Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New 1.4A Version!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Exeor
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Post by Exeor »

Derddy wrote:Looks great! Keep up the momentum. I'm excited to play through this again.
Many thanks, the next update will be focused on bringing new dungeons and a lot of cultists and monsters (one new from Heretic 2, do you remember those small dinosaurs?) :wink:

Among other things, I have created a new consumable item too: The Purple Moss Clump. It cancels the accumulation of poison after eating it, it is very useful, specially after killing the Dukes of Sheol because you will be suffering the poison damage during a lot of seconds (even with health potions you could die unfairly), some people found this a bit annoying so I did this item in response, it can be found in green chests.

User avatar
Derddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:33 am

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Post by Derddy »

Exeor wrote:
Many thanks, the next update will be focused on bringing new dungeons and a lot of cultists and monsters
I love killing me some cultists. :D I noticed yours are particularity nicely made cultists. Did you custom make those? Also, would it be alright if I used your cultists in a map I'm making?
User avatar
Exeor
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Post by Exeor »

Derddy wrote:
Exeor wrote:
Many thanks, the next update will be focused on bringing new dungeons and a lot of cultists and monsters
I love killing me some cultists. :D I noticed yours are particularity nicely made cultists. Did you custom make those? Also, would it be alright if I used your cultists in a map I'm making?
They were made by Tethis for the Wrath of Cronos doom patch, I just added them in my campaign with some minor changes, in the new update you will face the Crimson Disciples with a total new moveset (compared to the one from Realm667) in the Cultist Fortress, they summon familiars like snakes and bees (similar to the Imp Warrior when summons bats and baby dragons) and different kind of fireballs with their magical maces.
Trust me, I'm very excited to show more, but I want to keep the surprises for the release day, stay tuned! :wink:

Of course, you can use them as you wish, after all, 90% of the cultists code was made by Tethis I think. All content of my mod is free to use, I also added the original artists in the credits file for the sprite/texture work.
User avatar
Exeor
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Post by Exeor »

Hi again!

As always. I have been working severals months in the campaign, polishing many things, adding new dungeons and npcs that will give you subquests (like going in a cave to kill a Stalker nest) with good rewards :wink:

I also added a feature similar to Gold Skulltulas from Ocarina of time/Majora's Mask; in some dungeons you will find yellow spiders in secret rooms, after killing them they will drop a golden token that you can exchange for unique items you can't buy in normal merchants (some of those items are from WoC and other ones made by me).
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The summary of what I have done so far:

· A tutorial dungeon in the first village, now you can't leave town until you do it.
· Banishment Device is not longer useless, now the artifact throws a powerful fireball against the enemies instead of teleporting them. The higher your level is, the more powerful the fireball is.
· New items like the Friendly Familiar Egg: When you throw this strange yellow egg, a small monster will help you during the fights, the creature is random, it can be a baby dragon, a rat, a bat, a snake and other surprises :D
· New subquests in the merchant cave where some soldiers will tell you what to do. (most of them related to kill a bunch of enemies in some caves)
· Added a few harmless bunnies, also some villagers now wander around the towns.
· Added two new bosses.
· Gold Skulltulas system like in Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. At the entrance of the dungeon a statue will tell you how many spiders are left.
· More dungeons and a part of the wasteland finished.
· Added Heretic Gates where you can test your skills against monster waves.
· Some minor enemy spawns changed in old locations for balancing issues.

And finally new screenshots:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
User avatar
Exeor
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Exeor »

A new version has been released! (1.3)
I also have checked this works with the latest 4.5 Gzdoom version, any feedback is appreciated :D
Remember you need Wrath of Cronos V3A to play my mod!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--UeDw ... rcd6T/view

Changelog:

