hexenarmor working

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

hexenarmor working

Postby ramon.dexter » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:21 am

So, how does HexenArmor EXACTLY work? The wiki is little bit un-informative on this topic, saying only that making new items is not possible and player has to rely on the predefined ones, or make new inhereting from artipowerboost.
But, we have zscript, so I think it should be possible to extend or modify this.
Or, is the working of HexenArmor hard-coded?
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Re: hexenarmor working

Postby Arctangent » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:02 am

I'm just going to leave the ZScript file for armor here, which includes HexenArmor at the bottom. Explaining it is heavily dependent on how much you understand how Hexen armor system works, how much you understand how armor is implemented in ZDoom, and how much you understand ZDoom's inventory system, period, and starting from the beginning would be a pretty major undertaking, so I feel like pointing at where you can do your research will be a lot easier than struggling to find the actual starting point you need to understand necessary concepts for this.
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:46 am

Two words: Black magic.
This one of those things which are conceptionally so weird that few people have been able to fully comprehend it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby Gez » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:32 am

ramon.dexter wrote:But, we have zscript, so I think it should be possible to extend or modify this.

You can basically duplicate how HexenArmor works to make a different kind of slotted armor system.
Gez

Postby ramon.dexter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 am

arctangent: Thanks, I was looking for this. Well, looks like the easiest way would be to create new items by inheriting the hexen slooted items.
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Postby Gez » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 am

Nope, that wouldn't be the easiest way, because AddArmorToSlot cannot be overridden.

So you have to create a CustomSlottedArmor class with a copy of the code from HexenArmor instead.
Gez

Postby neoworm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:09 am

I was thinking about replacing the whole HeXen armor system with straight up RPG armor slots. Each would have different armor rating, elemental resistances and some special ability like using Heretic +GHOST tag while equipped. And they would not deteriorate at all. You would have to mix and match randomized armor parts found levels to get desired effect. But it would need a proper inventory system which is way over my abilities.
neoworm

Return to Scripting