[SW] Improved weapons FOV

Moderator: Raze Developers

sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[SW] Improved weapons FOV

Post by sinisterseed »

This is basically something I suggested quite a while ago, but I figured I should finally make a topic for it so it's not forgotten.

Something that always bothers me in SW - and Duke, to be frank - is that the weapons FOV is atrocious with the full status bar enabled as it covers too big a portion of the sprites. Some ports such as Redux (and I think Megaton and WT as well) changed something here so that the weapons go much farther away from the screen than they do in the other ports, including Raze, although I cannot even begin to guess what. It would be so good to have this changed in the future.

For comparison's sake, this is how the Riot Gun looks like in Raze: https://i.imgur.com/XKidRBZ.png
And this is how it looks in Redux: https://i.imgur.com/Qa0WgHT.png

The same sprite is used in Raze, I borrowed it from Redux, and as it can be seen, the distance of the weapon from the screen with the full status bar drawn is different.

Redux actually has its own .def file where some offsets are mentioned for the altered weapons, which made me think it simply hacked their offsets, but other weapons that are not mentioned in its custom .def file, such as the Uzis, are also drawn farther from the screen there, so this is probably not it.
mjr4077au

Re: [SW] Improved weapons FOV

Post by mjr4077au »

This might be something better suggested upstream? Hendricks266 and others are working hard on getting VoidSW ready for proper usage and it's probably right it's fixed there.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

mjr4077au wrote:This might be something better suggested upstream? Hendricks266 and others are working hard on getting VoidSW ready for proper usage and it's probably right it's fixed there.
Perhaps, doesn't sound like a bad idea.

But Duke should also be brought to attention because it suffers from the same issue.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

I wonder how much of that stuff between the games can be unified, like HUD and player input code, etc?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not much. They use totally different approaches to do these things. And in SW it gets even more complex because the weapon and status bar are done with the same logic.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:And in SW it gets even more complex because the weapon and status bar are done with the same logic.
Aaaaaaand that's not the optimal way of doing it, isn't it :v ?

I think Blood suffered from a similar issue with drawing stuff in older builds.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Generally speaking, the weapon sprite implementation is rather messed up in all the Build games - not one of them has such a clean and transparent system as the Doom engine and as you might guess, once people started to expand the Duke 3D engine, all this got scripting hooks as well, making things even more complicated and hard to follow.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [Raze]”