Ultra-Crispy (25/07/19) I update... again!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kiler_Sanchez

Re: Ultra-Crispy (WIP) 24/05/18 2 new weapons and more!

Post by Kiler_Sanchez »

Saw this mod on Realm667 and just had to check it out, and I must say it's something I certainly don't regret doing. I think this weapon mod is a blast to play through even in it's current WIP state and the constant lines Caleb spits out never gets old. The only real issue I have is that my alt hud doesn't seem to want to scale with my resolution, and the main hud seems like it takes just a bit too much space in the bottom left hand of the screen. I also personally find it a bit jarring that most all of the weapons use Killing Floor sounds but that's just me. Anyway I can't wait to see what comes of this mod in future updates so I wish you to keep up the good work!
erni945

Post by erni945 »

While playing in Heretic - Masters of Chaos, I noticed a few things:
- I could not get any assault rifle only Vulcan Cannon or Jackhammer
-When I gained new weapons, I heard only the laughter of the corvus instead of some of the Ultra Crispy
-When I finished my dynamite, I could pull it out, there was a sound of pulling it out but it could not be seen and I could not use it
- When I cast a mine from Jackhammer, the opponents entered it, it did not explode, only when I shot

In addition, the Ultra Crispy game is great but I have an idea to add crouchsliding such as in High Noon Drifter and some quick attack for example, quick slash or quick kick because pulling a machete is very impractical during a close encounter , what do you think about all this?
Last edited by erni945 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

The quick machete thing is being worked on. Even i miss it when playing.

The jackhammer mine must be shot in order to work. It's not automatic like the proximity bomb or something.

About the others, i am going to check my coding here, thanks for the feedback!
erni945

Post by erni945 »

Hey GAA, I recently tried the trenchgun add-on and noticed that it does not shell casings, what is the reason?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

My dumbness =p

I actually just posted it because i wanted to keep you guys entertained until i decided to mess around with this. But it's been a week since i don't touch the file. I've been giving myself some time to rest.
erni945

Post by erni945 »

GAA1992 wrote:My dumbness =p

I actually just posted it because i wanted to keep you guys entertained until i decided to mess around with this. But it's been a week since i don't touch the file. I've been giving myself some time to rest.

Ok, when can you expect a new version of Ultra Crispy?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hmmm, i can't exactly say. I don't want to deliever a barely touched file. Just to prove i am no kidding, i've only made three things over all and there are many in my to-do list.

The only things done include new sprites for the Assault Rifle, Vulcan Cannon and the Flare Gun got a damage buff.

The to-do list include replanning of some altfires as well as new ones for those which don't have them, proper dryfire states, sprite polishment, and so on ad on.
erni945

Post by erni945 »

GAA1992 wrote:Hmmm, i can't exactly say. I don't want to deliever a barely touched file. Just to prove i am no kidding, i've only made three things over all and there are many in my to-do list.

The only things done include new sprites for the Assault Rifle, Vulcan Cannon and the Flare Gun got a damage buff.

The to-do list include replanning of some altfires as well as new ones for those which don't have them, proper dryfire states, sprite polishment, and so on ad on.
I understand, no less I hope to see the new version as soon as possible, although you can always do everything a bit and release the version from time to time, but you do not understand that I'm driving you because it's not like that :)
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Had to login just to comment how cool this mod is!
Apaul27
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Fighting some cats in the planet "Wool Ball", with Scott & Rebecca

Post by Apaul27 »

Play it with Brutal Doom Monsters to make it more tasty. :twisted:
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Wow!
A very few thoughts:
1) Some weapons need reloadng. Like autoshotgun and rifle. (At least an option to turn reloading on/off.)
2) Menu is somewhat confusing.
3) FLARE PISTOL IS GODDAMN COOL. If only it worked like the original...

PS Where did you get those oneliners? I mean as a fan of Blood, I don't remember some of them :D Like the one that Caleb says when weapon is changed to Flare Pistol.

Nice work, as always!
Last edited by Mere_Duke on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

The name of the mod kinda implies that it heavily relies on flamethrower to cook the enmies. Can we have that, please?
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Yikes I promised to play this a while ago, but sorry, I only just got around to it! Played with latest GZDoom, on Doom, with PDAnomalies and then with Scythe 1 (up to map 6 on both). Keeping in mind that I never actually had or played Blood 2 back in the day so all of my experience is Blood 1.

