[WIP] Welcome to FANCY WORLD (07/04 V2 Rewrite!)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SiFi270

Re: [WIP] Welcome to FANCY WORLD (V1 Released)

Post by SiFi270 »

So I got a couple of screenshots of what I'm talking about.
Spoiler:
Edit: I've also discovered that the deep water effect causes bubbles to appear on the floor instead of on the surface. If it helps, I discovered this in E1M2 of Phobos Anomaly Reborn.
Spoiler:
Midnight_King

Re: [WIP] Welcome to FANCY WORLD (V1 Released)

Post by Midnight_King »

Does this work with Heretic?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Welcome to FANCY WORLD (07/04 V2 Rewrite!)

Post by Kinsie »

Version 2 has been released. See the OP for the scoop.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

weewoo weewoo bug report right off the bat
e4m1
the floor is lava (lava bubbles appearing on solid floor)
it's because of the "raise floor and change texture" thing
happened on a larger sector too, where the bubbles were spawning at the center

and there's something on e3m4 that causes a ctd
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

comet1337 wrote:

weewoo weewoo bug report right off the bat
e4m1
the floor is lava (lava bubbles appearing on solid floor)
it's because of the "raise floor and change texture" thing
happened on a larger sector too, where the bubbles were spawning at the center
I think this was fixed for nukage, so odds are I can easily transfer this over for lava.
comet1337 wrote:and there's something on e3m4 that causes a ctd
Kinsie wrote:Please update to GZDoom 4.0.0 before using this. A bug in GZDoom 3.7.2 causes Very Fatal Errors in certain Doom 1 & 2 IWAD maps.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Post by WallyTheBoogieBug »

Would it be possible to boost the volume of the sounds? Some mods' volumes are quite loud and these so quiet it can be hard to reach a balance where I can actually hear the ambient sounds and not have my eardrums blown out. Hell, a volume slider for the ambient sounds would be great, if such a thing is even possible.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'll be honest, one of the things that I really like about this mod is the fact that the sounds are subtle. They are definitely there, but they only sort of encroach on your consciousness, creating a more realistic world rather than the usual approach of "I AM AN ADDED SOUND - PAY ATTENTION TO ME". ;)
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

This is fantastic. I often play Doom without music but the game often feels a little dead like that. This mod fixes that for me. Thank you so much. :)
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

I can see this is still being updated, plus the ObAddon texture WAD has since updated, if you're still on this (if you're still interested in ObAddon, that is)
40KN

Post by 40KN »

Thank you for the mod, in addition to your continued support. I noticed one spot in E2M2 where the issue of bubbling effects remaining once a platform has lifted still exists. You can see the issue here: (bad screenshot, there's a lot more bubbling normally). To be more specific, it is the area where you can press a switch in order to raise a platform upon which a chaingun sits, seen here on the map: .
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Quick bug report:

While it may be commonplace for sounds to play really quietly, sometimes the sounds won’t play at all. I’ve noticed that this tends to occur when loading a level from a savegame.

EDIT: This also seems to occur when moving from one level to the next. At the very least, there are way less sounds encountered than just loading up that level via a fresh game. Case in point, there are only maybe 2 to 3 sounds max coming from a little computer wall, but that’s about it.

Also interesting to note is that while sounds may not even show up, the bubbling for certain flats (slime, lava, blood) still show up.
PhysixCat

Post by PhysixCat »

Hello Kinsie,

First of all - thanks a bunch for your mod, I love it. Breathes new life into maps.

I'm writing to ask if it would be possible in your current implementation of the code to add a toggle ON/OFF from the in-game Options menu? Particularly to get around the rare maps with huge lava seas (which you mention in Known Issues) and their respective performance tank. Or would this be impossible without restarting GZDoom? I know I could just restart GZD without loading the pk3, but the problem there is that a savefile using FancyWorld will result in a crash if loaded without FancyWorld.

Another interesting observation I made while replaying through the IWADs again - "MAP20: Gotcha!" from Doom2 lags extremely hard (~15 fps) after the room with the cyberdemon+spidermastermind fight (probably because of everything, including the roof, being lava). However, "E3M6: Mt. Erebus" from Doom does not lag that hard, even though it also has a lava sea. I noticed that MAP20 uses a different darker red lava than what E3M6 uses. I wonder why there's such a stark performance difference between the darker red lava and the yellower lava?

http://ian-albert.com/games/doom_2_maps/MAP20.jpg
http://ian-albert.com/games/doom_maps/E3M6.jpg
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

I wonder how easy it would be to make a version of this that's fully compatible with D4V. Doom 4 Vanilla changes the colours of the liquids. The result is that when playing with Fancy World and D4V together one ends up with green bubbles coming from red liquids.

So, would this be an easy thing to do? I've no idea how to mod but with some pointers I'd like to give it a try. I've already got Slade installed ready to go.
Plonkett

Post by Plonkett »

I'm trying to download the thing, but it won't let me. When I click the download link nothing happens.
mgtroyas

Post by mgtroyas »

Edit: deleted link, not needed anymore.
Last edited by mgtroyas on Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”