Making a whole game as a single map

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Re: Making a whole game as a single map

Postby Blue Shadow » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 am

You're using GZDoom Builder, right? When setting the action special and arguments, choose action 80 (ACS_Execute). There should be a check box for named scripts. Tick it, and choose the name of the script from the drop-down list (you might need to compile the ACS code before it can be seen in the list).

That's as far as I recall on how to do it. I don't have GZDoom Builder installed, and it's been like two years or so since the last time I used it, so things could be different.
Blue Shadow

Postby Xaser » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Regarding the infamous save-prevention topic, a few of us were talking on Discord and I think we've come up with a reasonable-compromise new feature. Somehow. :P

The gist: add a 'nomanualsaves' option to MAPINFO that works exactly like nocrouch/nojump: by default it prevents manual saves, but the user can set an 'sv_allowsaves' cvar that overrides it permanently.

The way I see it, save prevention is exactly the same camp as nocrouch/nojump anyway -- it's basically a hint to the player that says "you aren't supposed to do that," but if they wanna cheat, they absolutely can (e.g. there's nothing stopping the user from enabling godmode in a hypothetical Resident Evil GZDoom TC, nor should there be). And those who hate this behavior can set the CVAR and never have to worry about it again. Win/win.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Rachael » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:00 pm

I really like Xaser's solution. It gives the mapper a way to say "hey, don't use saves" and it gives the user a way to say "I *really* need to save, like... right now!"

As long as there's at least an override, I think it's livable. Like hiding all the lines on the automap, or as Xaser already mentioned, disabling crouching/jumping/freelook.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby Hidden Hands » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:18 pm

This sounds like a very decent compromise. Best of both worlds and everyone is happy.
Hidden Hands
Deadite

Previous

Return to Scripting