BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [2018-10-15]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: BDLite - a slimmed-down effects mod [2018-10-12]

Postby wildweasel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Kroc wrote:Found a bug! The mod is interfering with buttons / actions in D64D2.WAD. Using GZDoom 3.6.0 on MAP02 you'll find that the button on the blue key pedestal does not open the doors on the rear wall. In GZDoom 3.5.1, the switch in the centre of the dark room doesn't work. Should BDLite be loaded before the PWAD file?

D64D2 uses a lot of very strange tricks to make its "macros" work, since it is intended for doom2.exe - most notable among them is the use of very carefully placed explosive barrels to nudge voodoo dolls around (since they can't use conveyor belts, as they're Boom features). If the blast radius of the barrel, or the radius of the player, are even slightly altered, this messes up their "scripting" and can result in things not firing off properly.
wildweasel
May or may not have a pumpernickel addiction
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Mr.Enchanter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Ew 3 round burst AR..
Mr.Enchanter
Certified Shitposter

Discord: Enchanter#5420

Postby Dwailing » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 pm

What would you suggest for a HUD? The current version doesn't seem to track grenades or the total amount of ammo left for the assault rifle.
Dwailing

Discord: 5896

Postby Gideon020 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:59 am

Dwailing wrote:What would you suggest for a HUD? The current version doesn't seem to track grenades or the total amount of ammo left for the assault rifle.

HXTRC Hud for Brutal Doom/Project Brutality might work.
Gideon020
Fanboy

Postby eharper256 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Hmm? So this is an even cleaner version of Tomtefar's Brutal Doom Extension? Interestingly, I use his version because most of the BD'isms become toggleable and its built on shifting bd21 back to its purer bd20c days and adding in some fun other things (I especially like throwable C4, the SMG based on the one Doomguy uses in the iconic cover, and all the UI and animation improvements.)

I'll keep an eye on this one as well though now.
eharper256

Postby DavidN » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Interesting to see other takes on building on Brutal Doom! I took a quick look around and it's nice to see that other people have done things like putting the special attacks on a base weapon instead of copy and pasting them all over the place. But I'm stripping things down much further down to the basics and reorganizing the core of it rather than building on top - in ways this project is the opposite of Tomtefar's :) For this reason, I'm not planning to release a version with the "anti-features" I listed in the main post added back in, but I hope to get it to a place where other people might be able to re-add them if they'd like to.

I've put up a new snapshot! http://teamouse.net/games/doom/bdlite-snapshot.pk3 This one puts the rifle back to its normal state - I'll use a three-shot-burst weapon in my own project (its inclusion in the base BDLite was always an accident). It also fixes a couple of major things like adding A_BossDeath calls to the required enemies, and removes the death camera in favour of a simpler original death sequence.

https://trello.com/b/fmJhYIlv/bdlite

I think I'm getting quite close to the end of what I want to do with this, now - I've cut down the number of redundant/unneeded effects dramatically, but I still need to reorganize the remaining ones into a somewhat sensible arrangement. After that, I'd like to do a pass of the SNDDEFS file to tidy that up and add back an option to make gibs/decals fade, but I'm not planning on doing any other major visible changes.

Edit: Oh, except the HUD! I'll need to adapt that to show total/loaded ammo and the grenades.
DavidN

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods