Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

User avatar
Rachael
Admin
Posts: 12960
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Rachael »

A forum poll by its very nature is self-selecting, if there is any poll at all it probably should be done with the game, itself.

Using the code from the stats module this might not be difficult to set up. It could be "Yes" or "No" to send the result, or "Cancel" to not send any info at all, for those privacy or paranoid minded.
User avatar
HexenMapper
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:24 am

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by HexenMapper »

Was there a poll to have sprite smoothing on in the first place?

Its likely a poll will confirm what Doomworld has already shown: We don't like it. A poll would be interesting, but so far everyone seems to agree with disabling it by default. There isn't really a better way to gauge the doom communities feelings on something other than a poll here and on doomworld. If they both reach the same conclusion, I'm inclined to think that is a good reflection of how the majority of doomers feel.

Gathering data might be flawed in that some newcomers (or the lazy) may not know or care to disable smoothing.
User avatar
Chris
Posts: 2845
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:07 am
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Chris »

HexenMapper wrote:Its likely a poll will confirm what Doomworld has already shown: We don't like it. A poll would be interesting, but so far everyone seems to agree with disabling it by default.
I have sprite smoothing and trilinear texture filtering on. I wouldn't be using an OpenGL port's OpenGL renderer if I wanted the blocky pixels of the software renderer. Incidentally, I remember when Boom attempted to add bilinear filtering to the software renderer back in the day, and the only reason I didn't use it was because it tanked performance.
User avatar
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer
Posts: 3110
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Spain

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by drfrag »

nazakomu wrote:As for the bindings, I love the idea of selectable presets, such as a "modern" one, to which the OP is proposing. And then, a preset that would perhaps be called "traditional." And thus with those, allowing new players to have an easygoing choice to make.
But you can have both at the same time, they are not exclusive. The modern layout just adds some new bindings.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48043
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, you cannot. People do not want random movement actions on some keys they do not use for movement. All-in-one-setups tend to annoy everybody and far more people need to do manual setup.
User avatar
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer
Posts: 3110
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Spain

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by drfrag »

You mean that 'iddqd' thing? Is that really a problem? Other ports that are supposedly closer to vanilla already added those new keys. But i don't really care about bindings and filtering, this is a very minor thing and a matter of user preference.
Edit: now that i think of it when i redefine keys in GZDoom i don't delete the old ones and no problems here with those old keys, should be the same with the opposite situation.
Last edited by drfrag on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Xaser
 
 
Posts: 10771
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:15 pm

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Xaser »

The space bar would cause a conflict in an all-in-one setup -- it's "use" in traditional Doom but is often used for "jump" in modern-land.

I'm not even sure it's worth discussing a one-size-fits-all anything at this point, especially with the idea of selectable presets on the table.

A proposal to start:
  • Control presets:
    • Traditional Doom
    • WASD
    • ESDF
    • IJKL (good for lefties, presumably)
    • ...possibly more. What other quasi-common control schemes are there?
  • Graphics presets:
    • OpenGL Filtered (current defaults, only with Software light mode set by default)
    • OpenGL Nearest (GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR, possibly with AF turned on for some crispness; Software light mode too)
    • Software Truecolor (w/dynlights)
    • Software Classic (paletted; no dynlights; basically the same visuals as ZDoom 2.8.1)
Note the use of the Software light mode on both GL defaults; that's something that's essential IMO since it's the only one that gets the look correct. The others are legacy modes at this point.

Software dynamic lights are... i dunno. I'm advocating having them off in Classic (to match OG ZDoom) and on in Truecolor, but YMMV on that and it's less important to my eyes than the other parts.

