Security Reminder

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!

Security Reminder

Postby Rachael » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:28 pm

This post is just a friendly reminder, to everyone, to PLEASE keep ALL of your accounts secure across every site you use, in order to prevent unwanted access by outsiders.

No administrator for ANY reputable site will *ever* ask for your password directly, and neither will ZDoom.

Additionally, please *never* use the same password for all sites. If you need a way to keep track of your passwords on different sites, consider a utility like KeePass and never give away your master password.

Also, be vigilant and keep malware off of your machine. Remember, Windows is not the only platform that can contain malware, especially these days where scripting technologies and virtual machines allow for malware to be hosted on literally any platform and even be fully cross-platform compatible. Yes - that means your Linux, your Raspberry Pi, your Android Phone, your iPhone, your iPod, and your Macintosh can all have malware on them, and it's important to protect yourself.

Keep in mind that for a multitude of reasons, pass phrases are far more secure than passwords. For example: "My_D0g_I$_AweSom3" (don't actually use that, obviously, it's just an example of what you should go for with passwords - note the use of mixed case and unpredictable punctuation/numeral replacements)

Additionally, for any sites that offer it, if you have a smart phone, always enable 2-factor authentication.

Never give your password for ANY site to another person. Even if they are an administrator/moderator!

If you believe your password is weak, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take this opportunity and change it to something stronger. Put it someplace safe if you think you'll forget it. It's really important that you, and only you, have access to your account. Thank you!
Rachael
QZDoom + Webmaster

Return to Resources