Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated February 3, 2024]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
goldenmob72

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated February 14, 2020]

Post by goldenmob72 »

I-I understand, it' fine
saibog
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated March 28, 2020]

Post by saibog »

hi and hope all is well on your side of the world. really love your mods here. if possible, could you copy-paste a feature from one of your mod to another mod of yours here? i adore the display percentage feature in mod [levelinfo v1.24], and would relish if the same feature be made available too in mod [ammoInfo v1.24]. thank you in advance and for the awesome work.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I think I found a bug with CrosshairHP. When you have a playerclass like Corvus in Heretic or the Fighter in Hexen which heads detach upon an XDeath and have sv_singleplayerrespawn set to true, upon respawning CrosshairHP will no longer work.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

saibog wrote:hi and hope all is well on your side of the world. really love your mods here. if possible, could you copy-paste a feature from one of your mod to another mod of yours here? i adore the display percentage feature in mod [levelinfo v1.24], and would relish if the same feature be made available too in mod [ammoInfo v1.24]. thank you in advance and for the awesome work.
I've added this to the latest version of AmmoInfo. During the process I found a bug that incorrectly spaced percentages in LevelInfo, so that was also fixed. Glad you like the mods.
StroggVorbis wrote:I think I found a bug with CrosshairHP. When you have a playerclass like Corvus in Heretic or the Fighter in Hexen which heads detach upon an XDeath and have sv_singleplayerrespawn set to true, upon respawning CrosshairHP will no longer work.
This definitely does happen, and I spent a while trying to figure out why to no avail. The engine does some weird things when you die in that manner, and it essentially breaks all of the add-ons in different ways. Since I couldn't pinpoint the exact cause(s), I just changed the way everything loads and unloads after death or respawning. This seems to fix it, but introduces a small delay in rendering when a map loads. It's a sufficient trade-off, I guess.
saibog
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated April 13, 2020]

Post by saibog »

hi and hopefully all is well at your place. for me at least, your mod [simple hud addons] is currently the best hud addons for [gzdoom] the entire internet could offer. a rare delight with clean modern interface, superb granular settings and works very well with source port [gzdoom]. many thanks for the incredible handiwork. for your reference, i found some very minor glitches and have some suggestions that you may find useful for any future upgrades to simple hud addons, as per below. hope your mod [simple hud addons] would one day become a definite must-have for all legacy doom gamers. tqvm :D

ammoinfo
------------
bug(?):
* displays ammo where the weapon is not found in the game such as weapon [buzzsaw]. note: i'm using mod [project brutality 3.0] which is still beta, perhaps that causes the problem(?).

for your kind consideration for future upgrades:
* 0%-100% sliders to customize the % level of ammo to be coloured green, yellow or red. for example, a player may like their ammo to be displayed as green when at 100-67%, yellow when at 66-34%, red when at 33-0%.
* options to hide/unhide individual ammo type to be displayed. a player may want to focus using only certain ammo types (due to using favourite weapons), thus preferring the ammo list to be short to quickly read it at a glance.
* option to only display an ammo type only when a weapon using the ammo type is picked up by the player.

levelinfo
-----------
bug(?):
* time for powerup [berserk] counts up, not down.

for your kind consideraton for future upgrades:
* option to enable/disable display for each individual data: kills, items, secrets, time in map, total time played, actual time of day, etc.

crosshairhp
-------------
bug(?):
* object [decorativeskulls] is displayed eventhough in mod [crosshairhp] setting [show destructible object hp] was set to [no], as per screenshot below.
bug with crosshairhp, simple hud addons. wad 1 monster, map 14 the crucified factory.
bug with crosshairhp, simple hud addons. wad 1 monster, map 14 the crucified factory.
* 0%-100% sliders to customize the % level of monsters' health to be coloured green, yellow or red.

hitmarkers
-------------
bug(?): currently none found.

