[DEMO - WIP] World of Strife

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [DEMO - WIP] World of Strife - update: new BETA

Post by Captain J »

ramon.dexter wrote:Umm, this is different project. I'm working on Shadows of Apocalypse, which is now onhold (ran out of ideas, again), and World of Strife (this one). Since I'm using nearly similar resources, it could be little bit confusing.
The last release of WoS is a Big Update. I've added many new quests and polished zscript code for it. Try it, it's more complete now.

And I can say I have some new goodies prepared. They just need some polishing, but I believe I will update this thread by the end of week.
Yeah, i see. And this project is... Wow. A lot different and the maps are extremely HUGE! Despite of it being unfinished i still haven't explored all of the places completely yet. But i manage to find some errors and weird things i found during the gameplay.
Spoiler: Here are the feedback. I activated IDMYPOS to find the problems easily. Hope it really helps because this is really, really long.
Again, wow... Very long and immersive game. This is definitely the Breath of the Wild level of detail. And i really love that i get to play as a bad guy and see the perspective of the Order. Sure, it has some plot holes like the Order letting women to live and afford a job, and Maulers are on sale. But i definitely would like to see more from this!

EDIT: About the areas showing weird tag thingie on HUD, i think it happens because of the certain items placed or spawned around the map. Pretty sure i killed a golden rebel and he dropped the Assault Gun. And the tag appeared.
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Captain J: Wow, thanks for an extensive feedback. This will help me to find anything that I overlooked. I'll dive into this.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I guess diving deep into the game for 2 hours was really worth it! Glad i could be of help with the troubleshooting. And during the gameplay i found a hefty load of typos from multiple NPCs. But i really don't want to clutter the thread, so i'll PM you about this. Cool project overall!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Here we go, another little big update!

I started making models for strife! Since I bought the oculus VR headset, I started making models for the WoS weapons (and generally, weapon models for strife, because strife lacks any proper weapon pack), and ended up making a model pack for all strife objects, because why not?
NOw, let's cut the talk and here are the pics:

The crossbow. Hardest model for me, because of the animation. It works, also the two types of arrows are included. No, there are still no arrow models, since I'm good with sprites for projectiles.

Assaultgun. No hand yet, and only basic animation. Reloading animation included!

Mini Missile Launcher. Yep, the rockets in front of barrel are fully animated and spinning during shooting! Nice!

Grenade launcher. Both shoot modes are working.

Flamethrower. The model is okay, but I've got to fix the zscript mechains, because the flames are only visual now (meaning no damage yet).

The Mauler. Both shooting types work, I've got to tune up the texture so it looks like the sprite weapon.

And for the static props...:

The starting room. Please notice how every sprite has been succesfully replaced with fitting model.

Detail of the stuff on table in starting room. The trees and shrubs are models. Especially the trees give me some Hexen II vibes!

Details outside the Spilled Goblet pub.

...and inside the pub.

Modelled Relics inside the town temple. Yep, the cultist is by mr.Neoworm.

Some housing decorations...

The strife Surgery Crab gizmo, now a model!

The portable shield from realm667, now a model.

Even the shouldergun using A_Overlay is a model now.

The flame turret, also from realm667.

The Swarmers from realm667. I love how this model works and looks.[/spoiler]

And much more! I must notice the numerous torches and lights, which work great when combined with sprite flames.

99% of the models are original and made by myself. The only 4 models not made by me are the binder helmet, light and heavy armor and the weapon holding hands (these are from quake 2). I made these out of the Hunter skin/model from quake and UT. I dunno, but I like this guy. Also, the binder (the new player model) is based on the Hunter.
The textures are also made mostly from scratch. Sometimes, I draw the texture, sometimes I try to stitch it up from stock strife textures and sometimes I use upscaled sprite.

My humble plan is to make a big modelpack for Strife. The weapons are done, ammunition is also done, same for the inventory items. I'm working right now on the static props and my wildest dream is to make the animated enemies. But that's the hardest part, because I need to actually learn how to make a character animation in Blender. So, I would be really grateful if anyone with modelling experience and skill would lend me a hand on this. Strife is a good game, and it's really a shame that it is mostly ignored by the community. My aim is just to enhance the Strife, which is being little bit overlooked. And game as good as Strife really doesnt deserve such a mediocre reception.
Ozymandias81

Re: [DEMO - WIP] World of Strife - update: MODELS for STRIFE

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Damn, this is some brilliant work so far! I'll playtest this when I'll have time for sure :wub:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Wonderful weapon models. I'm really impressed that you've made a lot of them in small time. Looking forward to see more from you!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

...and a little add-on...

