Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
EnriksD8
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled m

Post by EnriksD8 »

The more I play this mod, the more I fall in love with it.

I do have one nitpick, though, and that's the auto-equip of the Radsuit. The Radsuit itself is fine already, but it seems to automatically activate whenever you are above a designated hurt floor, even when your feet aren't actually touching said hurt floor.

This does end up wasting precious units of the Radsuit. It's not really much of a problem, especially when one simply straferuns or, if the map pack allows it, strafejumps to speed through hurt floors, but I do hope this can be updated to where the auto-equip only happens when the player is actually touching the hurt floors rather than whenever they are above it.
User avatar
kalensar
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 pm
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 20

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled m

Post by kalensar »

EnriksD8 wrote:The more I play this mod, the more I fall in love with it.

I do have one nitpick, though, and that's the auto-equip of the Radsuit. The Radsuit itself is fine already, but it seems to automatically activate whenever you are above a designated hurt floor, even when your feet aren't actually touching said hurt floor.

This does end up wasting precious units of the Radsuit. It's not really much of a problem, especially when one simply straferuns or, if the map pack allows it, strafejumps to speed through hurt floors, but I do hope this can be updated to where the auto-equip only happens when the player is actually touching the hurt floors rather than whenever they are above it.

I got some bad news for you on the radsuit thing. Thats kind of a Doom Engine 2.5D oddity thats related to the Zero Push like activating the switch 100 feet above your head. Basically there is no cure for it just like there's no cure for the Zero Push bug because its do to how Vertical is ran within the engine.

To elaborate, Doom looks at Floor Tiles as a top down only map so it doesn't account at all for how high you are EXCEPT for when you are actually 100% over the grid square aka your elevation will now always match the floor tile elevation.

I know a perfect example of the bug you are talking about as it can easily be found in Map09 of Doom 2: The Pit
User avatar
EnriksD8
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled m

Post by EnriksD8 »

kalensar wrote:
EnriksD8 wrote:The more I play this mod, the more I fall in love with it.

I do have one nitpick, though, and that's the auto-equip of the Radsuit. The Radsuit itself is fine already, but it seems to automatically activate whenever you are above a designated hurt floor, even when your feet aren't actually touching said hurt floor.

This does end up wasting precious units of the Radsuit. It's not really much of a problem, especially when one simply straferuns or, if the map pack allows it, strafejumps to speed through hurt floors, but I do hope this can be updated to where the auto-equip only happens when the player is actually touching the hurt floors rather than whenever they are above it.

I got some bad news for you on the radsuit thing. Thats kind of a Doom Engine 2.5D oddity thats related to the Zero Push like activating the switch 100 feet above your head. Basically there is no cure for it just like there's no cure for the Zero Push bug because its do to how Vertical is ran within the engine.

To elaborate, Doom looks at Floor Tiles as a top down only map so it doesn't account at all for how high you are EXCEPT for when you are actually 100% over the grid square aka your elevation will now always match the floor tile elevation.

I know a perfect example of the bug you are talking about as it can easily be found in Map09 of Doom 2: The Pit
I see. Thanks for the info on how it works man.
User avatar
CantSleep
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:04 am

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled m

Post by CantSleep »

kick12134 wrote:My game crashes a lot when fighting against bosses (Cyberdemon and Spider mastermind, and also Hell on earth starter pack Bosses), is there any option I should disable to fix this?
For some ungodly reason there have been usually uncommon hard crashes related to bosses in NTMAi that are still present in the latest versions. I've tried to pinpoint the culprit but to no avail. If anyone else manages to snatch a worthwhile clue, I could attempt to patch this one last time. Otherwise, I'll just have to rewrite the boss actors.

Also, another quick note; the GitHub repository of NTMAi contains a marginally more updated version than what's currently on this forum. Since GZDoom 4.6.0 came out and it has built-in sprite shadows now, I've removed everything related to sprite shadows, but I haven't tested out the code yet. Make sure to give it a try.

EDIT 5/22/2021: To reply to EnriksD8's radiation suit issue: Yeah, that's just how Doom's engine works. However, I can easily circumvent this by simply checking if the player's Z is the same as the acid floor's Z. Although that makes me wonder why I still haven't done this.
User avatar
kalensar
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 pm
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 20

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled m

Post by kalensar »

CantSleep wrote:
kick12134 wrote:My game crashes a lot when fighting against bosses (Cyberdemon and Spider mastermind, and also Hell on earth starter pack Bosses), is there any option I should disable to fix this?
For some ungodly reason there have been usually uncommon hard crashes related to bosses in NTMAi that are still present in the latest versions. I've tried to pinpoint the culprit but to no avail. If anyone else manages to snatch a worthwhile clue, I could attempt to patch this one last time. Otherwise, I'll just have to rewrite the boss actors.

