[No] Add language option to the GZDoom launcher

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Add language option to the GZDoom launcher

Postby Tapwave » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Xaser wrote:Please reconsider adding this. With the current option placement, it's basically impossible for a non-English speaker to even find the option to begin with, which defeats the point.

Agree with that, and imo it might help bring in more casual users as well.
Tapwave
On the GREEN!

Discord: Insulting#2455

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Right now there's simply too many problems with non-English text to make this more prominent. There were good reasons why this was mostly a hidden option in the past.

Remember: There needs to be an option for graphics replacements in the main menu, there needs to be better font handling for mods that replace the fonts being used to print the text - in short: There's lots of things that need fine tuning and fixing. For the upcoming release I consider this a beta feature that's mainly meant to collect and address the issues that need handling to make this really useful.

Last but not least: Load any mod that does more than replacing levels - either replacing level names, intermission texts, menu graphics, fonts - it will look very broken with non-English language because you either got a mishmash of content or have to forcibly override the mod's content.

Once all this stuff has been addressed in a way that such a mod appears to be reasonably consistent - THEN is the time to add a language options submenu.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby Xaser » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:For the upcoming release I consider this a beta feature that's mainly meant to collect and address the issues that need handling to make this really useful.

That's fair -- if it's still a work-in-progress, then yeah, best to wait. So long as it's in the "later" bucket, not the "never" one.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:55 pm

That's the bigger problem - who knows how much time I can invest here later...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby theleo_ua » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Right now there's simply too many problems with non-English text to make this more prominent. There were good reasons why this was mostly a hidden option in the past.

Remember: There needs to be an option for graphics replacements in the main menu, there needs to be better font handling for mods that replace the fonts being used to print the text - in short: There's lots of things that need fine tuning and fixing. For the upcoming release I consider this a beta feature that's mainly meant to collect and address the issues that need handling to make this really useful.

Last but not least: Load any mod that does more than replacing levels - either replacing level names, intermission texts, menu graphics, fonts - it will look very broken with non-English language because you either got a mishmash of content or have to forcibly override the mod's content.

Once all this stuff has been addressed in a way that such a mod appears to be reasonably consistent - THEN is the time to add a language options submenu.

Agree
theleo_ua

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:37 am

I'd like to report that I run an English version of Windows (which was always English and installed as English) but am located in Russia, and after the update GZDoom started in Russian, even though phantombeta claims it's not supposed to be able to read my location; apparently it does check for something other than system language. I'm fine with where the option is located, but I personally highly dislike automatic language selection anywhere, and it seems especially pointless for a product that has existed for so long in mostly one language. I vote for it being set to English by default.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby Undead » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 am

Automatic language detection has already been removed from GZDoom.
Undead

Previous

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions