Walpurgis 0.99 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Walpurgis 0.96 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.96 RELEASE!]

Post by fakemai »

Can confirm except that I get an actual error: Unknown identifier 'con_scale'
A quick check indicates it was removed as a CVar some time before 4.8.0 but also seems to have been re-instated pretty shortly after that was released. For now you may have to either run a testing build or use the last 4.7.x version.
EDIT: Relevant thread I just found.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Tesculpture wrote:Version 0.96 doesn't seem to run for me with GZDoom 4.8.0.

I get this error at startup:

Script error, "+Walpurgis-JT-0.96.pk3:zscript/stats/stats.zs" line 476:
Cannot convert to string
fakemai wrote:Can confirm except that I get an actual error: Unknown identifier 'con_scale'
A quick check indicates it was removed as a CVar some time before 4.8.0 but also seems to have been re-instated pretty shortly after that was released. For now you may have to either run a testing build or use the last 4.7.x version.
EDIT: Relevant thread I just found.
Yes indeed, my custom statusbar is based off Nightfrights Fullscreen Statusbar which uses the con_scale function. It seems that Graf is reinstating the function so if there is a 4.8.1 GZDoom, I expect Walp will continue to work with it in its current state.

However, I'll look into the fix Nightfright has instituted to their statusbar just now and if can use it myself, I will integrate it for a 0.96A Walp ASAP. In the meantime, continue to use 4.7.x GZDoom if possible.
0.96A released!

Thanks for the reports.
Last edited by eharper256 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svarttjern
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Svarttjern »

Really fun to play, feels better than Vanilla Hexen by far. Haven't tried with Heretic and Doom yet, but I bet it's just as fun.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Svarttjern wrote:Really fun to play, feels better than Vanilla Hexen by far. Haven't tried with Heretic and Doom yet, but I bet it's just as fun.
Thanks! Glad you like it! :)
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

New video of Silence, a vanilla E1-E3 replacer wad from Wilster_Wonkels:

I'm playing E3M1 to E3M3 of it here. Its pretty good! In case you're wondering about the jump at the end, I somehow missed the exit and spent about 2 mins wondering about, so I cropped that out. You can get this mapset here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/128282
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.96A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.96 RELEASE!]

Post by eharper256 »

0.96A is released. This is bugfix release to make Walp work with the new GZDoom 4.8.0, which stripped away a function that was required for my statusbar code. For now, I've added a workaround for it. But rather than attempt to back-port my current dev version and its bugs galore, I decided to use a stable version from May as the base for this patch. As a bonus, this means you get the new portraits and stuff (whee!) at least rather than just a bug-fix.

Get it here from MEGA
Or here from Googledrive Mirror

Changelog:

Code: Select all

[0.96A]
'Superficially Broken'
--------------------
14/06/2022
>>>>>>>	This is a bugfix release for compatibility with GZDoom 4.8.0 <<<<<<<<<
		But rather than strip everything from dev version, I thought I'd modify
		a version from May, so you get a couple extra visual things.
+New!:	All four characters got proper portraits! These are now visible on both
		character selection, and the newly revised HELP sheets, which have also
		been updated to bring them up to date with the most recent information.
+New!:	Hexen intermissions get a re-write to match the quality of the re-write
		of the Heretic and Doom intermissions. Previously, only the ending
		scene was rewritten.
+Tweak:	Satyrs get a couple of extra sound effects for idle and dying noises.
+Tweak:	Doom Pinkie Demons get a proper XDeath animation.
+Misc:	Various coding frameworks for 0.97 (non-functional). 
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

eharper256 wrote:This is bugfix release to make Walp work with the new GZDoom 4.8.0, which stripped away a function that was required for my statusbar code.
What function is that?
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Blue Shadow wrote:
eharper256 wrote:This is bugfix release to make Walp work with the new GZDoom 4.8.0, which stripped away a function that was required for my statusbar code.
What function is that?
Cvar, actually. See fakemai post above, I used con_scale.

Aware that graf has re-added it in dev versions.
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.96A (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [GZDoom 4.8.0 F

Post by eharper256 »

This is a short single map called "EOH Lost Mission" by ARMCoder. Just the sort of short and sweet thing I needed for a quick Dooming this evening (and as a quick tester to ensure the new 0.96A was stable with Doom). :) Pretty fun little map.

