Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.6

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Sinael

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 3.3.5

Post by Sinael »

Ther eare already a "free loot magnet" - its right there in the options. The only problem is that it disables blood at the same time.

The monster comment is not about difficulty, but variety. Currently in any scenario you can only have 2 tiers of enemies on the same level out of existing three. weakest and strongest monsters can't appear on the same level at the same time on any setting and that's a shame.

The strat for iroinblast was just a suggestion, maybe think of something else, because "constantly obliterate everything around you, and around corners too" button that makes for very cheap gameplay even by GC standards.

The strucker - "do same thing, but faster" is always a less interesting alt fire mode than "do a different thing".

The separation of particle toggles isn't really about performance, but aestethic/visual choice - for example I like pretty trails, but dislike smoke because it obscures vision, someone might like the opposite and prefer to have more fog but no shiny particles. It would be a good thing to be able to turn such things on/off individually rather than all at once.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Sinael wrote:Ther eare already a "free loot magnet" - its right there in the options. The only problem is that it disables blood at the same time.
The purpose of this switch is a separate gore mode entirely. It's meant to be a sort-of, "different game mode". It's pillow's idea, and I'm not personally invested in it, if you think things should be different, you can always ask in the official GC thread for things to be changed. Settings such as the "Gore to Gold" game mode, are simply inherited faithfully from the main line mod, without alteration, and I don't have any plans to alter this one, as it's not a gameplay option that interests me.
Sinael wrote:The monster comment is not about difficulty, but variety. Currently in any scenario you can only have 2 tiers of enemies on the same level out of existing three. weakest and strongest monsters can't appear on the same level at the same time on any setting and that's a shame.
Don't take this the wrong way, but randomly inserting super difficult monsters among really weak monsters is terrible gameplay design, and definitely not something I'm going to re-write my entire monster spawning code to accommodate.
Sinael wrote:The strat for iroinblast was just a suggestion, maybe think of something else, because "constantly obliterate everything around you, and around corners too" button that makes for very cheap gameplay even by GC standards.
I'm not a fan of the ironblast strat either, for the same reasons you mentioned, it can be used to cheeze all sorts of encounters, and I'm also not a fan of things that "Play the game for you" hence why I removed certain spells like Spiritcannon. The only reason I kept the ironblast strat is because I thought of a joke regarding it, and included an easteregg, and that this strat actually consumes ammo, and doesn't gain the damage benefits or powerups such as Rutger Box, that the player gains while using the ironblast themselves.

I wasn't particularly inclined to overhaul it, as I felt the base ironblast worked just fine, and did its job perfectly well, so in my playthroughs, I tend to just ignore the ironblast strat. Call me lazy, but this particular aspect isn't something I'm focused on, for reasons I'll explain below.
Sinael wrote:The strucker - "do same thing, but faster" is always a less interesting alt fire mode than "do a different thing".
You're sort-of right here. The strucker doesn't do "exactly" the same thing in both modes, instead, the strucker strat ends up being a complete upgrade in pretty much every circumstance, rather than an alternate fire mode. The auto-fire mode has more spread than normal fire, which ends up being an upgrade on top of the upgrade to speed.

"Re-design it then dino!"
I'll pass on re-designing the strucker, it does its job in GCV. This is a workhorse weapon, it's often criticized as a "boring" gun by guncaster standards, but, it gets the job done, and does it well.
Sinael wrote:The separation of particle toggles isn't really about performance, but aestethic/visual choice - for example I like pretty trails, but dislike smoke because it obscures vision, someone might like the opposite and prefer to have more fog but no shiny particles. It would be a good thing to be able to turn such things on/off individually rather than all at once.
I disagree with this sort of thing for many reasons:
- The developer designed things the way the developer meant for them to feel. This is a decision of the artist, on how to present their art.
- Sometimes, particles are a gameplay mechanic themselves. I don't think that was the intention here... but there are definitely games out there that use fog and particles to obscure vision on purpose, as a punishment or challenge.
- Every single time one of those little CVAR switches is called by the engine, you pay the price in speed and performance. The fewer times GZDoom checks CVARS the better. (This cost to processing speed is incurred regardless of whether the switch is on or off. The entire mod runs slower than it could run just for the sake of making it possible to cut out particles at all. The maximum theoretical speed of GCV could be achieved by completely eliminating every single toggle switch, but we'll get off that subject.)

In regards to design and modifications here and there:
GCV is largely an experiment.
I've been tinkering with this to try to learn how to be a games designer. I've learned a lot by working on this project, but so much more from the other devs of GC. If I happen upon an idea I'd like to try and it seems compelling, I've often given it a test here in GCV. That being said, if I'm not super keen on your suggestions, it's nothing personal, and they're not necessarily bad suggestions, they're just either things I'm not interested in, or, they're things I can't, or shouldn't be attempting to apply to GCV.
ohboihereiamagain1
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by ohboihereiamagain1 »

I am having Unholy Performance issues, like 2-3 fps playing on doom E1M1 , no other mods other than gun caster,any adivice?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them

Post by wildweasel »

ohboihereiamagain1 wrote:I am having Unholy Performance issues, like 2-3 fps playing on doom E1M1 , no other mods other than gun caster,any adivice?
Well, I suppose the first question is, what are your hardware specs?
SnapDragoon

Post by SnapDragoon »

Absolutely fantastic mod! :mrgreen:

Had a blast crunching through Maps Of Chaos Overkill with this. The weapons are great, the animations look great, everything about this mod is just great great great, would recommend.
Jayrassic Park

Post by Jayrassic Park »

Really weird edgecase bug, but in Heretic E1M2 (edit: and every level afterwards), switches that are sunken into the wall (I don't know how to really describe it) will occasionally trigger a really weird ledge grab:

https://imgur.com/a/FhyTHdZ

The best I can describe it is that it thinks the switch is a ledge - that screenshot with the ground view of the blood puddle is where it takes me as Cygnis does the ledge grab on the floor. It doesn't impede movement or cause any weird glitches beyond that, and it's repeatable.

This is on the latest stable GZDooM.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.0

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Mod updated!

Here's a brand new gameplay vid for you folks
New features include:

Code: Select all

- Redesigned difficulty levels, simplified into 4 distinct choices
- Strict ammo reductions to max ammo, backpack limit, and ammo pickups for top difficulty
- Defenses reduced across the board for all suits
- Mask duration doubled
- new secret shop stuff
- adaptability to new music addon system
- lots of bug fixes
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I'm having an issue with the shopkeeper interface this time around. The pointer moves stiff while it's active like the resolution isn't compatible with my current settings. I tried tweaking the HUD display settings but it won't budge, is ultra-wide not supported? Currently I am on 6880x3880 by default (haven't messed with that since I installed the latest GZDoom), if there is a limit to the display let me know.
Bochulain

Post by Bochulain »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:Mod updated!

- Redesigned difficulty levels, simplified into 4 distinct choices
- Strict ammo reductions to max ammo, backpack limit, and ammo pickups for top difficulty
- Defenses reduced across the board for all suits
- Mask duration doubled
- new secret shop stuff
- adaptability to new music addon system
- lots of bug fixes
Only played 3.3.5 before this. Just to offer a very quick 2 bug report, stuff I know worked in the previous version:
-New Voices - When set to off, zombies do revert to Doom noises, but still use Project MSX baddie alert sounds.
-Strife Load error - Script error, "Guncaster_Vindicated.pk3:zmapinfo.txt" line 100: Unknown actor class WyvernIdol
...I know. No one plays Strife anymore. Sosumi.

I'm new to the whole Guncaster experience, although I played standard before Vindicated. As such I have to know: Hitchcock's Birds - Is that hidden or just gone? Causing birds to exist was awesome. I miss that.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.1

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

updating to fix bugs

- fixed Key error
- fixed tibbomb
- fixed heavy machinegun
- fixed laser infinite loop
- fixed midas on bosses
- EDAY bruiser brothers fixed
cubebert

Post by cubebert »

I've found a kind of a funny bug when you load GCV with the latest version of Champions. Monsters aren't affected by the mod, but instead their blood effects get changed into random colors. Cygnis' purple blood is left unchanged and monster gibs aren't colored differently.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/p0At8iA[/imgur]
Dinosaur_Nerd

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

cubebert wrote:I've found a kind of a funny bug when you load GCV with the latest version of Champions.
Champions has issues
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Valherran wrote:I'm having an issue with the shopkeeper interface this time around. The pointer moves stiff while it's active like the resolution isn't compatible with my current settings. I tried tweaking the HUD display settings but it won't budge, is ultra-wide not supported? Currently I am on 6880x3880 by default (haven't messed with that since I installed the latest GZDoom), if there is a limit to the display let me know.
Anything new on this?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Valherran wrote:
Anything new on this?
KeksDose is the mind behind the shop, you should ask him.
Dinosaur_Nerd

Re: Guncaster Vindicated 3.4.2

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

updating for a little fix-up to some bugs. Mostly a VM abort that happens with aimtarget and some other minor bad behaviors.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”