Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Exeor » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 am

The new update is here! Don't forget to read the first post for more info! The most important thing now is that it works with the latest gzdoom version and Wrath of Cronos 3.A! Enjoy it!
Remember to load woc_v3a.pk3 FIRST before CultofDespair.pk3 in the load order.
User avatar
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby neoworm » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am

I am not getting any XP.
I am using GZDooM v4.3.3 and WoC 3.A
User avatar
neoworm
 
Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Exeor » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:51 am

neoworm wrote:I am not getting any XP.
I am using GZDooM v4.3.3 and WoC 3.A


Options -> Wrath of Cronos Options -> Experience Multiplier

I highly recommend playing with experience multiplier set to 50 if you don't want to be a powerhouse early in the game :wink:
User avatar
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Ichor » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:52 pm

It goes from 0.0 to 10.0. By 50, do you mean 5.0?
User avatar
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted
 
Joined: 24 Jul 2003

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Exeor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:35 am

Ichor wrote:It goes from 0.0 to 10.0. By 50, do you mean 5.0?


The max. experience multiplier is 1000, you should have something like this in the WoC menu:

User avatar
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Ichor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:19 am

This is what I have, from the version that I downloaded in November.



Though yours looks like it's about the same as 1.00 on mine, which is what it was when I played it.

User avatar
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted
 
Joined: 24 Jul 2003

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Pachira » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:57 pm

Encountered an issue with this secret at Swamp Temple (I think, forgot which map it was exactly)

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... DF0202A29/

I opened this secret but the walls were only slightly open, I had to noclip into the room to get the items (I was being blocked from entry). I was also able to see through the walls.

On GZDoom version 4.3.3

Edit:

Made it to the end, I really enjoyed playing this mapset. I can't wait to see more stuff added. Keep up the good work!
User avatar
Pachira
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2010

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Exeor » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Pachira wrote:Encountered an issue with this secret at Swamp Temple (I think, forgot which map it was exactly)

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... DF0202A29/

I opened this secret but the walls were only slightly open, I had to noclip into the room to get the items (I was being blocked from entry). I was also able to see through the walls.

On GZDoom version 4.3.3

Edit:

Made it to the end, I really enjoyed playing this mapset. I can't wait to see more stuff added. Keep up the good work!


Yep, that was reported in the heretic/Hexen discord a few days ago (just a silly mistake that I did with a linedef), together with some other minor things that I fixed already.

But of course, thanks for playing the campaign! I have some new plans for more areas to explore, bosses and an epic assault on the Cultists' Fortress :D
User avatar
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Terensworth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:26 am

Aw man, when I reached the current end of the campaign I legit got kinda sad.

I love love loved it, not that I have much experience with fan-made mappacks for Hexen or Heretic but I felt this one was great, posed a good challenge with a nice curve towards it, not to mention having a few easter eggs and nods to other games [He lives again.]. Plus, the maps looked wonderful and were a blast to explore, nice music choices too, Horror Grotto impressed me in particuler, definitely will remember that one, not for the horror aspect, more for the fights being good and the structure being fun.

I did run into something pretty bad in the Swamp Temple boss, though, after I've beaten them and their minions, I was left with such a bad poison affliction that it legit lasted for minutes and outdamaged health regen, pretty damning if it happens especially on classes that can't heal at all. As it stands, it feels like you need an Amulet of Cleansing to not risk it against all the poison inflicting enemies the pack throws at you once you hit the swamp. Kind of fun to have a side objective of buying one of those ASAP before you reach the temple, but I feel like the poison is a bit much there.
Terensworth
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2018

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Exeor » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:35 am

Terensworth wrote:Aw man, when I reached the current end of the campaign I legit got kinda sad.

I love love loved it, not that I have much experience with fan-made mappacks for Hexen or Heretic but I felt this one was great, posed a good challenge with a nice curve towards it, not to mention having a few easter eggs and nods to other games [He lives again.]. Plus, the maps looked wonderful and were a blast to explore, nice music choices too, Horror Grotto impressed me in particuler, definitely will remember that one, not for the horror aspect, more for the fights being good and the structure being fun.

I did run into something pretty bad in the Swamp Temple boss, though, after I've beaten them and their minions, I was left with such a bad poison affliction that it legit lasted for minutes and outdamaged health regen, pretty damning if it happens especially on classes that can't heal at all. As it stands, it feels like you need an Amulet of Cleansing to not risk it against all the poison inflicting enemies the pack throws at you once you hit the swamp. Kind of fun to have a side objective of buying one of those ASAP before you reach the temple, but I feel like the poison is a bit much there.


Thanks a lot! hehe, you were one of the few users who noticed that small Caleb easter egg in the graveyard :P

You gave me an idea; I should add a potion item which disables the poison effect, the problem with the poison is that it is cumulative every time you are damaged, so after killing the three Duke of Sheols (by the way, I fixed their teleport ability spam, it was kinda annoying) you probably have A LOT OF poison hurting you during a few minutes. The potion should solve that.
User avatar
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Terensworth » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:55 am

I should add a potion item which disables the poison effect.


An antidote, yes, that would be perfect.
A thought comes to mind that maybe it could also add a little damage reduction from poison temporarily after being used, but that might make stuff like the sewers and abandoned fort way too easy.

Oh, and I absolutely adore little easter eggs like Caleb's line.
Others I found so far are an adorable little object on one of the beds in Goldenleaf Village's homes and... a certain enemy that as far as I can tell cannot be reached by normal means so I ran into them by noclipping unabashedly in Spaurus Fields and finding their lair... did I miss any?
Terensworth
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2018

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Exeor » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:17 pm

Terensworth wrote:
I should add a potion item which disables the poison effect.

a certain enemy that as far as I can tell cannot be reached by normal means so I ran into them by noclipping unabashedly in Spaurus Fields and finding their lair... did I miss any?


That is the other side of Spaurus Field which is connected with the exit of the Black Passage (the cave where the current build ends), there is a hole there where you could low the rocks and open a shortcut to the first village in the next update :wink:
User avatar
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Manhs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:16 am

Amazing expansion! Im after 1 hours 30 on it and i like the concept, rpg/semi world open map but with a classic gameplay.
I like the good amount details like the fish on jump over the water, the new destructive barrels, new sprites, stuff and there is just what it needs! Take care with the temptation to put too much stuff in it :P
WoC is really a fun mod too, I played this mod a lot and it's cool to see a mappack who is made for it (torch and anti poison boots is helpful here, by exemple).
Really neat!
Manhs
 
Joined: 08 Feb 2016

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Exeor » Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 am

Hi all! I have been working in the Heretic Gates (based on the Slayer Gates from Doom Eternal) where you will fight against a lot of monsters for waves in a deathmatch map-style to get a good reward and money if you survive, my plans are to make 6 Gates around the entire game using the original Heretic keys plus the new ones made by Neoworm, here it is the first gate I did as a preview!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14PI_Qc ... bTLL5/view

It is a good source of exp if you are looking for a nice and optional challgenge.

Also, you will get the keys by doing subquest from npcs, the heretic gates are well located and impossible not to see them during your adventure :D
User avatar
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: Spain

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New update!)

Postby Derddy » Thu May 28, 2020 9:07 am

Looks great! Keep up the momentum. I'm excited to play through this again.
User avatar
Derddy
 
Joined: 07 Sep 2019

Previous

Return to Levels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests