Vanilla Doom .DEH-based mods (Upd. 14/01/19)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheOldKingCole

Re: Vanilla Doom .DEH-based mods (Upd. 14/01/19)

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Redneckerz wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote:If anyone could tell me what engine Vbrutal was made in (boom, mbf etc) so I could edit how fast the assault rifle fires that would be great, because no matter which I load with it either gives me error messages or when I load it with doomhack it simply doesn't work
VBrutal is just a regular DeHackEd patch, meaning you can run it using DoomHack.

Considering this causes an issue for you, perhaps VULD can help you out. Its a launcher/DeHacked patch merger that will do the steps you are doing now automatically for you. The Wiki link provided also links to the idgames page and provides an extensive explanation how to use the program.*

*I have beta-tested VULD and wrote the explanation found there.
I tried it and still couldn't get it to work. I don't know how kosher it is to ask for help making changes that you can't make yourself, but I think I would like help getting this to work.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

TheOldKingCole wrote: I tried it and still couldn't get it to work.
Explain step by step what you are doing. Most likely i can point out where it goes wrong.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Redneckerz wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote: I tried it and still couldn't get it to work.
Explain step by step what you are doing. Most likely i can point out where it goes wrong.
Thanks. So first I open up whackEd, then I load vbrutal.deh, I set the engine to doom 1.9, load doom 2 as the iwad and then load vbrutal.wad as the pwad.

Following this I go to states and then change the firepistol state duration from 2 to 1 and light state duration from 2 to 1. I then save.

Then I open up dosbox and mount my directory and load dehacked. I hit L to load original game data and then load vbrutal.deh

I get these errors:

"Line 944: Unknown Line"
"Line 945: Unknown Line"
"Line 946: Unknown Line"
"Line 947: Unknown Line"
"Line 948: Unknown Line"
"Patch File read, one or more errors detected"

I hit w to patch exe

Then I exit and launch Doomhack

It loads up with the shotgun equipped and crashes when I hit any button
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

TheOldKingCole wrote: Thanks. So first I open up whackEd,
But you tried it in VULD. :lol: I was asking where it goes wrong there and asked to elaborate on that specifically. Can you do that?

FWIW, The DeHackEd ini file must be pointing to the correct exes and also what is changed.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

TheOldKingCole wrote:Thanks. So first I open up whackEd, then I load vbrutal.deh, I set the engine to doom 1.9, load doom 2 as the iwad and then load vbrutal.wad as the pwad.
If you're using a fairly recent version of Whacked, it has bugs that makes it output a broken .deh file. What I've noticed is that certain flags are not saved correctly, and integer properties are ridiculously large and incorrect, and it seems that it interprets certain things wrong, too.

If possible, try doing the edit with a text editor. And always mention if you modified something yourself before saying it doesn't work, to avoid any confusion and to make troubleshooting easier.

And one last thing, if it does not work even with the unmodified .deh file, you should try redownloading both VULD/Dehacked and the patch, as I've tested and it seems to work just fine on my end.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”