Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.3)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.8.1 BETA)

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Hey ArcturusDeluxe I am working over the 0.8.1 build, doing brightmaps atm for Watcher and reduced size of the ipk3, plus several nitpicks and stuff that you gonna like. Mainly these are my plans, should end in some hours:

- Added brightmaps for several enemies
- Converted all flac/wav sounds into ogg format
- Reworked the whole pk3 structure using folders without any WAD like dummy lumps
Cherno wrote:The corpses of flying monsters (Beholders) tend to fall down onto still-living monsters, I have looked at their code but they do the same stuff that Cacos do in their death state, so I'M not sure what could be the cause.
That happens because the A_NoBlocking special during the Death sequence
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Aaand then sent you a PM ArcturusDeluxe, hope you gonna like it :D
ArcturusDeluxe

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.8.2 BETA)

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Hey all! Just did a quick update that fixes an issue with map06 - if you have story texts turned off it wouldn't teleport you out of the 'safe box' in which the player usually sits while the story texts are going. Since that's pretty game-breaking I wanted to fix it quickly. Also a couple of people had confusion about how the use key was bound so I set it to E as well as mouse2, and bring up a message before the first door.

Thanks to Ozymandias, brightmaps should be coming in the next version! They're looking good!
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Cherno wrote:You could post on DoomWorld as well, this deserves more exposition :)
I may do a write up of this on R667. :)

Arcturus: This looks beyond incredible, and despite the slight reimagining, very true to the source material. Could easily be an official remake, if there ever was one.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Any chance of making the grenades either explod on impact or reduce their bouncing speed. I found their bouncing to be a little too much, more often than not I had one of my grenades come flying right at my feet.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

This is a historic release! I have had a chance to play the first five levels on my laptop and this really feels like a blast to the past - many have tried to port this game but you good sir are the first to deliver a fully fleshed out product that will potentially act as a base for custom levels as well. Congratulations :D
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

I offer to this project the CD32 Music:
https://mega.nz/#!KR91VKQb!Val45keN7_6e ... z3e-86DUCU

I know that QuakeDoomNukem made a version of this before (And thank you for the music files! ^^) but I wanted to make a cleaner version in hopes that it gets merged in the main file at some point.
It's still optional and you can activate it in the "Project Osiris" options menu
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Another trippy PM sent to you ArcturusDeluxe, all brightmaps and more stuff added. IPK3 now is just 13mb-ish :D

@Dude27h - That soundtrack feels great in game, I think it should be merged into the project imho, but first through a LameXP ogg conversion to reduce filesize would be the best thing
pagb666

Post by pagb666 »

Really sweet stuff. It's a shame I'm missing the nostalgia factor, as never owned an Amiga 1200 but a 500. Tried the game briefly on WinUAE years later but played like shit xD
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

pagb666 wrote:Really sweet stuff. It's a shame I'm missing the nostalgia factor, as never owned an Amiga 1200 but a 500. Tried the game briefly on WinUAE years later but played like shit xD
Get AmigaForever, run install and configure Amikit, download latest Whdload and get Alien Breed 3d installer by Psygore for it, then run the game by selecting the highest resolution and you'll be ready! You can play Quake 1-2, Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Breathless, Gloom, Rise of the Triad and Wolfenstein 3d from Amikit OS, it is fantastic and it is also free! But the one bundled with AmigaForever is enhanced (Amikit was free until 8.1) and preconfigured in a perfect way
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I recommend FS-UAE, which auto-downloads the latest WHDLoad as-needed and has a nice online database for automatically configuring things (although for some games you'll probably wanna make your own configs - Gloom Deluxe chugs miserably for some reason). You'll still need the Kickstart ROMs, though, and AmigaForever can provide those in a legal form, so you should totally get that as well!

The floppy and CD32 versions of the games can be legally downloaded with Team17's permission from the fansite Dream17, though you may fare better with a pre-installed WHDLoad version, which shouldn't be too difficult to find online.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Yes definitely FS-UAE is amazing, I have all my games organized with it and feels waaaaay better than the old WinUae method "create config, save it, test another game", which was indeed funny but so much time consuming to get huge amount of games organized somehow.

As a little teasing about how big my Amiga collection is and how I set my games on AmiKit, here you are a nice imgur album to raise some more interest about gaming on emulated Amiga nowadays :)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I'm really enjoying this myself. Kinda always wanted to play this and now I finally get to! seems like a pretty accurate recreation so far.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

"Red Aliens" live again! :')

Thank you very much for doing this. It is a very well done TC, and gives us the chance to experience a game that was by all means dead.

(BTW, this game's sprites had make wonder for, uh, years: why we can have support to 8-16 rotation sprites, but not to 4? Or do we and i am out of date?)
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Ravick wrote:(BTW, this game's sprites had make wonder for, uh, years: why we can have support to 8-16 rotation sprites, but not to 4? Or do we and i am out of date?)
Yeah, some of the monsters still do have four rotations sprites (the Worm guys and the final boss) but technically they still have 8 angles, its just that I used the side sprites for the diagonal angles. It's not ideal and if there's a way to more accurately have four rotations that would be nice. I do want to have diagonal versions of those enemies but they're a bit larger and drawing them would be extremely time-consuming. Maybe some day!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”