(v3.0b) Enhanced Vanilla Project (EVP) - My first Doom mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Enhanced Vanilla Project (EVP) - My first Doom mod

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

v2.3 (31/12/20)
New draw and cooldown sounds for the Plasma Rifle
New pickup sounds for bullet ammo and the Berserk pack
Adjustments to the HUD
New sounds for the Baron
New death effects for the Pain Elemental
Added the blood portion of NashDecals
Added CBlood: Ultimate Edition by Nash (for the Dehacked nonsense)
Made sure some of the menus don't scale
Updated the widescreen intermission image (doesn't affect the GZD's IWAD widescreen images)
Chainsawing enemies no longer turn you to the target you're hitting
New difficulty - Ultra-Violence+. Works exactly like in the Unity port of Doom: UV with fast monsters and multiplayer spawns.
New mouse cursor (by Nash)
Replaced the end-game cast sequence
Updated DarkDoomZ to 1.9a
Added a cycling sound for the Rocket Launcher
Changed the fire effects for torches
Added an option to enable/disable the mod's effects (also a keybind to toggle it on the fly)
Added mugshot slime death sprites and marine slime death sprites
Custom mugshot set for Radiation Shield
New idle marine sprites (by Superdave938)
Fixed the "divided by zero" error in the tracker script

Be sure to bump your GZD to 4.5 and Happy New Year.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

pain elemental, spider mastermind and nazi soldier are vanilla on 4.5 gzdoom version, the previous version of the mod has this issue too but only on 4.5 gzdoom, so i guess its gzdooms fault
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Gorec wrote:pain elemental, spider mastermind and nazi soldier are vanilla on 4.5 gzdoom version, the previous version of the mod has this issue too but only on 4.5 gzdoom, so i guess its gzdooms fault
Works fine on my end, did you try checking the compatibility settings under "mod options"? Could be that one of the per monster replacements is checked. :shrug:
Misery

Post by Misery »

Is the health and armor bonus supposed to give double points? Reason I ask is because I notice if I use console commands, it gives a different amount depending on whether you GIVE it or if you SUMMON it then pick it up, and I wanted to comment it out if it was intentional.

Edit: Also, are any of the weapons stronger? The chainsaw seems stronger, but I can't be certain.
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BerserkerNoir »

Is intentional that the chainsaw now in idle animation doesnt move?
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Misery wrote:Is the health and armor bonus supposed to give double points? Reason I ask is because I notice if I use console commands, it gives a different amount depending on whether you GIVE it or if you SUMMON it then pick it up, and I wanted to comment it out if it was intentional.

Edit: Also, are any of the weapons stronger? The chainsaw seems stronger, but I can't be certain.
Health and armor bonuses do give you 2 of each and chainsaw is, well, a dual blade one so that means 2x the DPS (same danage, but at a faster rate)
BerserkerNoir wrote:Is intentional that the chainsaw now in idle animation doesnt move?
Yes
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

v2.3a (21/1/21)
Reverted the movement of Cacodemon and Pain Elemental back to default
Minor updates to the powerup timers in the fullscreen HUD
Added footstep and liquid splash support to various texture packs
Fixed the difficulty-based monster replacements (oops)
Misery

Post by Misery »

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote: Reverted the movement of Cacodemon and Pain Elemental back to default
What was the difference with their movement before?
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Misery wrote: What was the difference with their movement before?
It used to be much smoother (2.6 units per 1 tick instead of default 8 units per 3 ticks) but I realized it caused some issues (mainly those enemies getting stuck in some mapsets and reducing the radius to compensate that) so I reverted that change I made awhile ago.
Misery

Post by Misery »

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's a real shame, 'cause I really like the modified monsters better. The regular versions are so boring now. But since you mention that, I wanted to ask about the Revenant's missile attack. I noticed that his missiles hit the wall a lot, and his sprite is taller than his hitbox, so he is able to go into rooms he's too tall for, and his missile hits the ceiling. Not wantin' to complain, but it does neutralize him sometimes.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Misery wrote:Oh, I see. Yeah, it's a real shame, 'cause I really like the modified monsters better. The regular versions are so boring now. But since you mention that, I wanted to ask about the Revenant's missile attack. I noticed that his missiles hit the wall a lot, and his sprite is taller than his hitbox, so he is able to go into rooms he's too tall for, and his missile hits the ceiling. Not wantin' to complain, but it does neutralize him sometimes.
The missile offsets work in your favor sometimes and I'm not touching the default height of the Revenant (which is at 56 units) for compatibility reasons.
fcas3t

Post by fcas3t »

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:Fixed the difficulty-based monster replacements (oops)
Can you explain what the problem was? And did it affect version 2.2? (I'm still using 2.2)
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

fcas3t wrote: Can you explain what the problem was? And did it affect version 2.2? (I'm still using 2.2)
It was after I added Ultra-Violence+ difficulty in 2.3, I forgot to readjust the skill numbers in the replacer code (4 and 6 before for "Doom Slayer" and "Hitscanner Hell" respectively and now it's 5 and 7)
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

First of all I wanted to say I'm impressed with how far the mod's come. Haven't upgraded in quite a while and everything is so much better ! The effects, all the incorporated mini-mods, the Chaingun sprite and so on !

On a less happy note, I play this solo but I would also wish to play this in multiplayer. Unfortunately it causes desync. I'm trying to debug it, but seeing how you're the dev, you'll have a much better chance at this than me. I'll still look for inconsistencies from CVAR stuff and Console Player stuff and come back to you if I find anything. Weirdly enough, disabling the EVP props reduces the amount of desyncs popping up, so one of the props is definitely causing desyncs BUT there are still desyncs with it disabled, so something else causes that too, be it EVP stuff or some part of the mini mods ! If you want or need help, I'm very much willing to help so don't hesitate ;)

Edit :
Some further testing :
V30.2a doesn't seem to trigger any desync (I'd need more extensive tests I'll likely do to confirm that but it definitely seems like it and the same "situations" that trigger then in v2.3a at least don't trigger them in v30.2a)
Adding a monster replacer and disabling EVP monsters seems to remove the few extra desyncs I experienced, despite the fact disabling EVP monsters WITHOUT a monster replacer didn't help. I'm gonna assume disabling the EVP monsters without a replacer still creates custom monsters that look like vanilla but aren't actually the vanilla actors. All maps tested only had a handful of available enemies that could cause the issue since these were MAP01 of Doom 2, E1M1 of Doom and E1M1 of Doom The Way Id Did, so overall the only common monsters are Shotgunner, Zombie and Imp.

Edit 2 :
Some more information. The monste replacer I tested that with (Ashes 2063 Monsters) replaced the explosive barrels as well as the enemies, and the Scripted Marine classes (pistol and shotgun) as well as a single decoration, the Livestick. I'll start looking at monsters, EVP's explosive barrel and livestick if it replaces it !

Edit 3 :
Found the culprit of one of the desyncs I think. There is a state effect that is applied based on the consolePlayer. From what I was told this will cause desyncs, getting a bit late here, but I'll try to fix that tomorrow and see where I can go from here to debug the rest of them (I think there might be either ONE other class used by most props at cause OR all props classes are) !

I'm gonna do some more extensive testing and report if anything else helpful comes up ;)
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

I never bothered with multiplayer compatibility and probably never will

Return to “Gameplay Mods”