FamiliarDoom [Beta13]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
4thcharacter

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta8b]

Post by 4thcharacter »

shadstarn wrote:i dont understand this mod....
why would you want petts?

Well, people love pets.
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta9]

Post by krokots »

I added a fully customizable monster replacement system (check options), whenever I add an familiar, you can change some Doom monster to it. Updated Weapons of Saturn version because of this new system.
And baby cacodemons.
Tanksy

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta7]

Post by Tanksy »

krokots wrote:
Tanksy wrote:This mod is brilliant, and I can't wait to see what mods get compatibility patches. I want one for DRLA!
I'd like that too, but due to DRLA not updating for new GZDoom versions, it is right now impossible.

Edit. Updated! Important fix in this version (not all familiars were dropping).
Not entirely true, as DRLA still works on newer versions of GZDoom. Hell the Monsters are a standalone pack and they work more than the rest of RLA does. I might try working on some compatibility with various monster mods if I find the time. Like mecha-hitler! :D
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta7]

Post by krokots »

Tanksy wrote:
krokots wrote:
Tanksy wrote:This mod is brilliant, and I can't wait to see what mods get compatibility patches. I want one for DRLA!
I'd like that too, but due to DRLA not updating for new GZDoom versions, it is right now impossible.

Edit. Updated! Important fix in this version (not all familiars were dropping).
Not entirely true, as DRLA still works on newer versions of GZDoom. Hell the Monsters are a standalone pack and they work more than the rest of RLA does. I might try working on some compatibility with various monster mods if I find the time. Like mecha-hitler! :D
OK I did't know that. I might try making a Familair edition of DRLA, but without additional monsters as for now (because my mod just got a monster-replacing system).

Edit. I just run the latest DRLA version on GZDoom. There is a collosal yellow list of possible bugs, and I don't really know how serious can they be, most of them is just not correct type of variable in "A_SpawnItemEx" function ("None" instead of 0) and stuff with pointers inside inventory. I don't think those can cause crashes.
But anyway, if you want to play DRLA with Familiar Doom, you have to change only two things:
In Decorate

Code: Select all

ACTOR DoomRLPlayer : PlayerPawn
change "PlayerPawn" to "SQPlayer"
and add a line

Code: Select all

StatusBarClass = "GStatusBar"
to MAPINFO inside gameinfo definition.
Load Familiars first and then DRLA. This runs good (with all the huge bug list), the HUD works. But I did not test anything beyond running it.

-
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta11]

Post by krokots »

Updated, I added new monsters and traits
Defensive Aura - when close to familiar, player damage is reduced
Radioactive - cumulative damage over time to near enemies
Magnetic - attracts items - this can be "level" braking probably, but FUN!
Stoneskin - when familiar recieve high damage, he will buff his defense considerably for some time
Cursing - attacks curses enemies, they will deal less damage
Backstabbing - attacks from behind deal triple damage!
Freezing - similar to Chilling, but effects is stronger and only applies to enemies attacking by melee
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Wait what??? :shock:

I go away for like a week and you updated about 2-3 times. WOW thats fast.

Gona go get it and hopefully not complain about horible bugs!

Considering how fast you are updateing the main one. i try to avoid recomending compacts to certain things until you slow down a bit or expecificly ask for some.

Edit:Your summons list is geting so huge that choseing one manualy in custom familar is starting to get BAD. i recomend makeing it a slider or a sub-menu just for it.
krokots

Post by krokots »

kadu522 wrote:Wait what??? :shock:

I go away for like a week and you updated about 2-3 times. WOW thats fast.

Gona go get it and hopefully not complain about horible bugs!

Considering how fast you are updateing the main one. i try to avoid recomending compacts to certain things until you slow down a bit or expecificly ask for some.