* options to customise the colors of the hit markers and kill markers.

my current doom setup
----------------------------
for your reference:
* gzdoom 4.3.3
* simplehudaddons.pk3 (update april 13, 2020)
* project_brutality-master.zip (version 3.0 beta, github edition)
* steve_flashlight_plus.pk7 (version sept 12, 2019)
* autoautosave-1.3.pk3

some screenshots using simple hud addons (awesome!)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
showcase of simple hud addons. wad 10 sectors, map08 frenzy.
showcase of simple hud addons. wad 10 sectors, map08 frenzy.
showcase of simple hud addons. wad mutabor, map01 mutabor.
showcase of simple hud addons. wad mutabor, map01 mutabor.
my wad/map collection
-----------------------------
for sharing purposes (please recommend me if you know any other great wad/map titles, tqvm :wink:) :
* 1 monster
* 10 sectors
* 2 sectors
* 50 monsters
* 5till l1 complex
* a fistful of doom
* alien vendetta
* aliens colonial marines
* ancient aliens
* arcadia demade
* ashes 2063
* attack
* avactor
* back to saturn x ep1
* back to saturn x ep2
* bgpa missions liberation
* bloodstain
* breach
* brigandine
* brutal doom starter pack
* canyon
* cheogsh
* city assault
* cold as hell
* colonoscopy
* combat shock 2
* combine
* community chest 2
* community chest 3
* community chest 4
* congestion 1024
* counterattack
* crimson canyon
* dark universe p1
* dark7
* dead air
* dead wire
* decade
* demons of problematique 2
* deus vult
* deus vult 2
* diabolus ex
* dimension of the boomed
* disturbia
* doom 2 flashback to hell
* doom 2 reloaded
* doom 2 the way id did
* doom 3 primary excavation site
* doom 64 retribution
* doom darkstar
* doom raider crypt of the vile
* doom zero
* dystopia 3
* epic
* epic 2
* equinox
* erkattanne
* eternal doom
* eviternity
* finely crafted fetish film
* forsaken overlook
* fuel devourer
* genesis of descent
* going down
* gravity
* hedrox
* hell forged
* hell ground
* hell revealed
* hell revealed 2
* hellbound
* hellcore
* hellcore 2
* helpyourselfish
* hi-tech hell 2
* hoover dam
* hurt
* ic2005
* impossible a new reality
* jade earth
* jagermorder
* japanese cp (community project)
* jenesis
* khorus speedy shit
* knee deep in zdoom
* kuchitsu
* legacy of heroes
* lost civilisation
* lunatic
* mayan mishap
* miasma
* momento mori
* momento mori 2
* monster hunter ltd 1
* monster hunter ltd 2
* mordeth
* mutabor
* mutiny
* newdoom cp1 (community project 1)
* newdoom cp2 (community project 2)
* nova 2 new dawn
* obituary
* operation overlord
* paradise
* paradox
* paranoid #halflife
* phobia the age
* phocas island 2
* pirate doom
* plasmaplant
* preacher
* putrefier
* rebirth
* redux e2m4
* remnant
* requiem
* resurgence
* reverie
* sacrement
* saturnine chapel (mnenma o)
* scythe
* scythe 2
* scythe x
* sin city
* sine die
* skulldash
* songs of the damned
* speed of doom
* stardate 20x6
* stardate 20x7
* strain
* strange aeons
* struggle antaresian legacy
* subspace
* subterra
* sunlust
* suspended in dusk
* the brotherhood of ruins
* the catwalk
* the city of the damned apocalypse
* the darkening ep1
* the darkening ep2
* the darkest hour #starwars
* the eye
* the fistula
* the garrison
* the island
* the mars missions
* the unholy trinity
* thunderpeak
* titan manor
* total control
* trapped on titan
* tremor
* tribute
* uac invasion the supply depot
* uac ultra
* unholy realms
* unloved
* vae victus 2
* valhalla
* valiant
* vanguard
* verdant citadel
* vile
* void and rainbow
* vrack
* vrack 2
* vrack 3
* whispers of satan
* whitemare 2
* winter's fury
* zbloody hell
* zdoom cmp1 (community map project 1)
* zdoom cmp2 (community map project 2)
* zen dynamics (note: injection crashes game)
* zone 300
* zpack random maps for zdoom

tags
-----
to facilitate future internet searches:
#addon #bestdoomaddon #bestdoommod #doom #doom2 #doommod #doomhudaddon #doom2mod #doomlegacy #gzdoom #hud #hudaddon #legacydoom #musthave #simplehudaddon #simplehudaddons

-- end of post --
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated April 21, 2020]

Post by Tekish »