- A new intro with the lore of the mod
- Added more decorations and revamped some old rooms and areas
- Goldenleaf Village has a graveyard now
- The dungeon Black Passage is finished
- A tutorial dungeon has been added: Bottom of Well (you need to do this level to leave the first village)
- Added more dungeons: Lonely Den and Cultist Fortress
- New bosses!
- Added the Heretic Gates: They are optional arenas where you can fight waves of monsters to test your skills with good rewards
- More subquests to do from some characters in the Cave Merchant
- Added one extra Vampire in the boss battle of the Hidden Basement, but their HP have been reduced from 3200 to 2000
- Added Golden Chakras: They are spiders hidden in secret rooms that release a golden token after killing them
- Added a new character in the Cave Merchant called Arabelle who trades your golden tokens for exclusive items
- The Banishment Device throws a powerful fire ball instead of teleporting enemies (I always thought this item was useless in woc)
- Added a new item: The Friendly Familiar Egg. You can find it as rare loots from chests or by trading it for golden tokens
- Some monster spawns have been changed in some areas
- Added the Wasteland as the last part of this version (it is unfinished but you can explore it after finishing the Cultists Fortress)
- About six hours of content!
Netheritor
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:22 am

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Netheritor »

When I played this with previous version, and see the dungeon will available in the next update, I asked myself "This is 1.2 right?" I thought the story is finished and you update it with only something extra or post-story.

Usually v1.0 is the final story mod, and the following version is enhancing gameplay. I quite bored after killing most enemies in the map, killer bunny included, the mod doesn't has the usual hexen enemy respawn.

Anyway, thanks for the update. A bit unhappy to replay it from beginning though.
Nightgaunt
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 am

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Nightgaunt »

Sounds great, cannot wait for the final version.
Netheritor
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:22 am

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Netheritor »

So... it's a problem since previous version; Any reason why the NPC keep disappearing after certain amount of time and after specific mission?
User avatar
Exeor
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Exeor »

Netheritor wrote:When I played this with previous version, and see the dungeon will available in the next update, I asked myself "This is 1.2 right?" I thought the story is finished and you update it with only something extra or post-story.

Usually v1.0 is the final story mod, and the following version is enhancing gameplay. I quite bored after killing most enemies in the map, killer bunny included, the mod doesn't has the usual hexen enemy respawn.

Anyway, thanks for the update. A bit unhappy to replay it from beginning though.
I'm curious, what do you mean by the usual hexen enemy respawn?
Thanks for the feedback, and yeah, I can't make that the updates are compatible with the current save files, however, I always try to add something new in the old areas to make worth the replay.
Netheritor wrote:So... it's a problem since previous version; Any reason why the NPC keep disappearing after certain amount of time and after specific mission?
Weird, I thought I fixed this problem in this new version already, can you tell me what npcs dissapear?

The allied Flying Skull is intentional, since when you progress in your adventure he "moves" to another area and in the previous one where it was disappears (obviously it wouldn't make sense for him to be in two zones at the same time)
User avatar
Ichor
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:22 pm

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Ichor »

Exeor wrote:
Netheritor wrote:When I played this with previous version, and see the dungeon will available in the next update, I asked myself "This is 1.2 right?" I thought the story is finished and you update it with only something extra or post-story.

Usually v1.0 is the final story mod, and the following version is enhancing gameplay. I quite bored after killing most enemies in the map, killer bunny included, the mod doesn't has the usual hexen enemy respawn.

Anyway, thanks for the update. A bit unhappy to replay it from beginning though.
I'm curious, what do you mean by the usual hexen enemy respawn?
The basic enemy respawning like you find in Hexen or Deathkings (well, maybe not as much as in Deathkings).
Netheritor
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:22 am

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Netheritor »

Most NPCs who that disappear are the standing NPC. I observe it after certain amount of time, they just disappear. The moving NPCs still exist. NPCs that disappear are the one in "merchant cave" after boss of the area is defeated, NPC after first graveyard, the path to goldenleaf village (the guards at the beginning disappear), and all of the standing NPC in goldenleaf village. It's called goldenleaf right?

