Doom 3k

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT Q&A or troubleshooting forums! They are for active projects only! Please use the Editing or General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Doom 3k

Postby Zombiedraken » Thu May 31, 2018 9:13 pm

I'm calling it Doom 3000 for lack of a better name at the moment.

So basically I'm doing a complete overhaul of the original ultimate doom. Both maps and gameplay.

It's going to have a slightly different story and I will be using as many new Sprite monsters and weapons as I can get my hands on. I am using content from realm667 and other sources from which I will be gaining permissions and providing credits as I come to the point that I can use them.

Currently I am working on version 4 of my first map and is going to stick with this one.

Doom 3k will feature the following;
- 3D Models for objects in the environment (tables and couches and what not)
- A revised story
- New and more aggressive enemies
- New and revised weapons, working on obtaining angled weapons with reload animations
- Maps that are realistic to their intermission screen counterparts, including new maps to make the game longer
- Use of the flashlight.
- Dynamic lighting.
- Implementing hubs for mostly continuous gameplay similar to Doom 3.
- Using eternity-style portals.
- Chainsaw that requires fuel, possibly even require stamina recharge to prevent continuous punching and running.
- Darker atmosphere and music to match (using Psx doom soundtrack and various others).
- Boss battles separate from normal levels.
- Hopefully the use of an oxygen requirement for underwater areas, outdoor areas and air locks similar to Doom 3.

I'm really enjoying how much time passes while I work on this. This first map will be the first one I have ever finished, I have started various other projects but would never finish them.

Keep checking back for updates and screen shots.

Here are some screen shots that I have uploaded via imgur;

Spoiler:

More to come!

PLEASE NOTE!
If anyone notices content that I am using in this project and you were the creator or a contributor, PLEASE don't hesitate to let me know. I will make sure you get credit for it. I am a little disorganized right now and my files are scattered. Once I get everything in one place it will make this easier.
Last edited by Zombiedraken on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zombiedraken

Re: Doom 3k

Postby wildweasel » Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 pm

This all sounds great on paper, but have you read the Project Posting Guidelines? It probably would have been better if you had your screenshots on hand before you created the thread. I won't trash your thread though - take whatever time you need to get those situated.

[edit] Thank you.
wildweasel
I love the smell of sourdough in the morning
Moderator Team Admin

Postby Rustygold » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:38 pm

This Is so freakin cool, I like the attention to detail to make the maps look like they do on the intermission screen. I hope to see more.
Rustygold
They should call you smooth Doom cause you're good at this game -Random chick

Discord: #4939

Postby Gorman Frebmane » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Question. when you mentioned 3d models does that mean that it includes really hard to do geometry like smooth door sides or a structure of sorts?
Gorman Frebmane

Postby ReX » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:03 am

Gorman Frebmane wrote:Question. when you mentioned 3d models does that mean that it includes really hard to do geometry like smooth door sides or a structure of sorts?

He probably meant actual structures, as he was referencing "tables and couches". [Although, I will admit, tables & couches can be built using sectors.] I looked though the screenshots, but saw nothing that resembled models (except, perhaps, the one where the shotgun ammo in front of the targets/bulls-eyes could be a model).
ReX
Title? I don't need no steenkin' title!

Postby Zombiedraken » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:16 pm

I haven't put too many models in yet, however, there is a locker room with bathrooms that I don't have screenshots for yet that already have models of lockers, toilets and sinks. I have finished mapping for the most part, couple rooms to finish and add some details here and there, (add stuff to the empty hangar area, etc.) and once I get the scripting done, which is what I'm working on right now, I will put in the rest of the models, add sprites and then more screenshots and hopefully a play through video.
Zombiedraken

Postby Zombiedraken » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:17 pm

And I have done models of things like that in previous versions of the map using sectors and such but I just didn't like how they looked and how much time they took to make.

That structure I believe you are mentioning, the partition, is done entirely with sectors, part of the security firing range. The targets are 3D floor sectors. Behind the player is a room where you would check out firearms, there is a fence texture covering the window opening with an opening in the bottom. More screenshots are coming once I get the scripting for those elevators you can see done.
Zombiedraken

Postby DavidRaven » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:22 pm

The screenshots look very promising, I'm looking forward to play this :)
DavidRaven

Postby ReX » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:28 am

Zombiedraken wrote:That structure I believe you are mentioning, the partition, is done entirely with sectors, part of the security firing range. The targets are 3D floor sectors.

I was specifically referring to the shotgun shells, which appear to be models, and not sprites. But it's good to know that you'll be using models elsewhere.
ReX
Title? I don't need no steenkin' title!

Postby Trance » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Less than a week ago I was talking to a friend of mine about why I haven't seen E1 mapsets where the levels resemble the structures on the intermission screen. This is some cosmic shit right here.

I like the look of it, but just remember to put an emphasis on flow and interesting encounters; that's what separates good mapsets from forgettable ones.
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

Postby Wiw » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:04 am

Shows promise!
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Postby Zombiedraken » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Yeah the shotgun shells are items, lol. I'm about ~75%ish finished with the first map. I am currently working on the last few rooms and scripting, have to add some sounds to the elevators and sliding doors and then I will start the long process of going into slade and setting up the files for the map and sprites. One thing to keep in mind is that I may not release this until I get a few maps finished because there are pieces which integrate each map with another. This is the first map which ties into one of several hubs that I am going to 'manufacture'.
Zombiedraken

Return to Levels