A little walk through Silent Hills showing models...

...and weapons shoowcase.

Just a note: Some weapons need a little bit tuning, like adding some kickback movement. I've fine-tuned them for VR, so I really didn't care how it looks on PC. Turned out the weapon animation works, but I need to add some more kickback. Especially for the mauler. Will be tuned.
Ermac

Post by Ermac »

Really impressive stuff with a brand new world to explore and with all those 3d and voxel models. I'm a big fan of VR and I'm glad that you are taking VR into consideration. Are you going to release a separate weapon pack (without hand models) for VR or some mod option to switch between VR and non-VR weapons?
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Please, read my posts completely. I've said before that I will be supporting VR. That clearly means that there will be two weapon packs, one for VR and second for PC. As VR and PC needs different offsets in modeldef.
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

oh shit. wow! very nice!
rambo

Post by rambo »

Wow you really went off on a wild tangent there, starting with maps/story and then suddenly making a model pack for Strife in general. I know the feeling. ;)

Both parts truly impressive.
ramon.dexter

Re: [DEMO - WIP] World of Strife - Looking for help with mod

Post by ramon.dexter »

Well, while the summer came, I came to conclusion that I want to release the half-finished modelpack for WoS. So, here it is.
Just one note: Yet, the modepack is tuned for use with WoS-base OR WoS-Gameplay ONLY! It will not run with barebone strife because of the WoS actors/classes definition. PLEASE, if you want to use it, you are free for PERSONAL use only. The modelpack is intended to be used with the WoS. It is not finished. When it will be finished, it will be released for full public use. Why I'm releasing it in this state of art, when it's not finished? Well, I just don't want to keep you waiting. Also, I need some feedback on my models. Also, I have more work AFK, so I'll probably fully return to this is the fall, so that's the second reason for releasing it half-finished.
Buut, there are many more changes under the hood. I have finally implemented the zscript STATUSBAR, so goodbye SBARINFO!!! :D Pretty happy about it. Now I can print anything on the statusbar!! For the statusbar changes: You can notice that the inventory displays now two numbers on items. The green number is weight of single item, the yellow number is the amount of said item in inventory. The Status PopUp Display then displays the total weight of all carried items. Player is allowed to carry 2500 (points, right now. I have to think up some name for the wight, since it's a random number for now). When he carries over this limit, his walking&sprinting speed is halved down. When player carries twice the limit, he can't move at all. Simple and efective.
Second big change is implementation of Lost Frontier mechanics, with HUUUGE help of mister Jarewill. From now on, there are is item limited by MaxAmount, but by item weight! Meaning that player is pretty limited on what he is allowed to carry, and also the weight of carried items affects players speed! Also, there is new Sprinting and bleeding mechanic. The idea and mechanism of ArmorShard has been tranformed to fit new armor mechanism, so it works perfectly with the new Lost Frontier armor system.
Here it is for testing, please, take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kaoNNf ... sp=sharing

One note: Since I started using lots of models, the maps started to be little bit demanding. The open big cities are just little bit taxing for older machines.

And one last thing: I'm starting to have a need a help with the model pack. I am able to model static models, I can even make some basic animations or the animated weapons. But I am totally failing at animating characters. I just cannot get the grab of it. Also, modelling characters is little bit alien for me, I can make only basic blocky figures that simply don't look good. So, if anybody would like to and have a time for it, I would really appreciate a help from a more skilled modeller with the character models for WoS...
Cherno

Re: [DEMO - WIP] World of Strife - update: zscript and more

Post by Cherno »

The models would benefit from SimSun, I believe.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Some of these models are great - they really capture the correct look and don't look out of place at all. Very nice job.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Okay, moving this (again) to small on-hold, because I've little bit exhausted myself on the modelling. So, I will come back when I'll come back.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”