Edit:Your summons list is geting so huge that choseing one manualy in custom familar is starting to get BAD. i recomend makeing it a slider or a sub-menu just for it.
Oh if there is slider option then I will definitely do this. Yeah If I add one monster every day...that would make over 300 types of monsters at the end of the year if I update constantly :D
QuickWolf

Post by QuickWolf »

Is it possible for you to make hotkeys for inventory items? Cause sometimes i'm in a pinch and having to cycle through the inventory takes my eyes off the enemies
Btw awesome mod , i love it, kinda reminds of digimon world where you don't control the monster directly, you're job is to make him stronger by keeping him alive but he's still kind of independent

Keep up the good work :wink:
krokots

Post by krokots »

QuickWolf wrote:Is it possible for you to make hotkeys for inventory items? Cause sometimes i'm in a pinch and having to cycle through the inventory takes my eyes off the enemies
Btw awesome mod , i love it, kinda reminds of digimon world where you don't control the monster directly, you're job is to make him stronger by keeping him alive but he's still kind of independent

Sure, I add hotkeys as soon as I find out how to make them:) BTW I added almost 100% functional control over familiars. This means you will be able to control them - walk, fly, shoot, open doors with them, etc.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

Will they get experience when you fight like that? That'll be good for getting those first few levels on some of the wimpier ones.
QuickWolf

Post by QuickWolf »

krokots wrote:
QuickWolf wrote:Is it possible for you to make hotkeys for inventory items? Cause sometimes i'm in a pinch and having to cycle through the inventory takes my eyes off the enemies

Sure, I add hotkeys as soon as I find out how to make them:) BTW I added almost 100% functional control over familiars. This means you will be able to control them - walk, fly, shoot, open doors with them, etc.
Wow, really? :shock: Awesome :D
This will be the best mod ever for sure
krokots

Post by krokots »

Funky Gnoll wrote:Will they get experience when you fight like that? That'll be good for getting those first few levels on some of the wimpier ones.
Yes they have all their properties, you just control them like a player.
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta12]

Post by krokots »

Huge update. Huge because the control-familiar stuff took some time to do, but it works almost perfectly now. The movement can be a bit janky - if your familiar did not stop moving in some direction, just press the key again. I'd fix it but it is really late here, and I need some break from this. Optionally they can pickup keys, so you can play through levels only with familiars. They unfortunately still can't activate invisible trigger lines, like lifts, but I might try to add that too. BTW ArchViles can't resurrect when controlled, I might add it possibly, but it would be ridiculously powerful then.
Also added cool options - now enemies can attack familiars automatically, so no longer will they stupidly stand and do nothing. Check options to see what I added.
Added about 10 new familiars maybe? It's over 50 now anyway. Mostly imp variants now.

Cool stuff you can do: use Lost Souls to speedrun levels (if they can survive). Play as a ChaingunGuy and take revenge after all these times you died from them. Play as a Cyberdemon and get stuck in first room of Doom 2. Whatever, every monster is playable now.

I'd add some new video, maybe tomorrow, because its 2 in the middle of the night, and fug, I need to sleep.

Ah and now it works with DamNums without making any edits in files.

Aand the door / switch detection for familiars is a bit harsh - you have to be REALLY close to door / switch to press use. For now I haven't been able to find some better solution than this what is right now.

Crap I forgot to mention that attack rate (besides melee), when controlled by player, is affected by "Aggresiveness".

Das Changelog
Spoiler:
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta13]

Post by krokots »

Update 13. I'll probably take a break from adding content to this mod for some time, because I want to concentrate on other things now. But that is not for sure. Anyway, I'll fix any bugs, so post them if you find any.
The monster control is almost 100% accurate now. You can basicly control monsters like they control themselves, the differances are - you can move in any direction, monsters only move in 8 directions. And you have fixed rate of fire, monsters shoot randomly.
Midnight_King

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta13]

Post by Midnight_King »

I noticed in the original post you said we could ask you to make mods compatible with this. I was hoping I could somehow convince you to work with Nun with a Gun (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=59072) and Necrodoom (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31741)

If not, I understand. These are my two most used weapons mods and I really wanted to use this with those mods. I'm also a noob at modding, but I'd take advice for how to do it myself if someone could walk me through the process.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”