Also, another quick note; the GitHub repository of NTMAi contains a marginally more updated version than what's currently on this forum. Since GZDoom 4.6.0 came out and it has built-in sprite shadows now, I've removed everything related to sprite shadows, but I haven't tested out the code yet. Make sure to give it a try.

EDIT 5/22/2021: To reply to EnriksD8's radiation suit issue: Yeah, that's just how Doom's engine works. However, I can easily circumvent this by simply checking if the player's Z is the same as the acid floor's Z. Although that makes me wonder why I still haven't done this.
CantSleep, I'll give the Boss monsters a look over. I have an fair amount of experience with NTMAI monsters specifically at this point of my modding hobby and see if I can duplicate the crashes.
User avatar
CherubCorps
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:09 pm
Location: United States

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled m

Post by CherubCorps »

Finally got around to playing this. It's pretty good so far. Feels like playing Duke in Doom (Which I think is the point of the mod)

I saw that there's a verison which is monsters only. Is there a version of NTMAI that is just the weapons and gameplay WITHOUT the custom monsters? I like to be able to mix-and-match things.
User avatar
kalensar
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 pm
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 20

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled m

Post by kalensar »

CherubCorps wrote:Finally got around to playing this. It's pretty good so far. Feels like playing Duke in Doom (Which I think is the point of the mod)

I saw that there's a verison which is monsters only. Is there a version of NTMAI that is just the weapons and gameplay WITHOUT the custom monsters? I like to be able to mix-and-match things.
Go into the Options menu and then scroll down to the bottom to NTMAI options. You can turn the NTMAI monsters off in order to play with Monster Packs.
User avatar
CherubCorps
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:09 pm
Location: United States

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled m

Post by CherubCorps »

Go into the Options menu and then scroll down to the bottom to NTMAI options. You can turn the NTMAI monsters off in order to play with Monster Packs.
Very cool. Thanks for telling me.
thugsta
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:10 am

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled m

Post by thugsta »

Love your mod but can i ask if you can make your key open animation standalone/universal as this is a cool animation that makes more sense in opening locked doors and would love it in the autoload to be used with almost everything :wub:
MutantMods
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:53 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Post by MutantMods »

I showcase this amazing gameplay mod in the 1st half of this video!

CYNICAL
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:13 am

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Post by CYNICAL »

MutantMods wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:46 pm I showcase this amazing gameplay mod in the 1st half of this video!

he hasn't updated this mod in ages like right now the discord is archived. which is a shame because this was my favorite mod for doom because of the idea of what doom would of been like on the build engine.
User avatar
kalensar
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 pm
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 20

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Post by kalensar »

CYNICAL wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:33 pm
MutantMods wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:46 pm I showcase this amazing gameplay mod in the 1st half of this video!

he hasn't updated this mod in ages like right now the discord is archived. which is a shame because this was my favorite mod for doom because of the idea of what doom would of been like on the build engine.
The mod is basically complete IMO. I've worked with it a ton. Theres not much reason to expand it or anything since it achieved it's mission statement.
User avatar
Craneo
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:12 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Inside a crate in E2M2

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Post by Craneo »

Only things that could be added imho I guess are voxels for the Unmaker (it seems to lack those) and I feel the effects of the plasma rifle's railgun really need to be better, but that's just a personal taste thing.
TheOldKingCole
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Post by TheOldKingCole »

If this mod ever gets updated I'd love for a third arsenal option to mix and match weapons from both arsenals
User avatar
kalensar
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 pm
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 20

Re: Nobody Told Me About id v0.4.9 - A Build Engine-styled mod

Post by kalensar »

TheOldKingCole wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:25 am If this mod ever gets updated I'd love for a third arsenal option to mix and match weapons from both arsenals
I just tested this with Angled Doom earlier today. It worked fine as long as the Gun mod you want is loaded after NTMAI. THe monsters performed perfectly. The main bug was HUD conflict so I used my KALs SBARINFO Only HUD to bypass that glitch. You also lose out on the keycard animations as well. Probably the item passives as well, but i did not test the Rad Suit to find out.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”