Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.3)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.10 BETA)

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:Thanks! Not played much Marathon myself, so I'm not sure I'm your man for that one!
I know, I was just highlighting the irony of porting a Doom killer to Doom; at this rate, it is only a matter of time before someone decides to redo the Marathon Trilogy too! :lol:

But to tell the truth, this total conversion does remind me of Marathon a lot, I am not really sure why. Maybe it is the level design, the dark environment or even some of the weapons?

Anyway, looking forward to 1.0! :D
Captain J wrote:And now i'm wondering, can we expect to see the new map pack? Like what if Alien Breed had some kind of expansion or community map pack?
Oh yes, please! A community map pack would be especially great, especially if it features better level design than the original game. :wub:

Either that or a side-mod that lets you play vanilla mapsets with Project Osiris' arsenal and bestiary!
zxdunny
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by zxdunny »

At the risk of sounding like a moaner (again) the changes to the levels are what's stopping me playing the latest update, so a map pack of the original levels would be lovely.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote: I know, I was just highlighting the irony of porting a Doom killer to Doom; at this rate, it is only a matter of time before someone decides to redo the Marathon Trilogy too! :lol:

But to tell the truth, this total conversion does remind me of Marathon a lot, I am not really sure why. Maybe it is the level design, the dark environment or even some of the weapons?

Anyway, looking forward to 1.0! :D
It's interesting that you call it a "Doom killer"? Do you just mean that was the intention or that it was actually better than Doom? If so I can't say I really agree with that myself. Though the engine was very clever considering the limitations and could do some things that Doom couldn't, and I do have a lot of nostalgic affection for AB3D, I gotta say I don't think it holds a candle to Doom in the end. Just my view of things though!

As far as the Marathon comparison goes, I can sort of see what you're saying. Especially since Osiris renders them at a resolution that you can compare them a bit more easily.
The simple lo-fi level designs and the slightly awkward hand-drawn sprites have a similar feel. (I don't even mean that negatively btw, it's charming!)
Captain J wrote:And now i'm wondering, can we expect to see the new map pack? Like what if Alien Breed had some kind of expansion or community map pack?
I've definitely thought of doing a map pack somewhere down the road, like a new 16 level set with more modern design. I'd want to get the demo maps out first though (will be working on those after 1.0) so that people have the extra enemy types and resources to work with. That said, I also want to work on some different projects at some point, so it might be some time before I get to making all-new maps. In the mean time people are always free to make mods and maps if they want to, I'd love to see that.
zxdunny wrote:At the risk of sounding like a moaner (again) the changes to the levels are what's stopping me playing the latest update, so a map pack of the original levels would be lovely.
At this point, I plan to put out the 'clean' maps as a separate download, but they'd be intended more as a resource, than a proper way to play the game. Even these maps will be slightly different as I made some changes during the recreation process (cleaned up what seemed like line misplacements, fixed some texture bugs etc) and certain differences between the engines had to be worked around, such as the way certain lift platforms work.

The thing is, the goal of this project was always to make a modernised AB3D with (what I hope are) improvements to the maps and gameplay, and I never meant it to be an exact clone of the original. The mere fact it's in GZDoom makes it a fundamentally different game, with different physics and so on. For a long time I was a bit torn as to whether to add a 'classic' mode with the original maps and old gameplay style, but making and maintaining a whole seperate balance that's slightly closer to the original doesn't seem worth it to me. It would be two broadly similar versions of the same thing, neither of which are exactly true to the original game anyway.

You don't sound like a moaner or anything, don't worry about that. Could I ask what exactly puts you off though? Is it that it's further from the original game, or something specific about the changes I made? I'd be interested to hear the feedback.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Sorry. What I meant is that Alien Breed 3D was meant to be a "Doom killer", as it was one of the Amiga's attempts at offering an alternative to Doom. Of course, it ultimately failed, so it is both nice and ironic that the game would find a second life on the engine of the very game it was meant to rival.
aconike

Post by aconike »

This game is unreal and FAMOUS. The atmosphere, super gameplay and atmosphere + is made up of the best person on the PC scene! Thank you!

ps. Take a look at my last PM and write to me in the PM if you could adjust the levels for me according to the photos I sent.

Thank you
Sgt. Pepperoni

Post by Sgt. Pepperoni »

First off, I wanted to congratulate you for all your hard work ! I never had the chance playing the original back in the day, despite having an Amiga, but thanks to you I had the chance to, and it was a blast !

