's just moving some xy offset values).

And thank you too for the kind words, glad you enjoy it.
Oh this is perfect, thank you!

And thanks and credits to G-F there is now a gloved version!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruklenuts
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:11 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by Bruklenuts »

on Delta Touch I keep getting an error when i kill the pain elemental's

vm execution aborted: division by zero

Called from ZBaseActor.A_SpawnChildren at DN3DooM.pk3:zscript/baseactor.txt, line 959
Called from Doom_PainElemental.StateFunction.165 in Doom_PainElemental
Called from state Doom_PainElemental.165 in Doom_PainElemental
Called from Thinker.Tick [Native]
Called from ZBaseActor.Tick at DN3DooM.pk3:zscript/baseactor.txt, line 1416
kipo
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by kipo »

Thanks for the bug report. I can see why it happens, however it doesn't seem to be a problem on PC.
I cannot make a proper release right now, so I'm uploading this quick fix (load it after DN3DooM.pk3).
I cannot test this since I don't have Delta Touch, so please tell me if this solves the issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Ashat Maself
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:32 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by Ashat Maself »

The moddb page won't load, could you send the file from somewhere else
kipo
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by kipo »

It seems to be working now
Bruklenuts
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:11 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by Bruklenuts »

kipo wrote:Thanks for the bug report. I can see why it happens, however it doesn't seem to be a problem on PC.
I cannot make a proper release right now, so I'm uploading this quick fix (load it after DN3DooM.pk3).
I cannot test this since I don't have Delta Touch, so please tell me if this solves the issue.
yes it does, thank you so much man this mod is great
kipo
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by kipo »

Awesome, thanks!
User avatar
Axer
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:00 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by Axer »

Very awesome mod thanks. Tested most/all of the other duke 3d mods for doom and this is by far the best.

Been playing it with running late 2. I tested it briefly with an easier pack and found it makes duke rather badass so this worked better, its pretty hard with a ton of monsters.

Though in a later map with 400+ monsters i got quite a lot of lag after a while.. Newer GZDoom builds this often happens. What's the minimum version that can run this?

And any recommended mappacks that are pretty challenging, but not so many monsters per map to play this with?

Cuz yea, its cool.. But this makes duke mega strong, especially compared to don ramon's where he feels weaker than Duke3D or regular doomguy..

Cuz yea the shotgun is very strong with headshots, and shoots faster than normal which multiplies that effect.. Than add it's ULTRA powerful explosive shots alt fire and yea its insane.. Barely need a different weapon esp in Running late 2 since it has tons of shotgun ammo everywhere. It's higher ammo usage offsets it, but in a mappack like that, imo not enough.. Could even cost 6-8 a shot on there, but that obviously depends heavily on the map pack you run. Cuz yea i like it's insane power for hard mappacks, but it has to be balanced out somehow.. Perhaps a forced reload between shots could balance it.

Or also have an option/nerf to the headshot damage.. I read 4x by default? too op.. Something like 1.5x would be plenty.

Cuz yea as is, it kinda makes many of the other weapons obsolete (in maps with lots of shotgun ammo) which isn't ideal.

Only other minor critic i have is the chaingun canon feels quite different and not in a great way, feels like it shoots far off to the left because of its screen placement and the tracers.. And in practice it does appear to aim a tad left of the crosshair, tho not much as it visually appears too. And it's sound is really different from the original. Not a fan of the tracers for it especially, other guns it's okay.. Perhaps add an option to turn off tracers per weapon?
User avatar
Max Dickings
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by Max Dickings »

Okay hear me out -

Side-version of DN3D that consists of the weapons of DNF 2001 now that we have access to it. Instead of weird glocks we get a powerful golden deagle, that M16 that can fire 40mm (rocket ammo), and that awesome slinged shotgun? Yes please :wub:

PSA the DNF 2001 alpha build was released and is available on moddb, tricky to get working though. I think have it run from the C drive solved my problems.
kipo
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 am

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Post by kipo »

Axer wrote:Very awesome mod thanks. Tested most/all of the other duke 3d mods for doom and this is by far the best.

Been playing it with running late 2. I tested it briefly with an easier pack and found it makes duke rather badass so this worked better, its pretty hard with a ton of monsters.

Though in a later map with 400+ monsters i got quite a lot of lag after a while.. Newer GZDoom builds this often happens. What's the minimum version that can run this?

And any recommended mappacks that are pretty challenging, but not so many monsters per map to play this with?

Cuz yea, its cool.. But this makes duke mega strong, especially compared to don ramon's where he feels weaker than Duke3D or regular doomguy..

Cuz yea the shotgun is very strong with headshots, and shoots faster than normal which multiplies that effect.. Than add it's ULTRA powerful explosive shots alt fire and yea its insane.. Barely need a different weapon esp in Running late 2 since it has tons of shotgun ammo everywhere. It's higher ammo usage offsets it, but in a mappack like that, imo not enough.. Could even cost 6-8 a shot on there, but that obviously depends heavily on the map pack you run. Cuz yea i like it's insane power for hard mappacks, but it has to be balanced out somehow.. Perhaps a forced reload between shots could balance it.

Or also have an option/nerf to the headshot damage.. I read 4x by default? too op.. Something like 1.5x would be plenty.

Cuz yea as is, it kinda makes many of the other weapons obsolete (in maps with lots of shotgun ammo) which isn't ideal.

Only other minor critic i have is the chaingun canon feels quite different and not in a great way, feels like it shoots far off to the left because of its screen placement and the tracers.. And in practice it does appear to aim a tad left of the crosshair, tho not much as it visually appears too. And it's sound is really different from the original. Not a fan of the tracers for it especially, other guns it's okay.. Perhaps add an option to turn off tracers per weapon?
Thanks, I guess. You must have pretty decent skills, I tried that map pack and it was hard, I even run out of shotgun ammo on some occasions (although I try to complete the levels without saving so that probably makes my playthroughs more frustrating). For extra challenge try not to disable any of the additional duke enemies (lameduke's octabrain is a pain in the ass for example), and you can set the portable medkit heal limit to 100%. You can also add some Doom enemies to the mix, 50/50 random per sector is a nice combination (doom's chaingunners are harder than duke's chaingunners imo), and it also adds some surprise factor.

About the lag, I think Lzdoom is better in that regard, there's also performance options in my mod that can get rid of the lag. For the mappacks, I play mostly with Obsidian (level generator), adding tons of monsters and big maps (you can tweak it to find the sweet spot).

Btw, the headshot damage is mostly 2x (4x was in the very early versions of the mod), and you can also disable hs damage (for extra challenge).

Thanks for the feedback. I have many notes for improvements for next versions. I'm on some kind of break from doom modding so I don't know when that's going to be.

Max Dickings wrote:Okay hear me out -

Side-version of DN3D that consists of the weapons of DNF 2001 now that we have access to it. Instead of weird glocks we get a powerful golden deagle, that M16 that can fire 40mm (rocket ammo), and that awesome slinged shotgun? Yes please :wub:

PSA the DNF 2001 alpha build was released and is available on moddb, tricky to get working though. I think have it run from the C drive solved my problems.
That would be awesome, sadly it's way out of my league, since it requires working with 3d models. But it's doable.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”