First results from the GZDoom 3.5.0 survey

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: First results from the GZDoom 3.5.0 survey

Post by Graf Zahl »

It depends on various factors.

I was able to run GZDoom at full HD with all effects except SSAO and shadowmaps on a Geforce 550ti. But that card clearly was already underutilized unless some of the postprocessing effects were on.
For full features my guess is you need something like a Geforce 670 at the minimum to run the game with those features enabled as well. In clear English this means that any recent discrete graphics card should be more than sufficient to run the game without problems, even an entry level Geforce 1030, which is actually somewhat faster than the 550.

Of course, with older hardware or cheap laptops and integrated chipsets things look different. And sorry, but I cannot translated this into AMD terms, but here always the main caveat of significantly slower drivers has to be mentioned which even bring down the best of their hardware to some underpowered Geforce card's level. This will only change when the Vulkan port gets done.
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

Do you plan on making the Vulkan renderer MoltenVK compliant? Considering that only 2.7% of user use Mac, a pure Metal backend would be pointless.
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'm pretty sure there won't be a Metal backend even if the Mac user share was larger.

As for the Vulkan backend, it's on the backburner at the moment AFAIK.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sadly I've been short of time for the last several months. But it's starting to look better, the project that took nearly all my time is close to completion so hopefully in one or two weeks I can again invest more time into this.

Return to “Developer Blog”