Have you figured how to implement the underwater effect you struggled to replicate, yet ? If not, have you considered using a rippling post-processing shader ? It might do the trick, I don't know much about GZDoom, but it might worth doing some digging.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

It's not possible to recreate the rippling effect of Alien Breed 3D with a GZDoom shader, neither a post-processing nor a fragment one.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Sgt. Pepperoni wrote:Have you figured how to implement the underwater effect you struggled to replicate, yet ? If not, have you considered using a rippling post-processing shader ? It might do the trick, I don't know much about GZDoom, but it might worth doing some digging.
Yeah a shader would really be the only way to do it, but something about how GZDoom works at the moment means I'm unable to add a refraction effect. Something to do with shaders not being able to access what's behind it? Or something like that? I'm not really knowledgeable on the subject, but that's what I remember being told, and I haven't seen it implemented elsewhere. I really want to have it too, but it depends on what the devs of GZDoom do.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

GZDoom's shader support does not include access to the depth buffer, so you only ever get access to a pixel of one specific surface (sprites are considered surfaces as well), and anything behind it off limits. Hence, the rippling effect is not possible.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You could try things with the post-process shader, but then it'd apply to the entire screen -- not to a specific area of world geometry. One could imagine using chroma-keying techniques to solve that issue, but then it becomes really, really hacky and you can expect weird jank as a result.
aconike

Post by aconike »

Hi,
I have a question
when will the new version be
Write some new info, what will be there, what you have improved, what you have done for good new things, how many secret rooms you have made and so on.

Please (if you want) if you would be willing to make some new bikes - something like a special section with suggestions, and we might add something to me and let me finish it.

Thank you
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:You don't sound like a moaner or anything, don't worry about that. Could I ask what exactly puts you off though? Is it that it's further from the original game, or something specific about the changes I made? I'd be interested to hear the feedback.
Ok, sorry for the delay in replying. I have no excuse. Please don't take this as whining, I'm trying to be constructive :)

The lighting is fantastic, the gameplay is spot-on, I can live with those weird green and blue pickups if I absolutely have to (though would prefer to be able to go back to the original pickup graphics if possible an option like being able to use the original weapons). But what I really don't like are two things:

1) Drops to prevent backtracking. Level 2 has one at the entrance to the third room (which serves only to annoy if you accidentally fall down it - you then have to fight to get to the switch to raise the stairs... but if you've played it before then you just stand at the top and wait for the enemies to come to you and pick them off one by one as they can no longer get to you). Drops remove a gameplay style where you can inflict damage and then retreat to draw enemies out or catch your breath. AB3D has large arenas where it's packed with bad guys and you have to be more tactical than just running in guns blazing.

You corrected the drop at the end of level 2 nicely by raising stairs at the end of the fight. That was nice.

There is another drop in level 3, too, and this one then does force you into a large area with no retreat possible. Also annoying.

2) Removed (in Level 3 again) a large area (the one with a secret and the lift to the teleporter) an large area filled with bad guys and replaced it with a corridor shooting section. You can quite simply walk through that one and just kill everything as it appears, whereas previously you had to be more careful.

I'm sorry to say I didn't bother to play beyond level 3, and dug out an earlier version. Which is a shame as you've done such an amazing job. Having the original levels as an optional level pack, or an option in the Osiris settings would be just wonderful.

Anyway, I'll stop now, and continue to watch this thread with interest. And give my heartfelt thanks for what you've done so far, even if it's not quite what it was.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

zxdunny wrote:
ArcturusDeluxe wrote:You don't sound like a moaner or anything, don't worry about that. Could I ask what exactly puts you off though? Is it that it's further from the original game, or something specific about the changes I made? I'd be interested to hear the feedback.
Ok, sorry for the delay in replying. I have no excuse. Please don't take this as whining, I'm trying to be constructive :)

The lighting is fantastic, the gameplay is spot-on, I can live with those weird green and blue pickups if I absolutely have to (though would prefer to be able to go back to the original pickup graphics if possible an option like being able to use the original weapons). But what I really don't like are two things:

1) Drops to prevent backtracking. Level 2 has one at the entrance to the third room (which serves only to annoy if you accidentally fall down it - you then have to fight to get to the switch to raise the stairs... but if you've played it before then you just stand at the top and wait for the enemies to come to you and pick them off one by one as they can no longer get to you). Drops remove a gameplay style where you can inflict damage and then retreat to draw enemies out or catch your breath. AB3D has large arenas where it's packed with bad guys and you have to be more tactical than just running in guns blazing.

