Skulltag Emulation - Version 2

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
doomjedi

Re: Skulltag Emulation - Version 2

Post by doomjedi »

Redneckerz wrote: I reckon the TR discord is closed eh?
Well, it's for team members only, it's sort of team dev. discord. We try to be more public recently, but we are still...not public enough.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

TDRR wrote: doomjedi, here's the link to the Skulltag Content thread: https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6242
Thanks, posted there now, you can take a look 8-)
There appears to have been interest in adding new content
Hope it'll be the case.

...is there working download link for Skulltag Content? Can you put it here?
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

what needs doing for the invasion to happen because honestly, it'd be amazing to be able to play mods like Alpha/Delta Invasion, Armageddon Invasion 2, Invasion Unleashed, ETC. on gzdoom
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

[youtube][/youtube]
TiberiumSoul wrote:what needs doing for the invasion to happen because honestly, it'd be amazing to be able to play mods like Alpha/Delta Invasion, Armageddon Invasion 2, Invasion Unleashed, ETC. on gzdoom
Apparently you guys don't understand what i mean. The problem isn't making the invasion system itself, it's because you would need to modify the invasion maps you are going to play to use the new system, and even if i made it as straightforward as possible, the conversion would still need a crapton of work to be close to the original Skulltag version.

And that is made worse when you stop and remember that many of the Invasion maps (Including the stock Skulltag maps) don't even have their ACS sources included, which means you have to recreate that script by hand, or use listacs to get a super crappy, practically unreadable and barely functional version.

If anyone else is going to take care of the conversion, i'll definitely finish the system myself and write some documentation, but i'm not interested in spending hours upon hours on converting a map when i could just as easily play it on it's original format.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

It's not that we don't understand, It's more a genuine desire to be able to play Invasion Maps with the more advanced weapon mods like Russian Overkill, Guncaster, ETC... without having to dumb them down for Zandronum...

Take my mod, Insanity's Requiem as an example, I can easily make a dumbed-down Zandronum build
but in doing so, I'd have to gut all my ZScript edits, all my toaster optimization code, thus making the mod all but impossible to play in singleplayer or multiplayer, with what hardware I have right now...
Lifeform84

Post by Lifeform84 »

Im having a lot of fun playing Skulltag Emulation - Version 2 especially that it works with Colorful Hell that's just Fricken Awesome.

Thank you for making this, i really do much appreciate the work behind this mod.

I hope Version 3 is not dead, it needs fixing of the Skulltag Runes, Some of them dont work in V2 ( Some cant be picked up) And i hope to see invasion available as well.

All in all i don't have much complaints, im grateful for V2 i just hope V3 could be better.

Thanks again for making this !
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll try to address some of your concerns.

The likelihood of version 3 actually happening at all is minuscule. I know what I'd do with it. Remove support for GZDoom 1.8.6, there's no point in keeping it, as IMO Zandronum completely replaces anything 1.8.6 compatibility would've been useful for (like it running on the same hardware, and having a very similar workflow, just with some new features). And instead focus on making an accurate recreation for GZDoom with ZScript and K8Vavoom with some VavoomC.

The problem is. I don't like GZDoom. It's very low on the list of ports I'd use, and in fact I don't, only ever for testing my mods compatibility with it (all the mods I play would run on Zandronum, or even less). So it's kinda hard to be motivated to do such a thing I wouldn't ever personally use. Even the K8Vavoom version is unlikely because it's even more work (and for good reason the port author doesn't want anyone using VavoomC), even if I'd personally really want to see it happen.

As for the runes. It's not a bug, and it's pointed out in the first post, that it's just that those runes couldn't be recreated universally with 1.8.6 compatibility. I have no idea if stuff like the spread rune is doable universally even with ZScript.

And finally invasion. I've already posted above why even if version 3 happened, it would be extremely unlikely invasion support will be there. AFAIK ZScript does little to change that situation, and not like it's particularly reasonable to expect otherwise.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”