Here's my thoughts:
  • Flare Guns are basically micro-missile launchers and don't have their standard Blood stick-and-burn behaviour that makes them unique. I understand they come on slot 5/rockets as a result, but its still pretty strange. Something I always liked about the Flare Gun originally was how it was such a non-standard pistol, one that held its own in late game as well.
  • Sawn-off really needs the original Blood SFX, its the best SFX ever for a shotty (especially the double-barrel fire noise!). Also, Caleb reloads his sawn-off slightly quicker in the original, which contributes to its greatness. Damage-wise, its pretty spot on mind, although single barrel fire is more accurate at range than it is here.
  • Personally I don't like having both the Jackhammer and the Sawn-Off, as they pollute each others identity as the close in boomstick. Sort of the same issue with assault rifle and MACs. Interestingly, Trailblazer manages to do a very similar setup with its pairs of shotguns and SMG/Rifle combo, but each of them feels entirely different (partly due to the silly upgrades), so it works there.
  • Splitting bullets between the two types (presumably 9mm and 7.62, though a 7.62 minigun is silly) means there's often not too many bullets to go around, especially on harder wads, given the rate you blow through them.
  • The Voodoo... heart (?) doesn't give alot of bang for its ammo. The Alt-Fire is cool looking, but takes too long to focus down single targets compared to hosing them with lead, shotguns, or explosions. To be fair, the original voodoo doll had similar issues; and was most often reserved for (ironically) sniping far off cultists.
  • The Life Leech also has the same problem it always had... it fires too much. Making it a waste and massive overkill for most mobs, but also rarely powerful enough to warrant boss use much. Although this version is slightly better than the original games.
  • Maybe I've been playing too many more modern games, but the assault rifle, SMGs, and Pistols never needing a reload really bugs me.
  • The Napalm Launcher was always Bloods Rocket Launcher, for sure, but personally I always thought it had better potential if you customised it to have more a lobbing mortar effect, with a sticky ongoing burning effect, as it is basically supposed to be spitting a wad of gasoline, rather than a missile per-se. Depends on how much you want to redesign the original material though.
  • Akimbo can't use normal ALT-Fires (you can in Blood).
  • Akimbo is godly OP for the Handguns, Rifles and the MAC-10's; its just even more dakka and stun-lock for no downside. Slightly less so for the Sawn-offs since they're stuck on single barrel fire (although thats still very good), and jackhammer dual seems mostly redundant. There's no reason to use the singles ever again for most things though except maybe the flare gun because Starburst. Arguably dual MAC's, and especially dual rifles, seem better than using the Minigun as well (mostly as they don't need to reload either).
  • Speaking of Starburst, I'm fairly sure it uses more flares in the original; or it might be because you can carry more explosives here?
  • Akimbo should REALLY be a powerup as a result (replacing Berserk).
  • But if for some reason you keep it is a regular choice, put the akimbo on the regular slot for that weapon; cycling through 8 and 9 is very tedious.
  • The Napalm launcher doesn't have its weird throbbing red animation that it had in the original. Though its not really missed I guess.
  • For the most part, the arsenal seems rather strong when pitted against Doom's normal bestiary. Barons and Cacos can be trivialised by stunlocking them with lead. Imps and Zombies explode with singular shotgun blasts (literally, as I use UniversalGibs). This is a good thing in original blood as it has some very dangerous enemies as a general rule of thumb (cultists can easily chow 40%-60% of your health in seconds if you're not cautious, hellhounds setting you on fire can easily kill you, and spiders can get very dangerous as well, for example), but here there's obviously a higher degree of slower projectiles and using Doomguy as a base means Caleb is mildly less fragile and faster.
  • No Dynamite!
  • No Tesla Cannon!
  • Basic Rifle Zombies seem to drop jackhammers?
  • Duke Steroids as Stimpacks seem... weird somehow, though I get what you're going for.
  • Do you plan on adding the inventory system?
  • What about different damage types and the accompanying armours?
  • The menu is weird and changing the ordering is un-needed. It just confuses people used to standard Doom menu.
erni945

Post by erni945 »

Hey GAA, recently I played Hexen on your mod and I noticed that for 3 hubs I did not get an assault rifle anywhere so I have to you, what item or weapon replaces the assault rifle in Hexen?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Crudux Cruo wrote:Had to login just to comment how cool this mod is!
Thanks bub! hearing that from a Blood fan is a very good thing!
Apaul27 wrote:Play it with Brutal Doom Monsters to make it more tasty. :twisted:
I can also recommend Shades of Doom, Colorful Hell and Kriegsland Enemies (NO REGRETS) for the REAL Caleb x Nazis! =p
Mere_Duke wrote:Wow!
A very few thoughts:
1) Some weapons need reloadng. Like autoshotgun and rifle. (At least an option to turn reloading on/off.)
2) Menu is somewhat confusing.
3) FLARE PISTOL IS GODDAMN COOL. If only it worked like the original...

PS Where did you get those oneliners? I mean as a fan of Blood, I don't remember some of them :D Like the one that Caleb says when weapon is changed to Flare Pistol.

Nice work, as always!
1) The Jackhammer indeed needs this drawback, but it'll be more like the Final Doomer TNT SSG reload than a proper reload state ;)
2) Ohhhh, i kinda like it =(
3) Trust me, i wish i knew how to...

The one liners are edits from Blood 2, some from blood 1, some with edits in Audacity (most of the weapon pickups sounds are edited to be shorter and objective). I didn't wanted Caleb to spell the WHOLE line from Blood 2's Assault Rifle:

"An Assault Rifle. for when you want to kill EVERY PERSON IN THE ROOM, ACCEPT NOOOO SHUBSTITUSHES". - Yeah, Caleb could die until he finishes that, so i just slammed the Singularity Generator "now that doesn't sound good..." part in it =p
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:The name of the mod kinda implies that it heavily relies on flamethrower to cook the enmies. Can we have that, please?
In a near future, why not?
eharper256 wrote: GOD TIER FEEDBACK LIST
Sleep assured this will be taken account. But some small points:

"No Dynamite!" -BEEEEEP, look again! It's on slot 1 and it's a mixture bewteen the vanilla and proximity (fire launches one, altfire launches the other).

Basic Rifle Zombies seem to drop jackhammers? - Not on my side :s Maybe you loaded it with another enemy pack.
erni945 wrote:Hey GAA, recently I played Hexen on your mod and I noticed that for 3 hubs I did not get an assault rifle anywhere so I have to you, what item or weapon replaces the assault rifle in Hexen?
It's listed as the lightning spell in here, which is odd. I think i used the Ctrl+F to change some things and ereased some weapon spots for some ammo spawners. The Assault Rifle needs to be easier to get in the game =p

Also, don't forget that my Hexen mods should be played on the Bringest Them Oneth, otherwise you'll be very scarce in resources!

ALSO GUYS, erni945 updated both music patches from Kriegsland and Ultra-Crispy, so remember to download them for more and more songs!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”