New features (last update 8.8.2005)

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Nash wrote:ZDoom's still lacking player footstep sounds! ;)
RTC proves otherwise :).
Nash

Post by Nash »

The footsteps in RTC aren't really footsteps, because they only play when the player falls into a sector that is lower than the sector he was previously in.

Which is basically what Cory's splash.wad does.

What I had in mind was actual footstep sounds that alternate from left footstep and right footstep as the player moves on any surface.

This is kind of easy if the player can be modified through DECORATE - just make the walking frames play sounds.

Using the above however won't make it possible for the player to have different footstep sounds for different sectors. For example, footsteps on a wooden floor obviously sounds different than footsteps on a metal surface!

EDIT: Hmm, maybe have the walking frames spawn an invisible sprite that gets destroyed immediately. Since it'll "drop" onto the floor, you can have different footstep sounds for different textures! It would be REALLY noisy if ther sector has thousands of monsters on them, though. Still wouldn't work for the player because there's no way to modify the player through DECORATE.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Dehacked?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I think that may be a real resource eater with a number of things in a room. Imagine the size of a wad containing sounds for each floor type, for each different actor. Also then imagine Zen Dynamics style shell casings as well (Well we seem to be after a realistic game don't we?). I don't see that wad being the friend of many 56kers.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

TheDarkArchon wrote:It's a custom version:
MartinHowe wrote: get it here.
I know its a custom version. I'm running it with the resources from the lastest community 96x build and i keep getting this error message:

Code: Select all

The Self-modifying code section code not be made writable. 
It's not the zdoom.wad because i keep getting the same message with it in and out of the directory and i've re-installed and re-patched my doom2.wad file. Furthermore, this isn't fixed with the origional 96's resources (zdoom wad and fmod). Martin, any suggestions?
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

The hacked 96x that I made was run with an original copy of DOOM2.WAD and the fmod.dll and zdoom.wad from 96. Works for me! Is this with the .EXE file from the zip file zdoomfx.zip or was it a locally compiled zdoom.exe? What operating system is it being run on? Has anyone else had trouble with it? Recall that this is a hack of 96x from 29 July and it definitely works with the zdoom.wad from that, I just tried it! The fmod.dll is the same as .96, by the way.

At the end of the day, this was a proof-of-concept and although there was a with a fair amount of work put in to make it correct, I didn't have as much time to spend on it as I would like and don't know the internals of ZDoom as well as, say Graf or Grubber; it is quite possible that there are a few bugs. Besides, Randy may not even use any of it :(
Last edited by MartinHowe on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

randy wrote:- Fixed: The self-modifying code in tmap3.nas was still in the .data section
instead of .rtext, so it couldn't be used with data-execution prevention
enabled.
:P
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Which, if that applies to my zdoomfx hack as well, makes sense - my old late-2002-era P4 doesn't have DEP, so I wouldn't have noticed.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

How can you test for the players accuracy level in Strife? Testing for "UpgradeAccuracy" doesn't work.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You can't. But it should be added.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

That screws up my little Strife WAD, then....
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You can always define an item that gives an UpgradeAccuracy but also gives something you can count and use that instead.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

It's a mini-weapons mod so that won't help.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

New version here.

Fixed expression parser (stated here), removed user variables because they aren't going to be implemented the way it was in last .96x, added invcount(type) function. Added FRIGHTENED flag to make monsters act like when anubis cheat is active.
Last edited by Grubber on Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Grubber wrote: EDIT: Couldn't upload the file :?. Seems like you have to wait for the drdteam.org server move (1 week I suppose).
:cry: I soooo want the new version.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”