[Abandoned] Texture Lights

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Abandoned] Texture Lights

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Because I'm an idiot and I can't turn down a challenge even if it comes from some 4chan dweller who has no understanding of programming or how complicated it is to do something like this in GZDoom, I ended up making a mod that "adds lights to textures". It's in an incomplete but semi-functional state (covers E1M1, at least), and it's also full of bugs that I won't bother with fixing.

Feel free to download it and take a look at its pestilent entrails if you so desire, just be warned that it might make you rethink ever touching ZScript. This piece of trash is the worst thing I've ever written. If anyone somehow can make something better out of this, they deserve a medal.

Special "go step on a lego" goes to the dolt who posted this wonderful display of intelligence as a suggestion on how to improve it:
use the lump reader to get brightness values in everything that's in brightmaps.pk3, run through some galaxybrain algorithm and use that to spawn your lights
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Magician

Discord: Marisa Kirisame#4689
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Abandoned] Texture Lights

Postby Rachael » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 pm

Ah, 4chan. An echo chamber where half its users universally accept as truth the worst imaginable conspiracy theory some anon can come up with, absent any proof. Because, ya know, the truth is inconvenient and really not that exciting.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby Kinsie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:56 pm

I actually quite like the effect from this. I mean, it's pretty overblown, but it reminds me a lot of Quake 2 and that era of when coloured lightmaps was cruise control for cool.

I feel (in the rare event you touch this again or someone else picks it up or imitates it or something) the LTEXDEFS stuff could probably be gutted and cut it down to one light per repetition of the texture to get a similar effect with less headaches (and less lights, so less potential performance issues).
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Cherno » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:07 am

I think it's a very desirable feature if it could be implemented, along with a global lighting (sunlight) system. I use a lot of models in my projects and having propert lighting is neccessary to make them look good. Voxels even more! :)
Cherno

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Thu May 02, 2019 4:47 am

How unexpected, this incomplete, blatantly broken and suboptimal mod is now part of vasyan777's little collection of trash.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Magician

Postby Darkcrafter » Fri May 10, 2019 8:59 am

Is there any remind about you in the credits?
Darkcrafter

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Fri May 10, 2019 11:22 am

I am completely uncredited, but he didn't touch the zscript at all so my name is in there, at least.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Magician

Postby Darkcrafter » Fri May 10, 2019 6:55 pm

By the way, I watched his doom remake video and I really enjoyed the lighting there, it was smooth but fittig the doom style real well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNv1FiuxJo .Works really slow at 2:40, cause imagine an amount of lights there

In the rest of it looks like a gimmick. I'm thinking on why his channel is called "vasyan777". So Vasyan is a pretty common gopnik name on the post ussr territory, 7 perceived a digit on happines and luck, but software wise that all gave a birth to the slang combo "A Vasyan's build" kind of a build with crappy gopnik taste of Vasyan that puts on everything that shine.

This is his another mod that was called RTX ON (hope this was a joke): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC02P70QMpQ&t=101s
Attachments
Shinystuff.jpg
Shinystuff.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Darkcrafter

Postby Samarai1000 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Marisa Kirisame wrote:*snip*

And now Vasyan's modpack got a PCGamer article. And it just credits him, as well, and barely goes into the work other people actually did for it.
Fucking wonderful.
Samarai1000

Postby WAN_Scotty » Sun May 12, 2019 8:00 am

Marisa Kirisame wrote:I am completely uncredited, but he didn't touch the zscript at all so my name is in there, at least.

It says "Texture lights script by Marisa Kirisame: link to this thread" here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/lowpoly-doom ... al-edition
WAN_Scotty

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sun May 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Hm, I'm pretty sure that wasn't there before. I guess he got wind of it and changed that.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Magician

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches