Walpurgis 0.99 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis [Doom Compatibility!]

Post by eharper256 »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Hello!

Been eagerly following this mod's development since its beginning, and I must say I highly look forward to playing with it!

Commenting on the boot sprite, the issue isn't the outline itself, but a lack of contrast: Look at the gauntlet sprite, and you'll see there are many bright areas contrasting with the surrounding dark areas, that's why the gauntlets look as if they didn't have an outline -though they actually do.- What I'd recommend is that you add a few areas of light, similarly to the gauntlets; as it is, the boot sprite already has a few lighter areas which can work as a basis to add that "shine" to them.

I hope those few thoughts on the boot sprite help! As an aside, I made an edit to the boot sprite, but I'm not certain if it'd be disrespectful to share it without asking first.
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear you're following. You get an idea that people are interested from the view count, but you can never be sure until they pipe up. But that's the nature of the internet. :P

Anyways; yes, not sure what I was smoking when I said the gauntlet had no outline, you're absolutely right. And yeah, it's likely a lack of contrast.

Carry on and share it, its not disrespectful. If its a cool edit, I'd be happy to use it and credit you. Heck, when development is done, I'll be sharing all the sprites seperately anyways, as I've myself have borrowed plenty from other works!

In fact, if you want to have a go at the other frame; here it is: https://imgur.com/RK9qHCI

--------
Notice: As before, I'm still seeking help on getting the damn Hexen statusbar working in Doom! Calling master ZScripters and Statusbar makers!
HLRaven
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by HLRaven »

Yep, Heretic is going to be in. It's actually easier than Doom to implement (and the statusbar actually works innately with hardly any tweaks!), so I wanted to get Doom ready first. Heretic is just needs a few more spawners set-up correctly and few tests and that should be good to go. I expect it to need difficulty tuning more than anything; because Heretic's level of damage is at a lower scale than Hexen's. I might need to put in slight changes to the enemies to give them more HP.
Awesome, glad to hear that heretic won't be as much of a problem for you as doom!

Now all we need is chex quest :)
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Sadly I don't own a Chex Quest iwad and haven't played it so I couldn't comment on the feasibility of that.
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

eharper256 wrote:
SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Hello!

Been eagerly following this mod's development since its beginning, and I must say I highly look forward to playing with it!

Commenting on the boot sprite, the issue isn't the outline itself, but a lack of contrast: Look at the gauntlet sprite, and you'll see there are many bright areas contrasting with the surrounding dark areas, that's why the gauntlets look as if they didn't have an outline -though they actually do.- What I'd recommend is that you add a few areas of light, similarly to the gauntlets; as it is, the boot sprite already has a few lighter areas which can work as a basis to add that "shine" to them.

I hope those few thoughts on the boot sprite help! As an aside, I made an edit to the boot sprite, but I'm not certain if it'd be disrespectful to share it without asking first.
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear you're following. You get an idea that people are interested from the view count, but you can never be sure until they pipe up. But that's the nature of the internet. :P

Anyways; yes, not sure what I was smoking when I said the gauntlet had no outline, you're absolutely right. And yeah, it's likely a lack of contrast.

Carry on and share it, its not disrespectful. If its a cool edit, I'd be happy to use it and credit you. Heck, when development is done, I'll be sharing all the sprites seperately anyways, as I've myself have borrowed plenty from other works!

In fact, if you want to have a go at the other frame; here it is: https://imgur.com/RK9qHCI
Mods for Hexen are really scarce as it is; personally, I'm really glad it's been getting so much high quality attention.

These are the edits I made to the boot sprites, I tried adding the small details from the outstretched boot -the belts on the side,- while keeping the same aesthetic. The curled leg was actually a left foot, while the outstretched one is a right foot, so I've changed the shape so they're both right feet.

eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Mods for Hexen are really scarce as it is; personally, I'm really glad it's been getting so much high quality attention.

These are the edits I made to the boot sprites, I tried adding the small details from the outstretched boot -the belts on the side,- while keeping the same aesthetic. The curled leg was actually a left foot, while the outstretched one is a right foot, so I've changed the shape so they're both right feet.

Those are fantastic!

They actually look like greaves rather than the grey size 15 boots I made. :lol: I've added them in, and popped you in the credits file. Let me know by PM if you'd like something other than your username here, of course.

I'm sure you can tell, anatomy was also never my strong suit, but I guess the other Doom kick sprites I was using for reference failed first (well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!). :P

I'm happy the mod is warranting at least some attention.