I'll try to address your feedback as best I can.
saibog wrote:* displays ammo where the weapon is not found in the game such as weapon [buzzsaw]. note: i'm using mod [project brutality 3.0] which is still beta, perhaps that causes the problem(?).
All of the AmmoInfo definitions are handled manually, and last I checked, that was a valid ammo type in the mod. In the event an ammo type doesn't exist, it would simply not appear in the list. It's also hard to determine what the "official" version of that mod is, since it's locked behind a Discord server.
saibog wrote:* 0%-100% sliders to customize the % level of ammo to be coloured green, yellow or red. for example, a player may like their ammo to be displayed as green when at 100-67%, yellow when at 66-34%, red when at 33-0%.
* options to hide/unhide individual ammo type to be displayed. a player may want to focus using only certain ammo types (due to using favourite weapons), thus preferring the ammo list to be short to quickly read it at a glance.
* option to only display an ammo type only when a weapon using the ammo type is picked up by the player.
Going to have to say no to all of this, for now. The idea for green and red was always to represent 100% and 0% capacity respectively, and I don't really want to change that behavior. The only thing I'm open to tweaking is the percentage in which the ammo colors turn yellow. It's currently set at 25%, which seems fine most of the time, but I would be open changing that to 33% or something if that seems like a better choice.
saibog wrote:* time for powerup [berserk] counts up, not down.
This is the intended behavior. Berserk packs last until the end of the map, and this is why it counts up until the level ends.
saibog wrote:* option to enable/disable display for each individual data: kills, items, secrets, time in map, total time played, actual time of day, etc.
I'm not looking to split up kills, items, and secrets as they are core to LevelInfo's purpose. The map time is already toggleable and the actual time of day is currently impossible for mods to retrieve in GZDoom. I've added an option to display the total time played in the latest version of LevelInfo (1.26).
saibog wrote:* object [decorativeskulls] is displayed eventhough in mod [crosshairhp] setting [show destructible object hp] was set to [no]
This is a Project Brutality issue. That actor (like various other inanimate objects in mods derived from Brutal Doom) is assigned flags that identify it as a monster. This would need to be addressed by the developer(s) of the mod.
saibog wrote:* 0%-100% sliders to customize the % level of monsters' health to be coloured green, yellow or red.
It's going to be a no for this one as well. It's possible I may implement something like this in the future if I get around to redesigning the way CrosshairHP displays on screen.
saibog wrote:* options to customise the colors of the hit markers and kill markers.
This is something I've tested on my own and I don't like the way the engine handles color changes on the hit/kill markers. As a result, I'd need to manually include images for every color variant and that's simply not practical.
Haikus0258
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Haikus0258 »

do you have any version compatible with gzdoom 3.3? I cannot use any higher version.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

Afraid not, they all use some ZScript which requires 3.6 or newer. You may be able to find some older versions of the add-ons out there (which required 3.2), but I wouldn't recommend using them as they lack many of the important bug fixes and newer features.
goldenmob72

Post by goldenmob72 »

Suggestion for Add-on : Make a Add-on that shows the Player's O2/Oxygen when Underwater, To show how long the player has to stay underwater
Kinda like Crosshair HP, but a meter that shows how long the player can stay underwater
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

This functionality already exists in LevelInfo. When the "Show Oxygen Time" setting is toggled, a countdown will appear when underwater indicating how much time you have left before you run out of air.
StroggVorbis

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated November 18, 2020]

Post by StroggVorbis »

If I may request something, could you change all instances of numbered to named ACS scripts? This mod conflicts with Xaser's Parkour, causing for example the chaingun to not stop shooting when you let go of the fire button, preventing you from switching weapons until you're out of ammo.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

None of the add-ons use numbered scripts (and they never have). I also tried to reproduce the issue you mentioned with Parkour and have been unsuccessful. Are you sure it's not something else that's causing this issue?
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I'll need to investigate this further then, thanks for the heads up.
Adamast0r
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated March 5, 2021]

Post by Adamast0r »

These addons are great.
Would you consider doing a health and keys info as well? That way, this could be a whole HUD. Maybe the health could behave similarly to the ammo info, with the numbers changing color depending on their percentage, and perhaps the keys could be colored letters, to better fit the style.
Anyway, just a suggestion. And great job.
Tekish

Re: Simple HUD Add-ons [Updated March 5, 2021]

Post by Tekish »

Glad you find them useful. As for the health, armor and so forth, I designed these things to be used in tandem with HUDs of your preference. With that in mind, I don't think I'm going to add some of that generic information to these add-ons. I could maybe design a simple HUD in a similar style, if that's something people have an interest in.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”