"Map loading" branch?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

"Map loading" branch?

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 am

This has me curious. Is this for the ability to run multiple GZDoom executables at once?

I admit, some naive part of my brain squealed in delight thinking it had something to do with being able to see in-game buildable levels at runtime such as creating new sectors out of the blue, but... I don't think that's quite a doable thing... yet.

So if it's neither of those, what is it?
Major Cooke
The road to Hell is paved in the carrion she leaves behind.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

Re: "Map loading" branch?

Postby Rachael » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:34 pm

To be honest, I don't really know what he's doing there, but my guess is he might be trying to decouple the Hexen hub state from the save game system. A lot could potentially happen if that's the case.
Rachael
QZDoom + Webmaster

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Oh? I'd love to hear more about potential things that could happen.
Major Cooke
The road to Hell is paved in the carrion she leaves behind.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

Postby Caligari87 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:59 pm

I saw something about this previously. To my understanding he's just wanting to clean up the level loader code. No big modding features or anything.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 pm

The entire point is that I was completely unable to test the section code without actually setting up the levels for playing. That cost endless time and I only was able to do a small sample. I want to get the level loader into a state where I just can load a level into some structure and run tests on the data without entering the game. With that I could have done my section tests in a few minutes than two days.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:56 pm

So, I don't think this is going to be merged, I was able to use it for what I needed (by disabling large parts of the map setup that were irrelevant for the task at hand), but overall it is nearly impossible to refactor the engine so that the global level struct can be refactored into something more flexible. But without that it makes no sense to go on with this round of refactoring, ultimately all it provides is splitting up the files that make up the map setup code.

So I'm just going to leave it in case I need it again.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Return to General