[c9a69d9] [SW] Replacement music also affects the intro

Moderator: Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[c9a69d9] [SW] Replacement music also affects the intro

Post by sinisterseed »

While trying to reproduce a bug, namely trying to replicate custom music packs such as MusicallyInspired's SC-55 ones reportedly not working I managed to stumble upon something else entirely.

The new tracks incorrectly affect the theme playing in the intro as well. That's supposed to stay the same unless also replaced, but it does not.

To reproduce:

1) Download this, it replaces track02.ogg which normally plays on the first map - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UxNdkU ... sp=sharing
2) Load it in Raze with -file and start SW. You will notice that the music playing in the intro is incorrect now.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [c9a69d9] [SW] Replacement music also affects the intro

Post by Graf Zahl »

The theme is set to track 2 as well. The full game doesn't have a MIDI for it so it obviously selects the CD track as a fallback, so if you replace track 2 it also replaces the theme.
I normally play with CD emulation off and the MIDIs from the shareware available and if that is done, the proper music will play.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you want me to change here.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:The theme is set to track 2 as well. The full game doesn't have a MIDI for it so it obviously selects the CD track as a fallback, so if you replace track 2 it also replaces the theme.
I normally play with CD emulation off and the MIDIs from the shareware available and if that is done, the proper music will play.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you want me to change here.
In this case nothing, if it's intended behavior, but it sure is a dumb feature then.

So the intro was also set for second track... had no idea about this. Ideally it should've been different from track 2 since if you replace that song it affects the intro as well, but if it's just the way it was coded, not much to do I guess.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It may have been dumb but CD-Audio had the unfortunate limitation of being very constrained in terms of data size. Remember Hexen? It even reused some of its theme tracks on levels whose music didn't fit on the CD anymore. The same problem exists here. The CD was full and the missing music had to be substituted. The real irony is that the CD tracks do not really sound any better than the shareware MIDIs being played with a good softsynth so in retrospect it really hurts the game that its MIDI soundtrack got shitcanned before release.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:It may have been dumb but CD-Audio had the unfortunate limitation of being very constrained in terms of data size. Remember Hexen? It even reused some of its theme tracks on levels whose music didn't fit on the CD anymore. The same problem exists here. The CD was full and the missing music had to be substituted. The real irony is that the CD tracks do not really sound any better than the shareware MIDIs being played with a good softsynth so in retrospect it really hurts the game that its MIDI soundtrack got shitcanned before release.
Well, it all depends on the tracks I think. Some definitely won't sound as good with MIDI playback then they do with CD music. Hexen's music is also somewhat difficult to get right depending on the soundfont, choruses tend to sound quite cheesy sometimes.

I wish SW had a full MIDI soundtrack as well though, similar to Blood although Blood's CD music is quite strange at times. It's also interesting that SW had tracks changed after the Shareware, at least 2 MIDIs are different from the CD music. I like the more action-y one that was used first on the second level, but the other one was replaced for better IMO as it didn't fit the levels as well as its CD replacement does. But it reminded me an awful lot of the 1995-1996 iteration of the game though.

This is what really sucks balls, an entire soundtrack was canned for the game... the SW alpha music was brilliant :( . But I think the released prototypes contain it, so whatever.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

lowskill. wrote: But I think the released prototypes contain it, so whatever.
Where to find those? The map definitions still have the MIDI setup, but the files were left out of the final game.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:
lowskill. wrote: But I think the released prototypes contain it, so whatever.
Where to find those? The map definitions still have the MIDI setup, but the files were left out of the final game.
The prototypes are all on Steam, grabbed by downloading the free version of SW (not Redux).

I'm not sure if they are directly downloaded with the game or if it requires switching to beta channels or something though, never tried it myself. I only know they're there somewhere.
Gammli

Post by Gammli »

I think Graf may not use Steam so here's the midis from the prototypes in one zip:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/c00p59z3 ... c.zip/file

Return to “Closed Bugs [Raze]”