The new Doomworld Layout

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
chungy

Re: The new Doomworld Layout

Post by chungy »

The choice of Invision is a weird one. I personally wouldn't trust such a product to have as good a track record for security as phpBB or Discourse.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That's true of any commercial software, although in order for free open software to be secure it also has to undergo community and professional audits. That happened with phpBB, which is why I still use it despite the FUD that was surrounding it back in the Skulltag days.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

printz wrote: 2. Introduction of modern social features makes people much more engaged to communicate and talk to each other. Also, you can call it innovation. Why should we be stuck with classic forum software when we can have new stuff, at minimal costs of transition? The /idgames interface and integration look exciting as well.
In your dreams. That stuff is even worse than postcount++ and a likely tool for some people to make themselves look more important than they really are.

As for the new idgames interface, I have no words for it, just a very descriptive image: :puke:
The art of simplicity has gotten completely lost.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Graf Zahl wrote:That stuff is even worse than postcount++ and a likely tool for some people to make themselves look more important than they really are.

As for the new idgames interface, I have no words for it, just a very descriptive image: :puke:
The art of simplicity has gotten completely lost.
Your comment resonates so much with what I'm now having to put up with respecting our professional regulatory body:
Old, functional, decent site

New, shitty, dysfunctional, mislabeled, unergonomic, Javascript-only, printer-unfriendly site

It is fucking awful. It's a trend made up by Win8 and parasitic sociopathic mobile phone marketing execs. I'm missing gradient buttons and fucking Aero already.

EDIT: Rant over, now actually checking out the--KILL THE WORLD
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I can't wait for this awful mobile phone design trend to pass.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problem is not mobile phone design, but simply shitty design - this happens because apparently all web designers follow the same trends without ever thinking about ergonomics.
And regarding mobile, I fear it will only get worse, because some statistics say that there' more mobile web users than desktop web users. What these statistics do NOT say is what people are doing on the web with which device and for how long. It may well be that desktop use still outclasses mobile use by a factor of 10 if these things are factored in, but nobody wants to know. If some guru says that mobile is the future, they'll all blindly follow. And of course let's not forget that most website designers have no fucking clue how the internet works, I bet most wouldn't even be capable of programming their site themselves, they have their CMS's and that's the end of their wisdom.

Amateurish sites with garish color designs nonwithstanding, 20 years ago the web was easier to use.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Amateurish sites with garish color designs nonwithstanding, 20 years ago the web was easier to use.
Fully agreed. But then again I kind of was growing up when commercial internet was still in its infant stages.
chungy

Post by chungy »

I do miss when the web was more about content than presentation. Not that some presentation is bad, but form over function and all...

It's refreshing sometimes to see totally unstyled HTML. It might not be pretty, but it sure does get to the point.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I will say this: 3DGE forum's default theme had the Mobbern (a commercial) layout. It was flat and bare, much like 99% of commercial web pages designed today.

All I did was add one single background - just ONE background - and it popped out and looked already like 5 times better than before.

It's not difficult to figure out. Flat looks like crap. Period.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

So far I'm pretty positive about the change, even if having to clean out sixteen pages of the follow list was kinda irritating and it's a lot slower. It's definitely going to be nice to check Doomworld on my phone without having to constantly adjust the zoom, and the on-site notifications ( on stuff I actually want to be notified about ) is always something I'm a fan of. Definitely kinks to iron out, but I don't see any reason to not trust Ling with this.

Also, I always find likes far less trite and far more straightforward than "I liked this post!" when that's really the only thought you have on the matter.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Apparently the mail system isn't implemented yet. I didn't remember my password so I went to get a reset, but the email never came, even though it said it would. So now I'm locked out of new pro coolguy Doomworld for the time being :laff:
Gez

Post by Gez »

I don't think Post Hell is gone, just not public anymore.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

I find it kinda odd why people complain about site updates, specially forum ones so much, its still a forum and the basic functions, aka the ones the matter are there.
Not to mention that with new software it should be more secure and easier to update for security risks and the like, as many old classic forum softs tend to slowly just die out in terms of updates.
Like, I dont know 100% if the old software had that issue, but considering the core stuff is there, the outlook is still about the same (it's not bright pink atleast), I just fail to see the problem, specially since if its just the looks, newer software tends to have also easier options for modifying that area, so if admins get bitched at enough, that can change.
Granted, I am not familiar with what doomworld forum uses, but I still feel I am safe to assume this from the current standards, specially if this is commercial.

Removal of post hell is other can of worms tho
but honestly, I found that area to be very silly, public humiliation zone that just enforced circle jerking
and very new user unfriendly.
Spoiler:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

People complain because some of the side effects of the upgrade are not so good. The broken /idgames database, for example is plain and simply unacceptable, leaving the entire Doom community hanging in limbo because each and every link to there is broken.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but that has to be the top priority to get sorted out. Most of the other stuff on Doomworld has little value.
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

I don't really have too much problem about the new UI, but the broken links is a serious problem for me, yesterday I checked all of cacoward links are dead(now is fixed seems, but you can only found them by google or you have the link), and as Graf said, Doomworld /newstuff database 's broken-age is really unacceptable.

Try just google "doomworld newstuff" and those result links from old php pages/ancient ones are DEAD, just empty page or even error page, except those link to the forum threads, switches to the new forum just fine...and the review center just shows your forum account not allow message... :3:

I don't know why the old style front page still not put back yet, but since everything still exists just not accessible so I need some patients......

Or just never come back there until Linguica fixed all of them... :(

Return to “Off-Topic”