New features (last update 8.8.2005)

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48377
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:Just in case you misunderstand me; no, I'm not one of those anti-OpenGL purists. I like GZDoom, and most of the time runs smoothly for me. I have no problems with it. It's just that some of the over-detailed wads tend to get unplayable in OpenGL, in which case I use .96x.
What kind of system do you have? For me GL is significantly faster than software rendering. The more complex a map becomes the larger the difference.
User avatar
Enjay
 
 
Posts: 26430
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Scotland

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:Plus Doom was always meant to be a 2-d, software renderer game. My opinion.
Although John Carmack did make a statement about the kind of things he hoped people would add to Doom as a result of the source release. One of the things he mentioned was 3D acceleration.

In fact, I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of the things he hoped for have now been added. However, I can't remember what they all are.
User avatar
TheDarkArchon
Posts: 7656
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Some cold place

Post by TheDarkArchon »

For the Source Releases README file, John Carmack wrote:Port it to your favorite operating system.

Add some rendering features -- transparency, look up / down, slopes,
etc.

Add some game features -- weapons, jumping, ducking, flying, etc.

Create a packet server based internet game.

Create a client / server based internet game.

Do a 3D accelerated version.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48377
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote: Plus Doom was always meant to be a 2-d, software renderer game. My opinion.

That may be your opinion but it is as wrong as saying that the sound of old movies is meant to be mono. It's a classic purist's argument. By the same reasoning ZDoom was never meant to be because Doom was meant to be a DOS only low resolution game with hard coded limits that can make mapping a pain in the ass.

The reality is that the makers used the technology available to them at the point it was made. If there had been something better it would have been used.
User avatar
Belial
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm

Post by Belial »

Graf Zahl wrote:It's a classic purist's argument.
Fortunately enough, it's still valid for one helluva lot of people. The rest of your post is just the usual rant crap.
User avatar
TheDarkArchon
Posts: 7656
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Some cold place

Post by TheDarkArchon »

How's it crap? It's a perfectly valid point.
User avatar
Belial
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm

Post by Belial »

No it is not. A 3D renderer is in no way necessary. However, the other elements he mentioned are genuine limits that have been removed for valid reasons. Thus the comparison and the main point of his rant fail it.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48377
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

Your tendency to declare everything you don't like crap doesn't help you making your point. The world is gray and not everything can be described in black and white.
User avatar
Belial
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm

Post by Belial »

Graf Zahl wrote:The world is gray and not everything can be described in black and white.
I had doubts after the worst movies thread but now I'm dead sure. You are one of the worst hypocrites I know.

First you diss the people who disagree with you with that ridiculous comparison, and now you're telling me that the world is gray? You are the one that doesn't know the word 'compromise', not me.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48377
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

Belial wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:The world is gray and not everything can be described in black and white.
I had doubts after the worst movies thread but now I'm dead sure. You are one of the worst hypocrites I know.
And you are not? You are quite fast to dismiss something you don't agree with as crap.
First you diss the people who disagree with you with that ridiculous comparison, and now you're telling me that the world is gray? You are the one that doesn't know the word 'compromise', not me.
Compromise with purists is rarely possible so I'm not surprised by your reaction.
User avatar
TheDarkArchon
Posts: 7656
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Some cold place

Post by TheDarkArchon »

It's a bad time to have no mods here. I think it's time a European was a mod for more complete coverage around the clock. I'd volunteer for the job, though admittedly I'm not the best candidate for the job.
Last edited by TheDarkArchon on Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Belial
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm

Post by Belial »

Yes I am quite fast to dismiss a ridiculous comparison that I see as an attempt to insult the people who disagree with you.

And now once again you do the same stunt with the 'Compromise with purists is rarely possible' line. You're right actually, because I am not trying to find that compromise. Not that it would make sense after what I have seen as evidence of your views. You can call me a 'purist' (which is obviously an insult the way you say it), I can call you a 'port fanboy', it'll all be the same disrespectful crap. Let's leave it at that.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48377
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

TheDarkArchon wrote:It's a bad time to have no mods here. I think it's time a European was a mod for more complete coverage around the clock. I'd volunteer for the job, though admittedly I'm not the best candidate for the job.
Shall I volunteer? Keep in mind though that I'll be much quicker with the locks than the current mods! ;)

But our resident flamer is still a complete jerk.
User avatar
Bio Hazard
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:15 pm
Location: ferret ~/C/ZDL $

Post by Bio Hazard »

And so ends a quite useful thread...

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”