Either way, this is meant to be a starting point, not a final draft or anything.
User avatar
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer
Posts: 3110
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:51 am
Location: Spain

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by drfrag »

Xaser wrote:The space bar would cause a conflict in an all-in-one setup -- it's "use" in traditional Doom but is often used for "jump" in modern-land.
I just bound 'e' to jump and kept the space bar for use.
User avatar
Rachael
Admin
Posts: 12960
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Rachael »

Presets really are the way to go, here. But WASD is not the "only" reset that must be considered - as I said earlier, WQSE are also perfectly legitimate and that's what *I* personally set up - it's used in a lot of role playing games and I feel like it is a lot more flexible - I am actually VERY annoyed that people assume that no one uses it and does not offer the option to it.
User avatar
Matt
Posts: 9670
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:37 pm
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Matt »

WASD is microwaved sashimi.
WASD is Jingle Bell Rock.
WASD is owning a pet and calling yourself a "dog parent".
WASD is "first name middle initial last name" on forms that don't accept hyphens or spaces.
WASD is electric guitars and addressing the Father as "daddy" during Mass.
WASD is an abuse as banal as it is unnatural, symbolic of all the ignorant small-minded insipidity of gamer philistinism that keeps the medium from being respectable forever.

Graf Zahl wrote:No, you cannot. People do not want random movement actions on some keys they do not use for movement. All-in-one-setups tend to annoy everybody and far more people need to do manual setup.
Thank you.

I think the only honest thing to do is to leave the defaults as the original Doom defaults, let the player configure, and maybe show a little reminder somewhere where the gzdoom.ini is being stored on that machine.
User avatar
Rachael
Admin
Posts: 12960
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Rachael »

Well with that out of the way, I think that makes a pretty strong case AGAINST the WASD defaults. But even with that in consideration, a lot of people do use that setup, so again, I see nothing against offering presets.
User avatar
Pixel Eater
 
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:31 am
Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Pixel Eater »

Anyone else use PL;' ? Enter for use, right Shift Ctrl for jump and M for run. Brings you closer to the inventory and moves the bulk of the keyboard away from the mouse. Even still, I collide the two but far less frequently.
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kinsie
Posts: 7317
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:22 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: MAP33

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Kinsie »

Matt wrote:WASD is microwaved sashimi.
WASD is Jingle Bell Rock.
WASD is owning a pet and calling yourself a "dog parent".
WASD is "first name middle initial last name" on forms that don't accept hyphens or spaces.
WASD is electric guitars and addressing the Father as "daddy" during Mass.
WASD is an abuse as banal as it is unnatural, symbolic of all the ignorant small-minded insipidity of gamer philistinism that keeps the medium from being respectable forever.
I agree with Matt and would like to propose a new default, compulsory control scheme in the spirit of his mod.

Tab: Forward
Numpad 8: Strafe Left
Print Screen: Strafe Right
DirectInput Button 7: Backwards
Analog Pedal +: Primary Fire
Analog Pedal -: Secondary Fire
Xinput Xbox Guide Button: Use
Left Mouse: Disconnect from Server
Middle Mouse: Suicide
Right Mouse: Crouch
Mousewheel Up: Automap
Mousewheel Down: Jump
Z: Previous Weapon
Media Keyboard Play Button: Next Weapon
F13: Menu

Anyone who disagrees with this is destroying the medium and their continued existence here will not be tolerated under Gamer Law.
dpJudas
 
 
Posts: 2869
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by dpJudas »

Rachael wrote:Well with that out of the way, I think that makes a pretty strong case AGAINST the WASD defaults. But even with that in consideration, a lot of people do use that setup, so again, I see nothing against offering presets.
Despite some cheat codes moving the player I'm personally still in favor of having WASD as the default. That said, the presets would solve the entire problem as I don't really care what the defaults are per se - I just want a quick fast way to have a more reasonable bind starting point.
User avatar
Rachael
Admin
Posts: 12960
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Sprite Smoothing and Bindings

Post by Rachael »

Kinsie wrote:I agree with Matt and would like to propose a new default, compulsory control scheme in the spirit of his mod.

Tab: Forward
Numpad 8: Strafe Left
Print Screen: Strafe Right
DirectInput Button 7: Backwards
Analog Pedal +: Primary Fire
Analog Pedal -: Secondary Fire
Xinput Xbox Guide Button: Use
Left Mouse: Disconnect from Server
Middle Mouse: Suicide
Right Mouse: Crouch
Mousewheel Up: Automap
Mousewheel Down: Jump
Z: Previous Weapon
Media Keyboard Play Button: Next Weapon
F13: Menu

Anyone who disagrees with this is destroying the medium and their continued existence here will not be tolerated under Gamer Law.
And the winner is...

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”