Doomreal [1.2]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Doomreal [1.2]

Post by KynikossDragonn »

It's almost as if nobody noticed that every single weapon except for the Eightball has had their ViewOffset created specifically for left-handed because Female1 and Male1 are left-handed character models.

When you set handedness for "Right" in the Unreal games it's actually flipping the Y value to negative.
cubebert
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cubebert »

Well, now I feel a bit silly for not noticing that on the second post. :shock:

Thanks for the explanation; I never knew that Unreal's weapons were modeled for being left-handed. In any case, I loved playing Doomreal and Doom Tournament since it came out, so it's good to see it having one last update for GZDoom 4.9.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Yeah, if you pay attention you will see that some weapons have details modelled in that are only visible from that position.

Edit: A hotfix has been released that solves Male2 and Male3 having no skin changes.
Xada

Post by Xada »

I was just thinking the other month about the possibility of skins being usable in Doomreal. So cool to have this feature added in along with stuff like weapon-skins!

On the mirrored weapons: Given that this is the final release, there's absolutely no plans to make a alternate re-mirrored add-on pack or otherwise a setting Unreal style for on-the-fly mirroring? I admit seeing them on the left side really throws me off even if it is accurate. Will take a lot of getting used to. It is also super weird having things like the Quadshot (since it is such a mainstay weapon) centered when all the others are side-positioned. I suppose for purity sake this makes sense though because of how it was originally (albeit busted) implemented..?

Pedantic sentiments aside, the work you've done here is great and accurate as ever. Very happy to see lots of the functionality of add-ons implemented into the base mod. This thing still remains my main go-to for playing Doom WADs-- SO much fun!

Thanks for the crazy amount of effort it took to get things this far along, the commitment really shines through.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Great addon! The only thing I found off was the music addon, it's barely audible even at 100% volume.

The weapons however need some buffs across the board, enemies are just too spongy due to this.
Marisa the Magician

Xada wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:38 pm It is also super weird having things like the Quadshot (since it is such a mainstay weapon) centered when all the others are side-positioned.
The Quadshot was only ever shown centered in-game until it got removed, so that's on purpose. This doesn't apply to the Protomag because it actually lasted until later builds where most guns were already left-handed.

TBH, even I have a hard time adjusting to some of the left-handed guns. I actually did change the Impaler to be centered because it felt way too weird otherwise (and it WAS left-handed in 0.867z).
Valherran wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:40 pm Great addon! The only thing I found off was the music addon, it's barely audible even at 100% volume.

The weapons however need some buffs across the board, enemies are just too spongy due to this.
There is a volume slider for tracker music in GZDoom's sound options that can be used to amplify them.

As for the "sponginess", that's entirely intentional. No damages have been altered compared to vanilla Unreal, where applicable, and even Unreal itself is known for having enemies that take a fair amount of shots to go down.
KynikossDragonn

Implementing the "Handedness" variable I imagine is probably impossible with how GZDoom works internally, but doing so would definitely quell a lot of complaint though this will open up the option to blatantly cheating by simply binding "Handedness" to keys to swap on-demand completely changing the FireOffset ever so slightly to angle your shots around corners. On my Unreal server I've actually locked "Handedness" to depend on what direction the WEAPON poly is located on the model.

In either case, if anyone is curious to see this played I am livestreaming this on Twitch. When my ISP and severe depression even permit me to.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

I'd really love to see someone mirroring the models back in a separate addon. Lefthand guns feel incredibly irritating to me after 24 years of righthanding them.
RaZZoR

Post by RaZZoR »

KynikossDragonn

Sinael wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:14 am I'd really love to see someone mirroring the models back in a separate addon. Lefthand guns feel incredibly irritating to me after 24 years of righthanding them.
I personally think the handedness of the first person weapon should depend on the player model selected so the weapon originates where it's supposed to on the model (not to mention so it looks correct in a mirror, but who the HELL looks at themselves in a mirror!?)

I'm not entirely sure if that's even possible without way too many changes needed. I personally don't mind the left-handedness because the class I've always used in Unreal 1 has the WEAPON poly on the left hand so I deliberately hardcoded the handedness in my custom playerclass to always be left so it matches the third person perspective.

I'm also not entirely sure about this one, but the fact I have had to deal with writing things "mirrored" when I made custom skins for some Unreal 1 models, the ones with the right handedness, I think those meshes were mirrored when they got imported so the skin ended up becoming mirrored ingame and has to be mirrored in the texture beforehand. Though since nobody has access to the original models before they were converted to the stupid _a.3D _d.3D format it's anyone's guess.

Would be fantastic had the original 3D Studio files for Unreal's models existed somewhere that way everything could be easily skeletal and hopefully take way less space.
DoomThing445
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by DoomThing445 »

Oh.
Why are the viewmodels flipped? I don't like that, it's disorienting.

Edit: Never read the posts of the first page please don't hurt me-
Last edited by DoomThing445 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marisa the Magician

As it currently stands I can't be bothered to implement a handedness switch, since the only potential way to do that would be to triplicate all the MODELDEFs for every single weapon (plus alternate skins). Prisoner 849 is canonically left-handed (the additional player models are outliers), so that becomes the default.
KynikossDragonn

Wow, I wasn't just talking out of my ass the other character models are indeed mirrored for whatever reason:
Screenshot_2023-01-25_06-03-14.png
Screenshot_2023-01-25_06-03-14.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
So just undo the mirror operation and then the default left handed weapons will make sense universally for all classes. Everybody wins!
Marisa the Magician

Yeah, I'll do that for the 4.11/5.0 feature update. Hopefully, if the new bone features make it in, that one will have proper third person weapons, as well.
DELTAtheDboi005

Post by DELTAtheDboi005 »

How do you change the weapon positions like in the screenshots? most weapons appear on the left instead of the right for me if that makes sense.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”