---------

Minor Update:

Been quashing Doom bugs mostly this evening; I forgot translation wouldn't work because the palette is different, lol, so I had to give a few things some more recoloured PNG sprites.

I've also been revising the code of the Lightbringer Tertiary Fire; I realised I'd wrote it in a dumb way. Speaking of which, I don't think I've spoke much about that: it involves the Lightbringer creating a Prism that floats in place. Shoot it with either standard fire mode, and much as you might expect of a Prism, it splits your inputted light! Fire the normal Lightbringer laser, and a Red, Green, and Blue Laser are fired out, often reflecting at nearby targets! Fire the standard shot, and it spits out a burst of a dozen smaller rainbow projectiles! Taste the deadly rainbow!
SallazarSpellcaster

eharper256 wrote: Those are fantastic!

They actually look like greaves rather than the grey size 15 boots I made. :lol: I've added them in, and popped you in the credits file. Let me know by PM if you'd like something other than your username here, of course.

I'm sure you can tell, anatomy was also never my strong suit, but I guess the other Doom kick sprites I was using for reference failed first (well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!). :P

I'm happy the mod is warranting at least some attention.

Glad you liked them! I'm sending them again with a transparent background -I derped out and left the gray one background.- The grey boot sprite does have that issue, but one can hardly notice it when it's encrusted on an imp's face.

https://imgur.com/odf0v8X

https://imgur.com/Nuf8AfA
4page

Post by 4page »

Just a quick suggestion about those boots. I'm not sure if you plan on working on them any more or not and keep in mind I am absolutely not a spriter, but I feel like the metal on them looks a little too smooth and shiny. Maybe try giving them some scratches or smudges or dirt or dents.
SallazarSpellcaster

4page wrote:Just a quick suggestion about those boots. I'm not sure if you plan on working on them any more or not and keep in mind I am absolutely not a spriter, but I feel like the metal on them looks a little too smooth and shiny. Maybe try giving them some scratches or smudges or dirt or dents.
That can be done! Maybe bits of caked blood -not wet, but dried up- could work, too?
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Glad you liked them! I'm sending them again with a transparent background -I derped out and left the gray one background.- The grey boot sprite does have that issue, but one can hardly notice it when it's encrusted on an imp's face.

https://imgur.com/odf0v8X

https://imgur.com/Nuf8AfA
Yes I did raise an eyebrow at the grey background, but the wonders of the magic eraser already saved my ass. Guess I should have been patient and waited for the transparent version from you. :P

Scuffing and scratching are optional. Fighter's/Myrm's gauntlets are actually surprisingly shiny (as is Cleric/Crusader's Scalemail) in their sprites, so I guess he polishes and sands them alot. :lol:
SallazarSpellcaster

Clean gauntlets are happy gauntlets; perhaps ettin blood is so acidic it scrubs off any grime? Who knows!

Anyhow, here's a version of the boot sprite with added grime; cuts and gashes didn't look to well on the sprite, but caked rust/dirt/blood seems to work alright.

If you prefer this look, the same process can be done on both the gauntlets, and the Cleric/Magister's scalemail. Also, for some reason using the imgur tag on the pictures creates a lot of ugliness in the preview image, if you open the link, the sprites are fine.

eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

A Crusader rides out to meet a serpent riding Heretic!

Yup, Heretic Support is in!
Like a putz, I forgot to turn Tekish's ammoinfo off for this video, sorry about that! Not sure why it thinks I'm in Doom, but oh well... also please excuse my trashy playthrough of Heretic E1M1, its been literally years since I last completed it (probably due a re-run).
SallazarSpellcaster wrote:New Shoes
Thanks for the alternative.

Personally, I like the shiny look, but perhaps if I get a moment, I'll put in a CVAR for those who like their shoes dirtier. :lol:
Terensworth

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis [Heretic also added!]

Post by Terensworth »

Oh yes, now we're cooking with gas, better Hexen classes with extra depth to all of em AND playable in Doom and Heretic.
I'm already sold.
SallazarSpellcaster

eharper256 wrote:
SallazarSpellcaster wrote:New Shoes
Thanks for the alternative.

Personally, I like the shiny look, but perhaps if I get a moment, I'll put in a CVAR for those who like their shoes dirtier. :lol:

Everyone likes variety, and being able to choose! If there's another sprite you'd like me to try my hand on, just let me know!
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

This screenshot makes me soooooooo happy!

I finally cracked the issue with the HUD in Doom!! Whee! I literally had a stupid thought before going to sleep last night, and lo behold, it was something simple all along...

Because of this, we're probably still on for a release this weekend!
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

What was the solution to your problem?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”