With that out of the way, lets (re)introduce this mod! DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer (or DMR for short) is a monster randomizer mod for Doom / Doom II powered by the majiq of DECORATE and RandomSpawners. Originally designed as an add-on mod for Guncaster, it has grown beyond that original idea. The randomized monsters vary from slightly more difficult then their vanilla brethren, to oh-crap-where-did-I-leave-my-BFG levels of difficulty.
The main idea is that each vanilla Doom monster has a 50% chance of staying the same, and 50% chance of being replaced by a variant. As my spriting knowledge is rather limited, expect many Realm667 sprites for now.
This mod should be able to be run with any weapons / gameplay mod that doesn't replace the monsters itself. Sticking with the original mod's intentions, a Guncaster compatibility patch has been provided, which applies some additional changes (or even variants) to the monsters.
GCP = Guncaster patch
- added custom menu to enable / disable extra projectile particles
- GCP: fixed Cyberdemon fire offset (still used vDoom offset)
- added menu option to make GCP boss monsters drop additional loot besides the loot crate
-doesn't do anything when you don't use GCP
- GCP: fixed bug that blood pools of Hell Knights, Baron of Hells and Slime Worms were drawn oddly
- GCP: fixed bug that Ghoul never dropped Mana potions (it now does on its final death)
- GCP: modified Demon, Spectre and Revenant's XDeath to use the new XDeath animations the default mod uses
- GCP: reverted the changes that the new monsters could be rezzed after XDeath
-not being able to get rezzed after XDeath is apparently a feature of GC
- GCP: fixed various monster's duplicate (X)Death states
- GCP: fixed Mancubus fire offset (still used vDoom offset)
- GCP: fixed various monster's Pain states using incorrect frames
- GCP: added missing compatibility for Apprentice
- added XDeath for Cacodemon
-custom made sprites, yay!
- GCP: modified Cacodemon's XDeath to use the new XDeath animations the default mod uses
- GCP: fixed graphical bug with Overlord when killed by special effect weapons (Shocked death, Tib death, etc)
- GCP: fixed bug that Satyr used green gore on XDeath
- remade the mod from (almost) scratch
- merged and / or scrapped monster variants with similar roles
-this mostly effects Baron of Hell and Cacodemon variants
- introduced several new monster variants to fill up the empty spaces or just to spice things up
- many projectiles and explosions have received some additional graphical effects
Main monster mod
Guncaster compatibility patch - Requires the main mod as well
Guncaster patch has been confirmed to work with Guncaster 3.5a.
Older versions of Guncaster (earlier then 3.3) are not supported. If you want to try the mod with an earlier version of Guncaster, I suggest seeing if the older version of the mod / patch works. You can find these here here (in the downloads section of the first post). Note that the v4 Guncaster compatibility patch on the front page does not work with the 3.0 / 3.1 release of Guncaster!
You can find the v4b version of the Guncaster compatibility patch in this post. Run it as described in How to run it, only using the older versions.
How to run it
Get a copy of Doom or Doom II, get GZDoom (3.4.1 release or newer is recommended), and load it up with your favourite weapons mod.
Load order is as follows:
For Guncaster players, you should load the compatibility patch after Guncaster and the main mod, the load order is as follows:
If you want to disable the additional graphical effects, either change it in the mod options, or open the console and enter the following:
Replace the 0 with a 1 to enable the additional effects again.
Bit outdated as of now (22-09-19), will be updated later on.
Following is the list of monster variants as they are currently implemented. Some monster variants are shared across multiple vanilla Doom monsters. This list will be expanded over time, and provide a bit of background lore I cooked up. The lore shouldn't be taken seriously, as I find it a more interesting way then noting "Super Imp is stronger then the normal Imp, fires two fireballs, yadda yadda"
Quite a list. For now I've included a credits header in the DECORATE files per monster with the credits as far as I know. The remainder of the credits are as following:
- DoomKrakken - For creating the original mod and granting me permission to continue this project
- PillowBlaster - For creating Guncaster, which eventually led me to the original version of DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer
- Captain Ventris - For providing the edit of the Quad-Shotgun Guy to make the Ironblast Zombie
- TheSkyBug - For providing useful DECORATE, and made the DECORATE code for the Ironblast Zombie
- Westwood Studios - For various graphical effects
Together with High Noon Drifter:
Together with Trailblazer:
High Noon Drifter again:
Together with Combined Arms:
From older versions: