Tips for making a Survival Horror Mod?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Tips for making a Survival Horror Mod?

Postby The Philosopher » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi, i dont know if this is the right place for asking these questions but i always wanted to make a Survival Horror Mod inspired by Doom 3 and The Thing but i never knew how to make the ambient and the monsters scary or disturbing or how to make the player feel weak or helpless.
do you have any tips or recommendations?
The Philosopher

Re: Tips for making a Survival Horror Mod?

Postby SamVision » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 pm

There are a few things that I've picked up from existing horror games that do a good job.

1. Discourage direct encounters by allowing the player to run away and/or hide from a monster as their main option.

2. Give the player limited resources so they have to make tough decisions and make every shot count.

3. Good Enemy AI. This is important! Bad AI is what made Outlast lose all of its tension very early on.

4. Open level design, linearity makes things predictable no matter how you stretch it. The best scares are the ones that occur off-script.
SamVision

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Establish a sense of what's normal and expected ingame first, and assume that the only scary stuff is what deviates from that.

A constant, normalized fear only stays scary if one is in danger of losing something in real life.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby kodi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:33 pm

Don't make it impossible to fight enemies. In fact, provide many ways to do so (especially using the environment). But make it really hard or draining on healing resources or whatever so it's usually a better idea to run.
Above all, avoid making it formulaic! Designated and highlighted hiding closets are extremely lame. If you allow players multiple paths and multiple ways to survive they'll be a lot more immersed and thus more easily scared.
kodi
Proscrastinator

Postby R4L » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:57 pm

The Thing uses isolation very well, so I would create a rather large environment, but keep the player there. Similar to Total Chaos and Fort Oasis. Also, just personal taste, but I enjoy more surreal experiences:

R4L
Ordinary Vanity

Discord: R4L#4655

Postby NeuralStunner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Matt wrote:Establish a sense of what's normal and expected ingame first, and assume that the only scary stuff is what deviates from that.

A constant, normalized fear only stays scary if one is in danger of losing something in real life.
To add to this: Avoid a constant barrage of "scary stuff", build up to it. Start with glimpses of "something's not right". Don't be afraid to be subtle.
NeuralStunner
Worldcrafter

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293

Postby wildweasel » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:51 am

Signal the player of "safe zones," too, as they can sometimes also have the opposite effect, leading to feelings of dread when one comes up unexpectedly.
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby NeuralStunner » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:00 pm

wildweasel wrote:Signal the player of "safe zones," too, as they can sometimes also have the opposite effect, leading to feelings of dread when one comes up unexpectedly.
Not a video game example, but I can relate: I had a D&D group that were too paranoid to go in a safe room in the middle of a dungeon - They got into two more fights and were beat to crap before they decided to come back to it.

So they camped against the outside door. :bang:
NeuralStunner
Worldcrafter

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293

Postby Matt » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:50 am

A fake safe zone is totally the sort of thing I'd pull on a player, so I get that.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Ghost Prototype » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:37 pm

If it helps adds to the discussion, I'm currently stuck in-between resource management and realism.
For example, the handgun in my mod can either have the traditional exchange in reloading with the total bullets. Or a more unrealistic one to add "tension" or "make every shot counts" by using clips instead to trade ammo. The latter does make ammo seem more scarce. But in a real life scenario, who wouldn't just save the magazine to load bullets back into it? Instead of tossing a magazine with rounds still left inside. Seems wasteful.
Ghost Prototype

Return to Off-Topic