You can grab it here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/129750
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

I play some random obsidian map using Walpurgis 96a (dl today). i play mostly druid because i like her the most (or maybe its just the wolf form). (i try fighter too).

+ druid has a blue berry (vegetable?) for weapon upgrades... eh it doesnt fit to the style of the rest of the genre tbh. the skull in the help menu is more fitting. In the past you had antlers that looks perfect.

+ you modify monsters (heretic) - so why dont you increase HP of monsters? Absolutely every weapon massacred all monster with max 2 hits. Thats the gameplay vibe you aiming for? 1 hit 1 kill ?

+ druid has a plant as a bomb. I think its a field for graphic improvement. if you dont /cant change the graphic, then maybe add some more shades, so it would melds a little better with rest of the textures?

You capture very well the power of the weapons. Each weapon give player the sensation of being a walking annihilation. All the little details with weapons effect. Mastercraft. I love the teleporting with Dagon Staff. The poison grenade of serpent staff are cool too. And fully upgraded Serpent Staff primary fire is great. You join with some other blokes and make some game.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Lagi wrote:I play some random obsidian map using Walpurgis 96a (dl today). i play mostly druid because i like her the most (or maybe its just the wolf form). (i try fighter too).You capture very well the power of the weapons. Each weapon give player the sensation of being a walking annihilation. All the little details with weapons effect. Mastercraft. I love the teleporting with Dagon Staff. The poison grenade of serpent staff are cool too. And fully upgraded Serpent Staff primary fire is great. You join with some other blokes and make some game.
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.
Lagi wrote:+ you modify monsters (heretic) - so why dont you increase HP of monsters? Absolutely every weapon massacred all monster with max 2 hits. Thats the gameplay vibe you aiming for? 1 hit 1 kill ?
Heretic is, and always has been super hard balance wise for me; since most monsters are low-tier (except Werebeast and Lich) and it relies on Corvus both having to juggle loads of ammo types, ghost monsters, and innately being not too strong unless you're whacking out the Tome of Power. All of that is completely at odds with Walp (and Hexen) which is only two ammo types, doesn't care about effectiveness, and has weapons that are potentially quite strong. Keep in mind that there are difficulty options in the settings menus you can apply like Doomed Souls Mode and stuff, but if you have any concrete suggestions, feel free to tell me (that applies to everyone!).
Lagi wrote:+ druid has a blue berry (vegetable?) for weapon upgrades... eh it doesnt fit to the style of the rest of the genre tbh. the skull in the help menu is more fitting. In the past you had antlers that looks perfect.
+ druid has a plant as a bomb. I think its a field for graphic improvement. if you dont /cant change the graphic, then maybe add some more shades, so it would melds a little better with rest of the textures?
Think of it as that red-coated girl in the movie Schindlers List; there for artistic contrast. Hexen world, Chronos, as a whole has dropped into this dreary, grey world under Korax's corruption. But every so often, Druid can create these vibrant colours of nature, reminders of how things are supposed to be. Her upgrade item, the Azurinthine fruit, is something boldly blue, defiant in this world of apathy and evil. :)
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Another quite big video today covering Aquaduct; a pair of levels for the Plutonia iwad (or a Wadsmoosh, as I use) by Dopaminecloud.

I always enjoy people using the Jungle textures, it's certainly a breath of fresh air compared to techbases in Doom. This one is pretty tough but at an enjoyable level. Flows well, though heck knows where the secrets are (lol).
You can get it here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/129811
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

would you be interested in accepting recoloured druid bomb to darker colours? (i would also smooth the dithering at the top a bit).

right is current:

i could do all frames except G.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Lagi wrote:would you be interested in accepting recoloured druid bomb to darker colours? (i would also smooth the dithering at the top a bit).

right is current:

i could do all frames except G.
Sure, go for it if you want to do it. I'll credit you if I use it. :)
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

still doesnt look right.

I will try later to reduce the amount of light on the plant.
Attachments
darkerplank.rar
(8.81 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Return to “Gameplay Mods”