I also just finished the mod, now I'm in 're-populate' the map. I use Necromancer and it's OP. Level up using alchemy. I found a bug and maybe exploit (also a bug for WoC, it cause said exploit)

1. My revenant first attack can hit the buried corpse in horror grotto, it surfaced but the actor still 'buried corpse', and unkillable.
2. Golden Chakra can be resurrected, and at least 1 weapon in each class can damage friendly NPC (the last is WoC bug)

I also see the game files, the 'futuristic' enemies are yours? I never see that sprites in mods I played.

A few more thing. It's like the story is similar to "serpent: resurrection" with smaller map and more gameplay. Right?
So, full release in... years later? The serpent is like 7 years.
And what the deal with Korax face? (the painting). It's like troll face.
Netheritor
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:22 am

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Netheritor »

Report on disappearing NPC.

I'm starting new game, AFK on everwinter village. Standing NPC (not moving) disappear after 15 minutes 36 seconds.
Nightgaunt
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 am

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Nightgaunt »

Exeor, how log will it take to reach a "complete" release?

I am really itching to play this, but I'd hate to spoil me part of the game, I want to play the full experience!!!
User avatar
armymen12002003
Posts: 1374
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:25 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Castle Wolfenstein

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by armymen12002003 »

Great job with this so far man just defeated the first boss really liking what im seeing so far so glad WoC got it’s own campaign/mapset. 👍🙂
User avatar
Exeor
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3 Version)

Post by Exeor »

Netheritor wrote:Most NPCs who that disappear are the standing NPC. I observe it after certain amount of time, they just disappear. The moving NPCs still exist. NPCs that disappear are the one in "merchant cave" after boss of the area is defeated, NPC after first graveyard, the path to goldenleaf village (the guards at the beginning disappear), and all of the standing NPC in goldenleaf village. It's called goldenleaf right?

I also just finished the mod, now I'm in 're-populate' the map. I use Necromancer and it's OP. Level up using alchemy. I found a bug and maybe exploit (also a bug for WoC, it cause said exploit)

1. My revenant first attack can hit the buried corpse in horror grotto, it surfaced but the actor still 'buried corpse', and unkillable.
2. Golden Chakra can be resurrected, and at least 1 weapon in each class can damage friendly NPC (the last is WoC bug)

I also see the game files, the 'futuristic' enemies are yours? I never see that sprites in mods I played.

A few more thing. It's like the story is similar to "serpent: resurrection" with smaller map and more gameplay. Right?
So, full release in... years later? The serpent is like 7 years.
And what the deal with Korax face? (the painting). It's like troll face.
The buried corpse bug is something more related to WoC than my mod, don't worry, I want that my campaign is always compatible with the latest WoC version, hopefully Tethis will fix this.
Oops, never thought about the chance where a golden chakra could be resurrected, I will fix it.
I guess that by "futuristic" enemies you mean the ones from Hell-Forged mod, those demons will appear later in the campaign in some specific quests and separated from the rest of the heretic/hexen creatures. (they are also used in an extra addon for doom 1/2 using woc)
I don't know the story of Serpent: Resurrection, but almost all hexen/heretic mods have the same lore where D'Sparil and the rest of serpent riders are resurrected by unknown forces, I know it isn't very original but as long as people have fun killing monsters and traveling through dungeons it's fine :P
Probably the Korax face you mean is the painting of Hexen 2, but never saw it as a troll face lol
Netheritor wrote:Report on disappearing NPC.

I'm starting new game, AFK on everwinter village. Standing NPC (not moving) disappear after 15 minutes 36 seconds.
Thanks for this specific report related to the time, at first I thought that I messed some scripts in the map but I know how to fix this weird bug already :D
Nightgaunt wrote:Exeor, how log will it take to reach a "complete" release?

I am really itching to play this, but I'd hate to spoil me part of the game, I want to play the full experience!!!
I hope to have everything done in 2 years for the full release. It is a project I'm doing during my free time, but I really want to finish it.
armymen12002003 wrote:Great job with this so far man just defeated the first boss really liking what im seeing so far so glad WoC got it’s own campaign/mapset. 👍🙂
Thanks for the comment, glad you are enjoying it!

Return to “Levels”