BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [RC 2018-12-03]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [RC 2018-12-03]

Postby hybridial » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:53 am

DavidN wrote:I also found someone describing it as "a spiteful attempt to "clean up" Brutal Doom by tearing out about half the stuff and tossing themselves off over how much better they think they are" and was ready to get all offended about it but then realized that that description is 100% accurate, and have put it at the top of the site as a ringing endorsement.

Truly inspirational.

I definitely need to aspire to even being half as savage in life.
hybridial

Discord: hybridial

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:15 pm

TOSS AND TEAR
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Samarai1000 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:18 pm

Trying out the release candidate, this mod has come a long way and I'm happy to see it in a fully playable state! I have some stupid nitpicks in the spoiler below.
Spoiler:

That's all I can think of for now. Sorry if my feedback seems overly harsh or anything, I'm bad at critiquing something properly and I really do like this project. I might even build some stuff off of it eventually!
Samarai1000

Postby DavidN » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:07 am

I always welcome feedback like this, Samarai - it's always useful to know what people notice, as sometimes there are little things I see but that don't annoy me enough to change them, but knowing other people notice as well kicks me into fixing them :) I'll take a look down the list when I can!

Solfish, I've noticed the double chaingun drop as well and it's driving me mad because I can't work out why it's happening! Maybe it's something to do with XDeath? I'll have a look. I'm colourblind and the Hell Knight/Baron sprites were generously dumped into the same folder in the original Brutal Doom PK3, which made it amazingly hard to separate them out - looks like I missed that one :)
DavidN

Postby Solfish » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:44 am

With double chaingun drop, you could easily fix it by adding "spawnitem or dropitem" in every death states instead of dropitem at actor properties. About water splashes by bullets and explosions, are you going to finish it or it's in anti-features?

On Trello board, I see that you want to fix weapon switching on empty? Here is a chaingun code example, maybe it will work:
Spoiler:
Solfish

Postby Gollgagh » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:08 pm

I started chopping out the monsters for use with other non-BD gameplay mods. Might I suggest that the dropitems for the Zombieman and Commando be changed to the traditional "Clip" and "Chaingun" instead of the new "RifleAmmo" and "Minigun" for better compatibility with other mods (especially since the classes are already replaced elsewhere)?
Gollgagh

Postby quayside » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Brutal Doom was already perfect, no change needed.
quayside

Postby wildweasel » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:10 am

quayside wrote:Brutal Doom was already perfect, no change needed.

Which doesn't mean this project doesn't have a reason to exist, mind you.
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby MrPyrite » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:25 am

wildweasel wrote:
quayside wrote:Brutal Doom was already perfect, no change needed.

Which doesn't mean this project doesn't have a reason to exist, mind you.

I have to agree with Wildweasel here. This mod could be for people who cant run the original Brutal Doom because of their Potato PC, and this mod can suffice for their taste of demon-slaying blood-bathing.
MrPyrite

Discord: 4773

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods