Doom Tournament [1.2]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Doom Tournament [1.1.2]

Post by Assassin of Purity »

Rachael wrote:
Assassin of Purity wrote:Mod is perfect for Zandronum. Multiplayer deathmatches reminiscent of Unreal Tournament and...oh wait. This wasn't made for Zandronum. A missed opportunity. I hope someone makes a Zandronum version with support for Skulltag's stuff.
Zandronum is missing too many critical features for this to work well.

Be the change you want to see. You want this for Zandronum? Try your hand at it yourself. You'll have a lot of code and models to convert. Good luck.

Nice try with that "oh wait" bit, though.
Aren't there mods similar to this made for Skulltag? It's possible.
Xada

Post by Xada »

You're thinking of that (very) ancient UT'99 sprite-based mod for Zandronum that took many, many liberties with the arsenal. Also it wasn't exactly the best, especially when compared to a mod like this. It's incredibly difficult to do a lot of things in DECORATE alone and this mod is kind of a testament to what you can get done with ZSCRIPT instead.
Assassin of Purity

Xada wrote:

You're thinking of that (very) ancient UT'99 sprite-based mod for Zandronum that took many, many liberties with the arsenal. Also it wasn't exactly the best, especially when compared to a mod like this. It's incredibly difficult to do a lot of things in DECORATE alone and this mod is kind of a testament to what you can get done with ZSCRIPT instead.
Never heard of that version. I meant other advanced mods made for Skulltag and Zandronum. Do not underestimate Zandronum's modding capabilities. There's very awesome stuff made for that lovely source port. Maybe someday we'll see Unreal Tournament 99 for Zandronum made by someone else that's based off this one.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Assassin of Purity wrote:Never heard of that version. I meant other advanced mods made for Skulltag and Zandronum. Do not underestimate Zandronum's modding capabilities. There's very awesome stuff made for that lovely source port. Maybe someday we'll see Unreal Tournament 99 for Zandronum made by someone else that's based off this one.
I am well aware of Zandronum's modding capabilities. I've been modding for it for longer than a decade, now. So I personally find it very hard to "underestimate" its capabilities - I have it nailed down to a tee just what they are.

The author of this mod chose to use ZScript instead of supporting Zandronum. Please respect her wishes. Any further attempts to persuade her, or any other mod author (yes, I saw you in the Smooth Doom thread, too), to abandon ZScript in the pushy way you just did, *just* so you can play on your favorite port will not be tolerated. That is up to the author, and the author alone, not you.

I do know of a place where you can get a ton of Zandronum mods though - have you ever heard of this place?
Assassin of Purity

Rachael wrote:
Assassin of Purity wrote:Never heard of that version. I meant other advanced mods made for Skulltag and Zandronum. Do not underestimate Zandronum's modding capabilities. There's very awesome stuff made for that lovely source port. Maybe someday we'll see Unreal Tournament 99 for Zandronum made by someone else that's based off this one.
I am well aware of Zandronum's modding capabilities. I've been modding for it for longer than a decade, now. So I personally find it very hard to "underestimate" its capabilities - I have it nailed down to a tee just what they are.

The author of this mod chose to use ZScript instead of supporting Zandronum. Please respect her wishes. Any further attempts to persuade her, or any other mod author (yes, I saw you in the Smooth Doom thread, too), to abandon ZScript in the pushy way you just did, *just* so you can play on your favorite port will not be tolerated. That is up to the author, and the author alone, not you.

I do know of a place where you can get a ton of Zandronum mods though - have you ever heard of this place?
The reply is to Xada, and I've recently found that place so yeah. That's where the awesome mods I've talked about come from. I'm sorry about my posts. My intention wasn't to push the creators into abandoning ZScript. They can do what they want. I just thought that we wouldn't get Zandronum versions, that's all. However, people have made Zandronum versions of certain mods, such as Nobody Told Me About id for example. Since that happens, you guys can be at peace. I wish you a good day.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Tournament [1.1.3]

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I have gone and did it. I can't believe this horrendous hack has worked. Ammo counter textures are now implemented in this 1.1.3 minor update.
I've also removed the view recoil code by popular demand (if you also have Doomreal, don't forget to update it to 1.1.3 too).

I'm going to go out and say this, though. It's very unlikely that I will update either mod any further for the time being. Major refactoring would be needed, as compared to SWWM GZ, it is an absolute mess of janky old code.

Edit: NEVERMIND THE WHOLE THING FUCKING BREAKS AT RANDOM.

Edit 2: WAIT I THINK I FIXED IT BUT I'M NOT SURE.

Edit 3: OK I think that should do it. God, this was torture. Please don't look at it.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Major refactoring would be needed, as compared to SWWM GZ, it is an absolute mess of janky old code.
Yeah, I just hope it's not terribly too much to refactor, dear... Because of all those VM aborts I got trying to stream circus2.wad with this.

That was terrible, I really hated to end a stream on a sour note like that too...
Marisa the Magician

Pretty sure I fixed those aborts.
Okinell

Post by Okinell »

Hello. Just came here to say two things:
1. I ADORE this MOD. As a casual UT99 fan, it brings so much joy to play with these weapons in Doom. Like a dream come true.

2. There is something about one of the weapong that kinda bugs me. The arch of the GES Biorifle Goo. I kinda sense that it takes a lot of time to fall in comparison with the source material. is there something that can be done so the arch doesnt take too much to fall into the ground. MAybe its because Doomguy is kinda fast but, one of the reasons why the Biorifle it's so "controversial" its because its fasts and can corner the enemies really quick.

Sorry if this sounds nonsensical. Just wanted to pont that out. Everything else.... leave as it is. It's just peefect! (Chef kiss!! :D )

Have a wonderful day.
Marisa the Magician

So... 4.6.0 has made the faux "scripted textures" for the ammo counters easier to manage now that I have less crazy math to do to compensate for pixel stretch.

Obviously this fix will break in earlier versions, so I've decided to bump up the minimum version requirement to 4.6.0 itself.

This hotfix additionally fixes the strange "gap" at the top of the textures showing the skybox, which I couldn't figure out how to fix before.
YasuoProjectX
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YasuoProjectX »

so it compatible with Heretic

edit: and also Hexen tho-- oh wow
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

We need multiplayer-bot-maps for this :)
RastaManGames

Post by RastaManGames »

Can't imagine how big is gonna be mess of 3D-Floors on "GZD_Deck16.wad"...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I really need to get this finished sometime:

;)
Layout-wise, it's pretty close to the UT99 original.
Marisa the Magician

RastaManGames wrote:Can't imagine how big is gonna be mess of 3D-Floors on "GZD_Deck16.wad"...
Mess of 3D floors, you say?

And DM-Pyramid as a bonus

I tried making these myself very long ago. They're not even close to the originals and have lots of issues (namely, being at the wrong scale and missing some geometry). Not to mention, having been made awkwardly in SLADE, where there's no previews for this sort of thing.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”