How to splitscreen/couch coop?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: How to splitscreen/couch coop?

Postby Daniel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:53 am

I was veery long hoping that some day ZDoom/GZDoom would finally have splitscreen support - something like 15 years ago... thanks a lot for the people that allowed this to be possible!

After some tests, I finally made it work with player 1 in keyboard and player 2 in a XBOX controller. But I couldn't make it run with two XBOX controllers, since GZDoom is (still) not compatible with multiple controller support. I've tried to use Joy2Key and separate INI files for each instance, but it didn't work for two reasons: a) the keyboard is only detectable by the window in focus, so the controller bindings via Joy2Key don't work in both instances; and b) the controllers are always detected by both GZDoom instances - and also the buttons. Actually, we can remove each controller sensitivity, but not the working buttons for each controller.

If we could select the controllers to be used in GZDoom (avoiding it to use ALL at once), this problem would be solved quickly, since we could make two separate INI files, each one using a different XBOX controller.

Follows a screenshot of GZDoom(s) running perfectly!
Attachments
Untitled 1.jpg
Daniel

Postby drfrag » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:17 pm

So XInput joysticks already worked in the background... I added support for 4 DInput controllers in LZDoom (will be in the next release) and XInput controllers are compatible with DInput. For it to work you need to configure the axes for each instance (set all to none for players not using that joystick). Previously the buttons were the same for all joysticks (same events).
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Postby Zenon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:20 pm

What mod is that a screenshot of?
Is it something you've made/you're making?
Zenon
Mostly Confused

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby drfrag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:45 am

I've been confirmed that multiple XInput controllers work in LZDoom as DInput ones disabling ingame XInput support.
RUDE also supports fake splitscreen out of the box (same as old Choco) but since it's on SDL1 you cannot resize the window freely.
drfrag
I.R developer, I.R smart
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Previous

Return to General