You corrected the drop at the end of level 2 nicely by raising stairs at the end of the fight. That was nice.

There is another drop in level 3, too, and this one then does force you into a large area with no retreat possible. Also annoying.

2) Removed (in Level 3 again) a large area (the one with a secret and the lift to the teleporter) an large area filled with bad guys and replaced it with a corridor shooting section. You can quite simply walk through that one and just kill everything as it appears, whereas previously you had to be more careful.

I'm sorry to say I didn't bother to play beyond level 3, and dug out an earlier version. Which is a shame as you've done such an amazing job. Having the original levels as an optional level pack, or an option in the Osiris settings would be just wonderful.

Anyway, I'll stop now, and continue to watch this thread with interest. And give my heartfelt thanks for what you've done so far, even if it's not quite what it was.
No worries! And again, don't worry about seeming whiny or anything, you don't, and I appreciate the criticism. I understood going into this that not everyone will be on board with all of the changes being made from the original, and that's ok.

The option to use the original pickup sprites already exists, go into Project Osiris Options under Options and change Pickup Style to Classic. The blue armour shards will still be in there, since armour is part of this version now, but I did make new sprites for the smaller health pickups to fit with the original style when you choose this setting.

The reason I made the first map 2 drop was because the enemies couldn't get up the staircase, the stairs are too steep for them to navigate, making it completely trivial to pick off the red aliens without any danger from them. Admittedly, I still fucked it up as you could fire to wake up the monsters from the top of the drop, but that's been fixed. Now you're forced into the fight after taking the drop. On reflection, I could have made the staircase bigger so the enemies could navigate it, but I quite liked the ambush aspect of the fight the drop adds.

I wasn't happy with the corridor section in map 3 either, but I felt the large room from before was too easily bypassed. I've changed this area again in the next version back to an open room but with two pillars for some cover from the hitscanners, and you now have to hit a switch at the far end of the room to open the way to the elevator, but it also brings in extra enemies. This makes you engage with the whole room and you can't just run through, but keeps the openness and danger of the original. The drop added later in map 3 was done for the same reason, to stop you just running on by and not fighting anything. I do wonder if it's too hard of an area now though, since there's no real cover and the deep water affects your movement speed.

Not saying you're wrong or anything with all this, just explaining the decisions I made. They might indeed not have been the right calls, as I'm not an especially experienced level designer. Porting AB3D to GZDoom makes it a fundamentally different game to begin with, just from being in a different engine, so I figure I might as well attempt some improvements to the map design while I'm at it - to make things hopefully more palatable to the Doom players and to keep players of the original on their toes.

With all that said, I will release the maps that are closer to the original game as an add-on mod after I finish 1.0, because I have them and I might as well. There will still be some differences here and there because of quirks with the engine and such, and I made some adjustments while converting them, to fix some obvious mistakes like bugged textures and misaligned geometry.

For anyone wondering, as for 1.0, it's still incoming. Feeling a bit bad because I promised it in the new year at first, but I've had some mental health issues lately. I'm doing ok, but been a bit burned out on the music and modding stuff over the past few weeks. Please bear with me, I really want to get back into the swing of things!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:For anyone wondering, as for 1.0, it's still incoming. Feeling a bit bad because I promised it in the new year at first, but I've had some mental health issues lately. I'm doing ok, but been a bit burned out on the music and modding stuff over the past few weeks. Please bear with me, I really want to get back into the swing of things!
No pressure! You are not being paid to work on this mod anyway. :P
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:For anyone wondering, as for 1.0, it's still incoming. Feeling a bit bad because I promised it in the new year at first, but I've had some mental health issues lately. I'm doing ok, but been a bit burned out on the music and modding stuff over the past few weeks. Please bear with me, I really want to get back into the swing of things!
Thanks for that detailed response that I probably didn't deserve - acutely aware this is a free game - I'm looking forward to the changes then :)

Most especially the maps from the demos also, but that's by the by right now. The current social climate has been bloody awful for a year now. Mental health issues are affecting a huge amount of the population and it's more important that you take time to breathe than finish a game that, as has been pointed out, is free. That I can play any form of AB3D natively on the PC is an absolute godsend tbh.

Take care, and all the best!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”